Skyrim INI Guide

DoubleYou

Filled in the [Menu] section with the exception of rDebugTextColor. I toggled various "debug" functions but I don't see any debug text.

I also experimented with bUseNavMeshForMovement in the [Actor] section with no noticeable difference that I could see. I started a fight with Lydia in Breezehome and watched her maneuver around the furniture, started a fight with the Whiterun guards so they would chase me all over the Whiterun interior. As far I could tell, the behavior is the same.

Thanks. I switched "specifies" to "sets" on them to keep it consistent with the rest of the guide. I added a note for rDebugTextColor since we really don't know what "debug text" it is referring to.

bUseNavMeshForMovement would be a great setting to test on a save where NPCs are stuck and cannot move. Until a save like that is located to test it on, I'm hesitant to disqualify it as a legitimate setting.

• Finished [Grass] section
  • [Menu] section is mostly complete. Probably could recommend to increase the console size, as a larger console could prove quite useful.

I was thinking it might be the opposite; specifically, that NPCs might try to walk through furniture since the navigate mesh sets a path around obstacles. If I find an NPC stuck anywhere, I'll save and repeat the experiment to see if this makes a difference.

Regarding the menu, I increased the console size to 60% and the text buffer size to 64K. The console doesn't allow specific searches and I find it tends to scroll too much off the top of the buffer. The 64K buffer might be a bit overkill, though.

Guys, navmeshes work by telling the NPCs where they can and can't walk. Without a navmesh the NPCs wouldn't be able to move at all, or shouldn't be able to. This is why when putting mannequins in the game, you have to make a navmesh island that is just a square around the mannequins themselves and not connected to any other navmesh. That's because Bethesda had the brilliant idea of making mannequins NPCs rather than just activators that display your gear. So the mannequins will actually wonder around if you don't do this and end up in your kitchen when you next load the cell. Haha!

Anyway, knowing how navmeshes work, that setting sounds like it's meant to disable the NPCs from using Navmeshes which to me says that they should stop navigating around. It's either that or perhaps it tells the game the the PC can only walk where Navmeshes are if enabled. This could prevent the player from getting stuck since they'd only be able to walk where the NPCs can walk.

You're right, and this is why I was expecting NPCs to try to walk through furniture since the navigation mesh generally puts furniture and other obstacles in an island of sorts. It's possible this setting isn't used in the game or was removed in some update, but I don't have sufficient information at this point to say this conclusively.

There was some discussion a while back about iPresentInterval enabling or disabling VSync and possibly also affecting the timing in the game in some way. Is it still relevant that disabling iPresentInterval affects Skyrim's internal timings?

There was some discussion a while back about iPresentInterval enabling or disabling VSync and possibly also affecting the timing in the game in some way. Is it still relevant that disabling iPresentInterval affects Skyrim's internal timings?

Have a look at this OP ... as well as the link to the results from that.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about bUseNavMeshForMovement, and I think this might affect arrows and bolts, believe it or not. fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist in the same section is believed to increase the distance that arrows can actually hit people, so perhaps turning off bUseNavMeshForMovement might do the same.

My next question would be: If fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist should be raised to increase the distance that arrows can actually hit people, perhaps fNotVisibleNavmeshMoveDist should be raised as well. Except, what is the difference between a visible and not visible one?

See default here.

There was this very interesting discussion in the USKP page about the [Audio] setting uMaxSizeForCachedSound and how to adjust it if problems appear.

Thought I'd keep a link here for reference.

I read through that thread and this is very interesting. I wonder why 65536 turns out to be the magic number in this case, though.

FYI: I also discovered that is an interaction between iConsoleSizeScreenPercent (in the Menu section) and MFG Console in that as the size of the debug console is increased, MFG Console reduces its font size to make everything fit within the remaining available space above the debug console. I probably should have expected this, but i didn't think about it until I needed to grab a FormID for an object and saw dinky little 6pt text that I couldn't read.

I'd bet that it's the SSHD drive that's making the difference. I bet SSD users have no trouble with 4096. For some time I've noticed the issue he describes on my own machine: footsteps, especially from horses, eventually cutting out altogether. I've never earnestly tried to fix it, but this points me back in that direction again most certainly. I'm on a regular HDD.

This is an interesting observation and it certainly makes sense given the difference in speed between hard drives and solid-state drives. I imagine this might be more pronounced on 5400 RPM drives as well given the higher rotational latency. I just checked and see I'm still using the default value since I don't have this entry in my Skyrim.ini.