Download folder getting crowded, how to keep it organized?

xxx78

Question

Hi

The download folder is getting crowded, more than 1500 files there, and I have problems finding files I have downloaded when I need them and identifying what mod they came from.

Before I started using MO I download files info folders that was organised according to category. This made it easy to find things and when a update come out I just put it into the same folder.

Is there some way to organize downloaded files in MO in a easy way? I know most files is identified and MO keep track of what mods they come from. Can these somehow be used to organize them?

Any help is appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Not from within MO, to my knowledge. You can still organize them the old way you were doing it...which is the same way I used to do it...and simply install them using the install button in MO. However, the disadvantage of doing this is the all the mod info such as Nexus ID, version, etc may not get picked up by MO using that method. Speaking from experience, of course.

I initially used Mod Organizer to download and install mods from Nexus, but I decided I didn't like the way Mod Organizer dumps everything into one folder without any real choice. When I setup a new computer last year, I used Firefox to download the mods into a nice hierarchy based on the Nexus category.

A disadvantage of doing it this way is that Mod Organizer doesn't link to the mod on Nexus and doesn't flag mods that have been updated, but the versioning in Mod Organizer doesn't really work that well anyway because of the way mods are structured on Nexus. I mean it complains that Static Mesh Improvement Mod 1.77 is newer than Static Mesh Improvement Mod 1.76 or an optional I've installed is older than the main mod because I'm not using the main mod. This is because it gets the version from the main mod and doesn't really know the version numbers of the optionals and patches. In other words, I never really paid any attention to the version indicators in Mod Organizer after figuring out that most of them are just wrong anyway.

This really isn't Mod Organizer's fault... it 's more a lack of version control in the mods overall combined with the way Nexus dumps everything into one id. I use the Nexus Tracker for the most part to find updates, but even this isn't inflatable since I've found mods that were allegedly updated yesterday even though all the files in the Files tab were dated two years ago.

The biggest advantage to me is that when I setup for a new play-through, I already have most of the mods I need nicely organized so I don't need to hit Nexus that much.

The way I do it is organize it based on where I think it should go (usually make up a category similar to what Neovalen does with SR:LE) then when I want to install it I copy it to the MO download folder and have it query the nexus and install then delete from MO downloads folder when successful.

I see very little benefit to organizing the downloads with MO's name filter feature. Probably a little-known fact is you can type in the Nexus id and find all the files for the mod.

I was not aware of this function. Only used on the left side to find mods. But for now I organize all through, MO and then move them to a "roughly hierarchy" based on similarity regarding where/where it is used. E.g All mods that is related to a hold on the map is put into one category. This can be followers, graphic for things in that area, new quests or things to do in that area, or city improvements. That makes testing easier.

Edited by xxx78