Vanilla Reduced Textures

Besidilo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes: VRT 256 and 512 - v22 
----------------------------
Apologies for this one, this is just a bug fix version. It only affects VRT 256 and 512 ( so no need to grab DG or DB options again ). I found a couple of textures in 512 which should not have been reduced as much as they were ( copy pasta from the 256 version )
But also a glaringly over reduced wall texture in Bleak Falls Barrow ( and no doubt wherever else it was used in game ). If you have been anywhere near the word wall in there recently you will probably have noticed it.

Notes: VRT 256 and 512 Legendary 
--------------------------------
I was gifted Hearthfires, and after having a look at the textures there really is not much that can benefit our goal of saving VRAM ( not enough to warrant making a new plugin and BSA for as a standalone option anyway ). But I decided its about time I did an all-in-one Legendary.
These two Legendary options ( 256 and 512 Legendary ) have an esp which is named the same as the first VanillaReducedTextures.esp and has Skyrim.esm/Update.esm/Dawnguard.esm/Hearthfires.esm/Dragonborn.esm as masters ( The original VRT just has Skyrim.esm/Update.esm as masters ). So do not use it if you do not have all the DLCs installed. Missing masters = CTD.
It is named the same as the original VRT to make it clear that it should replace the others, and because it will keep the same Load Order position as VRT as far as BOSS/LOOT is concerned ( ie we dont need to go bugging anyone to add a new esp name to any masterlist or give it a priority - It already has them ).
So if you use either Legendary option, you also have textures in there which have been reduced for Hearthfires ( a couple of diffuse textures and few normal map textures ).
Also you will not need VRT, or DG, or DB installed. So one plugin replaces three plugins.
These Legendary options have everything all-in-one.

Its uploaded on Nexus

Probably going to be a fair few hours before its finished uploading on AFK Mods ( the files are big and I have just started uploading there at time of this post )

• 2 months later...
Notes: Version 23 - All files
-----------------------------
Recently Tony971 did a mod "Optimised Vanilla Textures", using DDSOpt and the S.T.E.P guide just to optimise all the textures without much in the way of reduction ( some normal maps where reduction would not be noticed, and a lot of changing the format of some textures to more optimal formats which DDSOpt can be rather good at ).

OVT includes every Vanilla texture, and previously, I have only included all the textures which I actually had reason to reduce or change.

I wondered if I tried OVT, with my Vanilla Reduced Textures over-writing them - Would there be any additional VRAM saving from the files I have not optimised before .. I found it did, walking around all the usual test regions in the game I could get between 5-10mb more VRAM saving on top of the huge amount we already save with VRT. This is going to be more beneficial to people who still need to use my 256 options, where every little bit of VRAM does count, but I thought I may aswell do the same for all options, your choice if you want to re-download or not.
So, I decided to do the same to all the files I previously have not included.

For the individual options of VRT it has increased the file count a bit, not significantly because we already included the majority of them.
But the Legendary files have increased quite a bit in file size. However, this will be the last version.

So tl;dr - v23 = Everything you had before, plus textures done with DDSOpt I have not previously included = A bit more VRAM saved throughout the game. Tony971 has given me permission to overwrite his 31000 texture files with my 28000 files, and include the surviving textures from Tony's mod in VRT. In the case of VRT and the DLC individual options, the same method has been used for textures I did not previously include in those sets. All files are updated.

Version 23 will be coming to AFK Mods aswell .. But I do not have time to update the files there at the moment and will be away from home for a week ( It took the best part of yesterday just to update the Nexus files )
Will get around to updating here when I get back.

Meanwhile, if you cannot wait, v23 is up on Nexus.

• 1 month later...

News 03 Nov 14 :

Newer versions than version 23, are only available on Skyrim Nexus due to file size limit on AFK Mods, and the ever increasing size of this mods files which are now mostly above 500mb. This mod will no longer be updated on AFK Mods, and will remain at v23.

Version 24 is at time of writing currently uploading to Skyrim Nexus

Notes : Version 24 

------------------ 
UnOfficial Patch Project ( UPP ) team included more fixed textures in the unofficial patches version 2.0.7 - VRT 24 includes the same textures reduced appropriately for this mod. All VRT files affected. 
There were a number of Terrain textures ( also present in DLCs textures ), Khajiit normal map textures have had a fix to the tail ( both male and female ) whereby the tail bump mapping was inverted causing shadows to be on the top of the tail instead of underneath, hagravenveins is a texture which shows on the inside of foresworn tents if the sun is shining through the fur, this is a redo of a previous fix which was still pixellated. 
And I have been tinkering with a few more textures, just redo's of previously done textures I was not happy with. 
Additionally - The job of integrating some of Tony971 OVT textures in version 23 .. I missed a bunch of them in one or two of the individual VRTs ( as opposed to the Legendary sets ). 
Hopefully, fingers crossed, prays to the nine .. This is the final version.

Please visit Skyrim Nexus for version 24

Edited by alt3rn1ty

• 2 weeks later...

Found another site which is capable of hosting the huge file sizes I need to, I need a backup site to Skyrim Nexus ..

After exceeding the file size limits at AFK Mods, remembered that Tes Alliance has an FTP upload option which gets around the site host file limits.

So now, VRT will be hosted at :

Vanilla Reduced Textures - Skyrim Nexus ( as usual )

+

Vanilla Reduced Textures - TES Alliance

Files are still being uploaded via FTP and need transferring to the mod page downloads, but expect that to happen within the next day or two.

Version 24 I believe is the final version, so these two sites will be the home of VRT hereafter.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

Pure Waters and Pure Weather - Optional files

-----------------------------------------

All textures from Pure Waters, and Pure Weather, by Laast, given the VRT treatment.

Original mods here :

( See the original mod pages above for usage permissions of these textures )

Permission for me to reduce them given here :

The above two solve a heap of nice things, the flow of the water, night time being darker, and the buggy water shore line which has a grey border when it rains or in fog .. Laast has solved it by editing the weathers and providing water textures which go very nicely together - Now you can run the mod on your VRAM limited machines by using my BSA replacers with reduced textures for these mods.

In both mod cases, I have done a set of textures that has been reduced to vanilla sized textures - which will go well with VRT 512. And a set that has had further reductions ( mostly in the normals ), which will go well with VRT 256.

The original mods are required to use these textures. Install the original mod, and then install the appropriate BSA to overwrite the original mods BSA.

You still need the original mods ESP :

In the case of Pure Weather, you can use either Realism or Brighter nights, it does not matter, they both need the same set of textures

And similarly in the case of Pure Waters, either Legendary or Vanilla does not matter, the same BSA and included textures applies in both cases.

In the reduced textures for Pure Weather, I made a couple of changes - In addition to reducing the textures :

Laast has a custom mountain texture set in with the Pure Weather textures, these have been changed slightly to fit with the Vanilla Reduced Textures scheme ( which use version three of Mountain Or Molehill textures ). The textures I use are similar in colour to Pure Weathers, and so still go well with Laast's atmospheric changes, but also come with custom LODs which also suit the distant weather a little better, with the rest of the Vanilla Reduced Texture setup.

Laast also uses a custom sunglare texture, which has a camera lens effect.

I opted for his alternative sunglare which does not have the camera lens effect, but I also made this sunglare have a few more rays than the option Laast provides, and made the sun glare plus rays slightly larger towards vanilla sunglare size. So basicly you have vanilla sized Pure Weather alternative sunglare with Laast's colour, but with a few more rays added, and the sun takes up more of a percentage of the whole texture than Laast's custom version, but not quite so much as vanilla.

Optional files uploaded to TES Alliance and Nexus - For images have a look at nexus Images tab, page 6, last 4 images.

• 3 weeks later...
Notes : Optional Vilja files v4

-------------------------------

This version updates all textures to include new additional textures contained in Vilja v4.

All the old textures have been redone from scratch too, with slightly better detail on the lower resolution.

These textures will be installed as loose texture replacers for the original textures in Vilja's BSA (the game loads loose textures last overriding the ones in the BSA) 

2048 textures reduced to 1024, and as with Vanilla Reduced Textures some smaller textures have also been reduced on a case by case basis. A couple of the smaller Vilja textures are one size larger than Vanilla Reduced Textures equivalent vanilla files, but because they only affect one unique NPC ( Vilja ), and do not apply to anything else in the game I could afford a file or two not being as reduced as I do everything else keeping some quality for Vilja. It works nicely on my old laptop anyway in the VRAM useage department. 

Requires : Vilja in Skyrim https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26393 ( Version 4, upload imminent )

• 1 month later...

News 10 Jan 15 : Optional files, for users of Pure Weather, updated to v2.2a. - I was not happy with what I did with a few of the textures in the first upload of these files so redid them.

News 10 Jan 15 : VRT Update Patch v1 - For use with both VRT 512 and 256 setups. Wrye Bash, NMM or MO will install these as Loose files which will override my BSAs textures. Temporary fixes until I have time to reupload the big files again with these textures included.

• 1 month later...
Notes: Version 25 - All Main files updated

------------------------------------------

Uploaded at Skyrim Nexus - But give it a day or two before trying at its new site page :

The majority of the files still to be uploaded there.

See the new images on the last couple of pages of nexus mod page images for comparison of v24 v v25

The update patch loose files I uploaded previously .. Remove those from your installation if you used them, they are no longer needed.

Many thanks to Starac, who has given me access and permission to use reworked high res vanilla textures from SRO ( no longer available on Nexus ) which blend beautifully, retaining the artistic theme of the games originals, and already saved in their optimal format for each texture. Starac has put in a lot of effort and time on his textures. Now reduced and included in VRT. Land textures in particular benefit, where they fade into adjacent land textures, and also cutting down a lot on the amount of repetitional patterns in those textures when viewed from a distance. There are still some slight patterns detectable if you look carefully ( I dont think its possible to get rid of such problems entirely ), and we are still talking VRT Lo Res so dont expect the game to look amazing on old machines ... but they are vastly improved over v24.

I have had his original 2048 sets ( updated to v1.6 ( and not including anyone elses optimisation of the original SRO textures ) ) in use on the family desktop, and decided to just ask - Glad I did, not only has he agreed, he sent me a very nice bunch of updates to those too.

Before anyone asks - The answer is no, I am under promise not to upload the originals for anyone, otherwise I will be asked to take down VRT.

The conditions of use are I do not use them with anything other than vanilla textures

( so that they match in the blending with adjacent textures in game )

And that I do not pass the originals on to anyone.

So I have used them to the advantage of reducing the amount of repetition that you see in middle distant landscape textures, where patterns become more obvious.

Staracs work on those has eradicated quite a lot of those problems, so when reduced they similarly look better than just reducing vanilla textures.

I have not used all of his textures, mostly just the landscape, but I have used a few more, where the ground texture edge needs similar dirt to the architecture / wall or step for instance.

I also redid all male and female body textures ( from vanilla textures ), the size of some particularly for the 512 versions were wrong in the scheme of things.

+ Lots of other little changes and an odd fix here and there.

All of the above textures have been done individually one-by-one with Photoshop this time, I wanted to preserve every bit of detail I possibly could for these texture updates. This is the last version :)

:cool: Thank you

Also note the new mirror at The Assimilation Lab, will be a permanent mirror.

TAL is in it for the long haul, so will be a dependable backup site to Nexus that allows individual files up to 6gb.

I was having too many problems just trying to edit the mod page on TES Alliance. TESA page is now deleted

Still uploading there, just the Legendary files to go ( all the optional files for Vilja etc will just be on Nexus )

• 2 months later...

Awesome mod. I'm running Optimized Vanilla Textures and Bethesda Performance Textures along side your mod(512 Legendary). Really improves my game. Thank you for the hard work you put in! Let me know if I'd run into any problems doing this. I just run all these mods to make sure everything is covered. No Official DLC TP as it causes macrostutter.

Thank you alty :)

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Awesome mod. I'm running Optimized Vanilla Textures and Bethesda Performance Textures along side your mod(512 Legendary). Really improves my game. Thank you for the hard work you put in! Let me know if I'd run into any problems doing this. I just run all these mods to make sure everything is covered. No Official DLC TP as it causes macrostutter.

Thank you alty :)

:O_o: I would decide what you want to achieve, they both have different design goals, you just need to decide which bunch of 33 thousand textures you want on your hard drive.