Neovalen: You're my Only Hope!

thunderclam

Question

Being that your work has mostly been STEP plus many other mods, I figure this might be the best place to try and troubleshoot a reoccurring problem I've been having. I made two threads about this issue, when I thought it wasn't the same thing, on the General Troubleshooting forum. The most recent one is here:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7899-reproducible-ctd-when-exiting-reeking-cave-during-diplomatic-immunity/

Please check that thread for my Load Order as well as my Mem Blocks Log the most recent time I experienced the crash I described in the thread. I have no idea why exiting Skywatch Pass should tip my Mem Blocks usage so far over the edge that the game CTDs. If I teleport away from the area from within Skywatch Pass via console, I cannot return to the general area in the Tamriel Worldspace without another CTD. I have poked around in TESVedit to see if there are any weird issues, but mostly it's just ELFX Enhancer and I've tried running this stuff with that mod disabled and still experienced the CTD. My current theory is that it's a rogue script. No idea how to check that out. 

What I'm looking for here is some guidance based on TESVedit and my load order in how to approach sourcing this issue. I have rigorously tried different approaches to the area, but the problem seems to be trigger when inside Skywatch Crypt and fighting the bandits added by Helgen Reborn. I've killed some and successfully exited back to the Skyrim worldspace. However, killing them all and doing the same has led to CTD every time. I have no idea why, since the last time I encountered this issue it was caused by aggro'd but unreachable (without console cheating) Thalmor Guards at the Embassy. Retrying that quest and using the console to walk through the necessary walls to kill those guards is what fixed it for me then. I have tried similar methods in Skywatch Crypt to no avail.

So I'm desperate for some help here because I don't want entire regions of Skyrim to be inaccessible due to CTDs.

UPDATE:

The radius of the issue extends pretty wide around South Skywatch Pass (the tower area). This means using the road North of Helgen is impossible without CTD. Fast Traveling works because you are deposited on the East entrance of the town. This time my memory Block Log was under 300 on Block 1 and Under 200 on Block 2 which I think is okay, right? So I don't think I'm hitting a memory bottleneck. The CTD seems less straightforward than that.

So what kind of problem can cause an entire chunk of the worldspace to "corrupt" and cause CTDs?

UPDATE 2:

So I tried simply waiting 24 hours on my test save just before exiting Skywatch Crypt. After waiting, I exited the Crypt and then the Pass and then fast-traveled between the two entrances (North and South) and then walked around outside of Helgen and on the path to South Skywatch Pass (tower). Unbelievably, the problem is gone.

I'd still really like to know what causes this so I can avoid it in future. Hopefully if I get it again, I can do the "wait 24 hours" to fix it!

Edited by thunderclam

5 answers to this question

Helgen Reborn is cranky when you're near the memory limit. The mod author suggests temporarily cranking your graphics settings way down and seeing if that helps:

From his FAQ -

Q - I crash whenever I do ___________.

A - You may be hitting the 3.1 gig memory cap. Try drastically reducing your graphics settings and see if it still crashes. If it does not, you're probably hitting the cap. If that was not it, it's probably a load order issue or something specific to your save game, installed, or worse, uninstalled mods, or rig. Nothing of this sort has been widely reported, so I have to assume it's specific to your setup. Standard mod troubleshooting applies.

Q - I crash when I get near the Thalmor Prison.

A - If you're using "The Cyrodiil Frontier - Fight Against the Thalmor II" they are not presently compatible. In V103 and up, I have done everything I can do on my end. I have also tried to contact MadFrenchie, but it appears they have abandoned their mod. Some people have said they were able to fast travel to the Thalmor Checkpoint and walk over to the prison from there, so you may want to give that a try if you're getting CTD's.

You might try asking over in the Helgen Reborn comments to see if they can help.

@Sparrow: if you can help me figure this out, I'd be terribly obliged.

@Kyl: Yeah but I'm pretty sure the issue isn't caused by Helgen Reborn. It's something else. Have encountered versions of this bug in the MQ and unrelated adventuring before ever starting Helgen Reborn.

Also I can't be hitting the mem limit while using SKSE and Enboost can I? I also don't have the mod he mentions. I'm pretty sure the author wrote that FAQ before modders got around the 3.1 memory limit.

Edited by thunderclam

I did try and ask Neo to take a look in this thread, but he was too busy dying his hair white probably. I am sorry I suck at tech support. I would certainly have tried to help you further if I could. I merely bumped it for you, in hope you would get help quicker. I hope you find a resolution.

I did try and ask Neo to take a look in this thread, but he was too busy dying his hair white probably. I am sorry I suck at tech support. I would certainly have tried to help you further if I could. I merely bumped it for you, in hope you would get help quicker. I hope you find a resolution.

No worries. I did figure out a way to solve the problem that I hope will be applicable when/if it manifests again. I really want to trace it to its source, though. I think it would be beneficial in many ways to understand why this is happening even if it isn't going to derail my experience due to workarounds.