Is 60 FPS not achievable with ENB and this system?

acliff

Question

I have an i7, 16GB RAM and a 4GB GeForce GTX 960.

With 90% STEP configuration and RealVision ENB, I'm getting 30 FPS. With same setup minus ENB I was getting 60 FPS handily.

Is this about what I should expect? I'm new to modding. So, am not confident that I haven't made a misstep somewhere. Hoping that someone with more experience can let me know if I should be able to see higher FPS with this system. I don't want to troubleshoot and flip a million switches if it's never going to happen with this hardware...

Thank you for any insight!

11 answers to this question

Even the best of hardware can still be brought to its knees by ENB. It all depends on how high resolution you play in, and what settings you have enabled, at what quality levels. 

On that set of hardware at 1080p it would be more than possible to go to 40-50+ FPS consistently. (This also assumes that you did not use some weird custom set of .ini files for skyrim with 4k shadow resolution etc.). At least in most locations. 

If you want to try out what is about the best quality/performance compromise you can try out my skylight ENB... if only for bench marking and to get an idea about what is possible to get on your system with current mods, and ini settings (I know, I hate suggesting my own ENB.. but it is easier than to tell how to setup every single quality variable.). You will have to create your own enblocal.ini for that, but plenty of resources on the wiki go over that process. If that is not enough just come back and ask again. 

Thank you. I was using Realvisions ENB ini files. The skyrim inis only modified per STEP.

I'll give your ENB settings a try. No reason to feel bad suggesting them. That is exactly the type of insight/solution I'm looking for.

ENB's are nice to look at but are mainly for screen arching. Almost none are good for smooth playability.

They are enticing but I wouldn't recommend anything other than ENB Boost.

You should try tweaking the enblocal.ini, skyrim.ini, and skyrimprefs.ini. Check out EWI's inis on the Nexus.

The inis found on the RealVision files page with the tweaks in the STEP guide work well.

I'd also recommend the Weather and Lighting Pack by Smile44 (skip the enb user sections).

Throw DYNAVISION inthe mix and you should be happy with the outcome.

ENB's are nice to look at but are mainly for screen arching. Almost none are good for smooth playability.

You should try tweaking the enblocal.ini, skyrim.ini, and skyrimprefs.ini. Check out EWI's inis on the Nexus.

The inis found on the RealVision files page with the tweaks in the STEP guide work well.

I'd also recommend the Weather and Lighting Pack by Smile44 (skip the enb user sections).

Not true, imo. I have perfectly fine and smooth gameplay with Vividian Vanilla Edition.

Going to disagree here. Have been able to get good, smooth gameplay from a couple of ENB's. Vividian and SKylight being amongst them.

I also get great gameplay using Grim & Somber ENB, even in battles with 100+ actors. ENB has a performance hit, but many users still get good performance using it.

Alternatives might be ICIBINE or ZeroENB (not an ENB preset), if ENB is too much for your system.

Edited by Harpalus