Dynamic Distant Objects LOD - DynDOLOD (by Sheson)

DoubleYou

DynDoLod – The Missing Waterwheel

I was running a static benchmark, using Riverwood as the test scene. I finally have DynDoLod figured out or so I though.

When I did my benchmarks with STEP Extended the waterwheel at the mill is missing. Spot was standing at the centered of the bridge.

Here is the missing waterwheel with STEP Extended v2.2.9.1 loaded.

There is the same spot but taken with a STEP Core v2.2.9.1 load.

Here is the same STEP Extended v2.2.9.1 with DynDoLod disabled.

Anyone have an idea what I messed up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hope this is the right place for this. 

Guys,

I'm completely revamping the DynDOLOD mod page for those users that are still having trouble. Now every step has a reference picture. I'm not finished and currently have to leave for work so I'll finish it tonight. Right now the shots are just tossed on the page below the instructions so if anyone can think of a better/cleaner format be my guest at cleaning it up.

If any users are still having trouble with this process after this, they need to stop modding and just play the game.  :innocent: 

In the "Generate LODs" section, it's specified:

the archive should NOT contain a "textures" directory but rather the contents of the textures directory)

I use zip instead of 7z, but unless MO handles those archives differently, I can't get it to recognize the contents unless it's in a 'textures' folder.

Edited by Sydney

It's probably handled differently with whatever you're using. We know the behavior of 7zip and that is what we call out. If you use a different program, you'll have to know how the archive should be set up for skyrim. We can't support instruction for every archive program and their behaviors. With that said, you are correct, the first folder in the archive should be the 'textures' folder.

I was going to ask about that instruction as well. Building off the discussion we had in the T/S thread for this, if you don't build an archive at all to begin with and install into MO's file structure manually (which, for me, is FAR quicker), that instruction set seemed... off. So, to clarify, no matter what installation method/archive type is used, the end result should be a textures folder at the highest level of the mod... IE, I use the 'view in explorer' right-click menu to open it, and the only thing I should see is a textures folder, not the two subfolders, correct?

I have tested DynDOLOD following all guides available and still can not get it to work. I backed up and tried just using DynDOLOD with vanilla Skyrim, but same result. There are no errors in TES5Edit and I have increased all suggested settings a little at a time. There is no crash to desktop, it is just infinite (never ending) loading screen. I have ran the game perfectly without DynDOLOD active. I even tried installing DynDOLOD (per the instructions by the mod author) after the opening mission at Helgen, but still had same result. I understand that you are attempting to introduce a bit more advanced modding to STEP, but the STEP guide clearly says in its description:

"Created by TheCompiler, STEP is a collaborative project with input from the modding community, technical volunteers, and project administrators. The goal is to provide tested and validated methods for establishing and maintaining an enhanced modded Skyrim. Thus, the Guide provides detailed, well-tested build instructions for a solid modding template. New modders can follow STEP explicitly, or more experienced modders may use it as general guide."

This is a direct quote from the 2.9.2.1 project page, and it has been true for all the years I have been using this guide. Some of the statements made by others on the DynDOLOD posts simply do not hold true to what STEP has always been, and what I believed it to still be. As you can clearly see, it states that the instructions in the guide are detailed and well tested, however, as others have previously mentioned in regard to DynDOLOD this is simply not true. It also states that "New modders can follow STEP explicitly" which in the past has always held true, but again in relation to DynDOLOD is simply no longer true. I, and all the many people I have introduced the STEP guide to date would be very disappointed if nothing was done to improve the instructions around the DynDOLOD mod if it is truly as awesome as so many people claim it is (and every forum I have gone to as well). Not everyone is a modder and if the STEP guide is tilting more in that direction then that is truly sad to see. I have been serving in the USAF for the last 16 years and simply don't have the time to become a more invested modder. I, like so many others, rely on expert modders, such as so many of you, to come up with comprehensive guides that I can, with little to no effort, incorporate in to my games in order to garner the best gaming experience possible. I truly admire the work/time/effort that the DynDOLOD mod author (and all mod authors), as well as, the entire STEP team has put into making Skyrim so enjoyable so many years after it has been released. That is no small task. I also appreciate the assistance that some of you have offered regarding my problems with DynDOLOD. I am not out to insult anyone or cause a any problems. My intent was to simply provide some perspective on this particular mod (which again, by all accounts looks awesome) in the hopes that a more clear and decisive set of instructions might be created for those of us that are not as mod savvy, but truly love the STEP guide. However, I joined the STEP forums some time ago, in an attempt to better educate myself on the modding process. I have learned quit a bit, but again I just don't have the time to really sink my teeth into it. I envy those of you that do. Perhaps in 4 years when I retire from the military I will finally be able to. Until then I will continue to rely on those of you with far more experience in these matters. If I have offended anyone, I truly apologize. I will continue to work with the DynDOLOD mod as often as I can, and if I make any headway I will defiantly let everyone know. Thank you.

I have tested DynDOLOD following all guides available and still can not get it to work. I backed up and tried just using DynDOLOD with vanilla Skyrim, but same result. There are no errors in TES5Edit and I have increased all suggested settings a little at a time. There is no crash to desktop, it is just infinite (never ending) loading screen. I have ran the game perfectly without DynDOLOD active. I even tried installing DynDOLOD (per the instructions by the mod author) after the opening mission at Helgen, but still had same result. I understand that you are attempting to introduce a bit more advanced modding to STEP, but the STEP guide clearly says in its description:

"Created by TheCompiler, STEP is a collaborative project with input from the modding community, technical volunteers, and project administrators. The goal is to provide tested and validated methods for establishing and maintaining an enhanced modded Skyrim. Thus, the Guide provides detailed, well-tested build instructions for a solid modding template. New modders can follow STEP explicitly, or more experienced modders may use it as general guide."

This is a direct quote from the 2.9.2.1 project page, and it has been true for all the years I have been using this guide. Some of the statements made by others on the DynDOLOD posts simply do not hold true to what STEP has always been, and what I believed it to still be. As you can clearly see, it states that the instructions in the guide are detailed and well tested, however, as others have previously mentioned in regard to DynDOLOD this is simply not true. It also states that "New modders can follow STEP explicitly" which in the past has always held true, but again in relation to DynDOLOD is simply no longer true. I, and all the many people I have introduced the STEP guide to date would be very disappointed if nothing was done to improve the instructions around the DynDOLOD mod if it is truly as awesome as so many people claim it is (and every forum I have gone to as well). Not everyone is a modder and if the STEP guide is tilting more in that direction then that is truly sad to see. I have been serving in the USAF for the last 16 years and simply don't have the time to become a more invested modder. I, like so many others, rely on expert modders, such as so many of you, to come up with comprehensive guides that I can, with little to no effort, incorporate in to my games in order to garner the best gaming experience possible. I truly admire the work/time/effort that the DynDOLOD mod author (and all mod authors), as well as, the entire STEP team has put into making Skyrim so enjoyable so many years after it has been released. That is no small task. I also appreciate the assistance that some of you have offered regarding my problems with DynDOLOD. I am not out to insult anyone or cause a any problems. My intent was to simply provide some perspective on this particular mod (which again, by all accounts looks awesome) in the hopes that a more clear and decisive set of instructions might be created for those of us that are not as mod savvy, but truly love the STEP guide. However, I joined the STEP forums some time ago, in an attempt to better educate myself on the modding process. I have learned quit a bit, but again I just don't have the time to really sink my teeth into it. I envy those of you that do. Perhaps in 4 years when I retire from the military I will finally be able to. Until then I will continue to rely on those of you with far more experience in these matters. If I have offended anyone, I truly apologize. I will continue to work with the DynDOLOD mod as often as I can, and if I make any headway I will defiantly let everyone know. Thank you.

Moved as this kind of rant does not belong in the DynDoLOD support thread.

What the problem was: ILS with DynDoLOD

Please post your Memory Blocks Log here in the forums in spoilers

[spoiler]
Contents of log
[/spoiler]

Are you running an updated MO, updated TES5Edit (not from Nexus, but the developer version linked on the DynDOLOD mod page), and running LOOT after the entire DynDOLOD process?

He said he was following the instructions explicitly, so if those details are included in those instructions, assume he is. If not, then these are details that should be added (as is anything else we glean from this use case).

Clearly, there is either something jprdrizzt is missing, or there is a detail or two that could be added to the instructions.

@jprdrizzt

You can help by at least posting your log as requested. I would delete the log (to clean up any irrelevant output), run your explicit STEP setup via MO as instructed by the guide, and then post your fresh log output inside spoiler tags (assuming/after you get a crash). Also note any details that happen from the time you launch until the time you crash (game launches successfully or not, crashes after some point in the game, indoors/outdoors crash, no memory log output, etc.).