Mod Content Column

oqhansoloqo

Question

This new feature in MO is very nice.  One thing that I think can be improved though is this: the list shows which mods have BSAs, but the content of BSAs are not shown in the list.  Since BSAs seem to be easily read by MO to see the content within (which includes all of the content that MO can detect outside of a BSA for the purpose of the content list feature) for the purpose of correct load order and conflicts etc... then why not have the content list show what's inside the BSAs in the list also?

Example:  a mod has an esp and a bsa (which includes textures and scripts).  Currently, the list will show that mod containing - ESP, BSA.  And that's all it will show...  It would be better if it showed - ESP, BSA, TEXTURES, SCRIPTS (even though two of the content types are within the BSA).

EDIT: Currently, it seems the only way to see what is in BSAs in mods is to go through the hassle of extracting the BSAs manually.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

3 answers to this question

I reckon the reason will have something to do with memory overheads. That 'Contents' column is populated on each MO start so I would guess doing a search through each BSA would add a fair amount of time and memory to an already lengthy process.

I do agree with you though, if all the types of files could be displayed easily and clearly then that would add to an already good system.

Regarding viewing the contents of these files from inside MO. If you configure a default viewer for BSAs in Windows, something like, BSA Browser or BSAopt or even DDSopt, then you can right-click for MO's context menu and select 'Open' and the file will be opened by whatever Windows sees as the default BSA program.

Then an extra feature can be added to run after MO is already loaded that allows the program to show the full contents of all mods with BSAs in them - like the way you can ask MO to look for mod updates.  Why not?  Sometimes you don't want to go manually extracting all of your mods that include BSAs (at least now you can see which ones those are easily) in order to see what kinds of content are in each one.  That takes longer - a lot longer.  I know - I've done it before. :)