Is Fallout 3 compatible with Windows 7?

Brainfever

Question

https://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_3_and_Win_7_64_Bit

I've informed Kelmych about this. It seems that the Fallout 3 community back in the day noticed there's a huge memory leak when running the game under Windows 7. After discussing this issue with BlackRampage (author of the Blackened patches) and doing some research on my own, I've come to the conclusion that there's no real solution for this problem.

1) Running the game in compatibility mode doesn't work. Trying to apply compatibility mode on fose_loader.exe causes my game to crash on startup.

2) The famous ini tweaks "bUseThreadedAI=1 "and "iNumHWThreads=2" help a lot in avoiding some major gamebreaking CTD's/freezes especially in the intro-birth scene, but certainly are not a solution to the general problem. Probably they just delay it.

3) The "pcb(purgecellbuffers)" console command that clears cashed cell data from RAM is also a good way of delaying the memory overflow crash. A mod that I tried I think it was the Purge Cell Buffers mod which does this automatically for you whenever you change a cell has a bad scripting and at some point causes CTDs in certain cells itself. In the comments of this mod you can find a fixed script that someone posted or you could try another mod doing the same thing.

4) ENBoost doesn't seem to deal with the memory overflow problem at all. Or maybe it does, I haven't tested it thoroughly since I just don't use it for other reasons (it makes my game stutter horribly with my ENB preset-AMD card)

Conclusion: All the above were tested on my end on both a completely Vanilla FO3 setup and a heavily modded one. I would have a random memory overflow CTD on any time between 10-20minutes of gameplay up to even 1 or 2 hours. They are completely random CTDs and not reproducible. Mod incompatibilities doesn't seem to have any kind of connection with these CTDs. Sometimes I would get visual basic related crashes too.

As of now it seems that the memory related crashes would be fixable only if Bethesda would release the sourcecode for Fallout 3 so maybe the executable could be edited to fix the memory leak problem. The visual basic related crashes probably would be fixable by the guys who developed FOSE, but they have stated they won't release any new version of FOSE.

I guess my last effort will be a separate partition for Windows XP and see what happens there, but it feels already such a big setback.. Just wanted to share with you guys anyway.

1 answer to this question