Question About Mod Conflicts

Jax765

Question

I'd like to know, does it affect performance/loading times when you have, say, a texture pack overwriting textures from another pack? For instance, right now with New Vegas, I'm using a number of texture packs, but would like to install a mod that addresses several objects that are missed by the other packs, without overwriting the objects that are effected by those packs. Would the best solution be to simply place it towards the top of my mod list, or to leave it where it is and delete/hide the necessary textures?

On a similar note, is is possible to select multiple items in the conflicts menu and hide them? Kind of a pain having to do it for each individual one.

Edited by Jax765

5 answers to this question

I don't think that having conflicting resources has a noticeable effect on performance; Mo Organizer seems to be very efficient in how it handles these conflicts. I don't think there is any performance difference between putting a mod early in install order and hiding resources with higher priority (later installation) or installing the mod late in the order and hiding some of its resources. I'd suggest choosing whichever approach requires the least resource hiding.

In the filetree tab you can select multiple resources using shift select or even ctrl select (for resources that aren't adjacent) and then right click and pick hide.

I see. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to keep it in mind :)

Also I know about the filetree thing, but if I want to hide all conflicting files from a mod while being able to see them, I have to select them bit by bit. The filetree doesn't show what conflicts, at least in version 1.2.18.

There should be no impact on performance when you execute the game from MO as all the files that will be used have already been prepared for the VFS when you initialise the MO UI on start up, or when moving mods in the left-hand pane.

As for the comparing of files in the filetree, that could probably be another UI feature that might be implemented, or allowing selection of files in both the filetree and the data tab of the right-hand pane.

I see. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to keep it in mind :)

Also I know about the filetree thing, but if I want to hide all conflicting files from a mod while being able to see them, I have to select them bit by bit. The filetree doesn't show what conflicts, at least in version 1.2.18.

File conflicts can be hidden from the conflicts tab that are in the top section “provided by this modâ€. The mod has to have priority. You would have to temporarily move mod priority to do what you want.  This will allow you to see the conflicts and hide them from the same place.

File conflicts can be hidden from the conflicts tab that are in the top section “provided by this modâ€. The mod has to have priority. You would have to temporarily move mod priority to do what you want.  This will allow you to see the conflicts and hide them from the same place.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm asking. From the conflicts tab for a mod, you can hide files that conflict with other mods. But right now, you can't select multiple files and hide them at the same time, you have to do it one at a time.