Realistic Water Two merge still not working properly in TEST5Edit (thread title update)

peppergomez

Question

is the error message I get. I'm guessing that refers to either the Realistic Water Two or Realistic Water Two - ENB Textures folder? Each has content in it.

I click Explore and it opens the MO>Overwrite folder, where there is an empty folder called TES5Edit Backups. Maybe I should delete this folder?

I researched this message but haven't found a conclusive answer on what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks.

Edited by peppergomez

13 answers to this question

is the error message I get. I'm guessing that refers to either the Realistic Water Two or Realistic Water Two - ENB Textures folder? Each has content in it.

I click Explore and it opens the MO>Overwrite folder, where there is an empty folder called TES5Edit Backups. Maybe I should delete this folder?

I researched this message but haven't found a conclusive answer on what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks.

You can delete it. The directory is created by TES5Edit in your overwrite folder and unless you clicked make backup after editing and saving something the directory will be empty. It will be recreated the next time you used TES5Edit and will be empty and can be deleted again.

I don't think that the merge is happening correctly in TES5Edit. I have followed the instructions and selected these files to merge:

• RealisticWaterTwo.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Falskaar.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Falskaar.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Wyrmstooth.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Wyrmstooth.esp

After following the necessary steps, in the Save Changed Files window, I see the following:

• RealisticWaterTwo.esp
  • Realistic WaterTwo - Merged.esp

Shouldn't all 6 of the esp files have been merged into the one single Realistic WaterTwo - Merged.esp file?  

However, if this output of 5 esps is correct in the Save Changed Files window in TES5Edit, should I check all 5 esps files before closing? RealisticWaterTwo.esp is unchecked by default.

I've tried this twice now and get the same results

However, I do notice in my MO>Overwrite folder that there's only the one esp file- Realistic WaterTwo - merged.esp as well as a textures, sound, and meshes folder.

I'm confused.

Edited by peppergomez

Make sure you are using Merge Plugins xEdit Script v1.9. This goes into your 'TES5Edit/Edit Scripts" folder.  After you merge you SHOULD have only the merged ESP, plus meshes, textures, and sound folders in your overwrite folder. Rename your merged ESP in your overwrite folder to "RealisticWaterTwo.esp" for compatibility. Then on the left pane scroll down to the your overwrite on the very bottom and right click and select "create mod" calling it "Realistic Water 2 - Merged" or something similar. Move the new mod under the original Realistic Water Two mod in the left pane and active it by checking it. Finally uncheck the original mod.

Right, I know how to do those steps, and I have v1.9 in my Edit Scripts folder. The process has been working fine thus far in the guides for all merges done in TES5Edit but for Realistic Water I encounter the results described above. I'm following the same steps, so I've no idea what's causing this.

Edit--

I DO only have the merged ESP in my overwrite folder plus meshes textures and sound folders.

What I'm referring to is that the results in the TES5Edit Save Changed Files window display 4 of the original esp files (that is, the pre-merged esp files, see my post above) and the RealisticWaterTwo.esp 

This differs from all other merges I've done in TES5Edit, where the only file that I'm prompted to save in the Save Changed Files window is the merged esp (in this, it would be RealisticWaterTwo.esp).

So I'm confused by this and by which of the 5 esps I should check before closng the window.

Edited by peppergomez

OK I think I might know what might be causing this-- BOSS sorts Realistic in the following order, which differs from the order Neo presents in his list below.

BOSS:

• RealisticWaterTwo.esp Version 1.11 Active
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp Active
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Wyrmstooth.esp Active
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Wyrmstooth.esp Active
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Falskaar.esp Active
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Falskaar.esp Active

SR:

TES5Edit Mod Merge Required: (Merging Guide)

Files to merge:

• RealisticWaterTwo.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Falskaar.esp
  • RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Falskaar.esp

Can someone let me know if it will be necessary for me to use BUM to move any of these around? I don't see a way to order them within MO because the individial esp files are only visible in the File Tree tab for the mod.

You can just manually sort them in the right pain of MO before starting TES5Edit.

Right, I know how to do those steps, and I have v1.9 in my Edit Scripts folder. The process has been working fine thus far in the guides for all merges done in TES5Edit but for Realistic Water I encounter the results described above. I'm following the same steps, so I've no idea what's causing this.

Edit--

I DO only have the merged ESP in my overwrite folder plus meshes textures and sound folders.

What I'm referring to is that the results in the TES5Edit Save Changed Files window display 4 of the original esp files (that is, the pre-merged esp files, see my post above) and the RealisticWaterTwo.esp 

This differs from all other merges I've done in TES5Edit, where the only file that I'm prompted to save in the Save Changed Files window is the merged esp (in this, it would be RealisticWaterTwo.esp).

So I'm confused by this and by which of the 5 esps I should check before closng the window.

You should only have the merged ESP plus meshes, textures, and sound folder in your overwrite after the merge. TES5Edit should only save the merged ESP if you did things right. Make sure the ESPs are in the correct order before the merge and move them manually if they are not.

Edited by DanimalTwo

See attached screenshot. What is throwing me off is the fact that after I finish the merge is TES5Edit there are 5 esps in the Save Changed Files window, when I am expecting to see only RealisticWaterTwo - Merged.

How should I proceed on this window?

Note that in the MO Override folder, it's only the RealisticWaterTwo - Merged.esp and the meshes, textures, and sound folder after the merge.

PS Why don't these forums allow for file uploads? It would have been easier to just upload that screenshot. Any attempt to attach a file to my post fails. The max is 10MB and my image is under 1MB, but "Error This Upload Failed" is the default message when I try to upload.

lightbox

Edit- lovely, I see that not even clicking the Image icon and psating in the URL for the image on Flickr works. What's the deal with these forums making it so difficult to post screenshots?

The Save Changed Files window in TES5Edit after the merge:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87635527@N04/16698977120/in/photostream/lightbox/

Edited by peppergomez

That should not be happening. You by chance did not do the following: "Do not overwrite the mteFunctions.pas installed earlier from Merge Plugins TES5Edit Script as it is more up to date." with the Real Shelter for RSPatch.esp. If you did, re-install Merged Plugins v1.9. Then try again.

Thanks for taking a shot at this. I replaced the Merged Plugin v1.9 with a fresh one in the Edit Scripts folder, just to be sure, and verified that the settings in TES5Edit are correct. But I still get the same damn result.

5 checked esps in the Save Changed Files window. 

At this point, I don't think it's user error on my part b/c I've followed the instructions to the letter, at least AFAIK.  I've done this merge process in TES5Edit for every one mod so far in the SR install and it's worked perfectly. I think there might be an issue with the Realistic Water Two mod. It seems to ONLY be merging the Realstic Water Two Falskaar esp files, and none of the other ones.

Can anyone assist? 

• RealisticWaterTwo.esp
  • Realistic WaterTwo - Merged.esp
Edited by peppergomez

Let's see if we can sort this out.

Skyrim.exe, and the corresponding *.exe files for all the other games xEdit works on, is a necessary file that adds hard-coded records found in the game's executable. It is generated by xEdit based on the file: Skyrim.Hardcoded.keep.this.with.the.exe.and.otherwise.ignore.it.I.really.mean.it.dat

As for the screenshot and your confusion, are you asking why the four other RealisticWaterTwo files are also bold and why xEdit (the generic name for TES5Edit) is asking if they can be saved?

If that is the case it is because during the merging process FormIds are renumbered in those files so that when they are merged the resultant merged file, in this case: RealisticWaterTwo - Merged.esp, is correct. Simply uncheck those other plugins and save ONLY your merged file.

All of this is plainly stated in the Merge Script mod page and @Mator's documentation and videos

• +1 2

Thanks Grant. 

BTW should delete the original Realistic Water Two mod from the left column in MO once I've done this step:

Post merge rename the output file RealisticWaterTwo - Merged to RealisticWaterTwo.esp to retain compatibility with patches

Right now I've got a Realistic Water Two - Old (I added "old" so that I would be able to differentiate the two mods) and Realistic Water Two. As well as the Realistic Water - ENB Textures

PS Sorry Danimal I marked your comment down b/c it would have been unnecessarily confusing if Grant hadn't addressed it, but I didn't intend to "dis" you personally. I'd undo it if I could.

Edited by peppergomez