RUSTIC SOULGEMS (by Gamwich and Saerileth)

Octopuss

The empty soulgems have the original color-changing animation, but filled soulgems will now have a pulsing glow animation as well. They look almost like beating hearts trapped in the soulgems. As in real life where smaller animals have faster heartbeats than larger animals, so is the glowing animation with the soulgems. They pulse at different rates, with the grand soulgems having the slowest pulse.

From the Rustic Soulgem's page on Nexus.

I don't know why I didn't just make a gif of Rustic Soulgems instead of posting a series of images. How silly of me. Heres a gif showing what they are like more accurately.

Not the best gif, it was just me taking screenshots and sewing them together rather then a properly done one, but it gets the idea across

4vnlnF2.gif

I  also put this in the comparisons I posted before instead of the other pics so hopefully now you can compare them properly :)

Edited by Nazenn
  • +1 1

I really like the how this mod adds an interesting set of effects effect to indicate filled soulgems. I still like the more varied colors of the basic soulgems in Soul Gems Differ, and I definitely prefer the black soulgems in Soul Gems Differ since they seem to really convey the inherent evil.

Blacks are not, as you put it, 'inherently evil'. Maybe in extreme bad taste, but as there is no indication that a soul in gem experiences anything except a kind of limbo (The Azura's Star quest demonstrates this nicely) nor is there any indication that, after used, that the soul is not released to it's original intended destination (that I'm aware of...), the worst that can be said is that you have put a big 'DELAYED' next to their afterlife Flight Schedule.

That said, I prefer this new one to the Soul Gems differ. They still have difference from each other apart from size, but they are all also obviously the same material, which isn't the case with SGD. The added touch of differing pulse rates to simulate a kind of heartbeat is an even nicer touch. It feels closer to vanilla while still making them different enough to tell apart with a relatively quick glance.

• +1 2

So just while I have it all set up is there any other comparison pictures or set up pictures with soul gems in certain places or situations that people would like to see on this front?

If not, is this enough people for mod approval? Never been involved with mod testing before so happy to see how it all works on the STEP site.

Blacks are not, as you put it, 'inherently evil'. 

The empty black soul gems themselves are not evil, but they are used as part of necromancy which has been considered evil and corrupting in many of the Elder Scrolls games. In any case I prefer the black soul gems to have a black color. I also prefer that the black soul gems look quite different than the other soul gems, even if they aren't colored black. In TES lore they are not just another soul gem type that is otherwise identical to the rest of the other soul gems.

By itself, of course, this is only one feature when comparing different soul gem mods.

Fair enough Kel... I think we have differing ideas on the lore surrounding (more specifically, what is believed by various groups vs. what is actually seen), but it's pretty immaterial to the actual subject, so I'll just let it lie. In this particular case, I do feel a need to point out, though, that just because a thing is dark in nature, it's appearance does not have to be so. In point of fact, a great many things that are bad look good, fun, or otherwise attractive. Whay would these be any different, especially when there are groups within the Lore that even now try to get Black Gems accepted as part of the mainstream (necromancy as well, since you bring that in, and correctly so, btw).

I think we're good Nazenn. Thanks for your time in doing this!

The black soul gems are a darker color than the rest of the gems so there's still a bit of a distinction. Just not as large as one in Soul Gems Differ. Personally, I like the textures. They're fresh from what we've used for ages now. They're also a bit more refined and closer to vanilla. The effect is a nice touch as well. I still want to try these out in-game, but so far I like what I see.

• 5 months later...