Something is Preventing Skyrim from Running

p4ck3tl055

Question

So I've been playing Skyrim since November with my modded setup. Yesterday I started getting some random CTDs - something that's kinda odd because it's been very stable. Didn't think much about it until today when I fired up ModOrgaizer, hit "run" and Skyrim didn't start.

I see the SKSE Loader DOS-window open and close like normal. A few seconds later, I can see Skyrim (tesv.exe) in Task manager, I can see enbhost.exe in task manager, but nothing is working. The MO "locked" window is visible on the screen, but nothing else. Skyrim never starts.

I CAN start Skyrim from the Steam Launcher. I CAN start Skyrim from my "Vanilla Skyrim" profile - which is basically Skyrim, the DLCs, the unoffical patches, SKSE and SkyUI only.

But every other profile I have in MO acts as described above. It doesn't matter about the load order, it doesn't matter about the quantity of mods (each of my profiles have very different load orders, although they do have a core of common mods - they're all based SR:LE.)

I have rebooted, I have re-installed MO, I have re-installed SKSE, I have verified the main Skyrim files with Steam. Nothing has helped. I do see (briefly) a "steamerrorreporter" process start and stop after the tesv.exe hangs. The tesv.exe and enbhost.exe continue to run in task manager, but neither are consuming any CPU time. When I kill tesv.exe, the lock window of MO goes away.

I've tried running with and without ENB just in case. No difference. I've even restored my complete MO setup from last Saturday's backup - nothing.

I don't get any crash messages, I don't have any logs or other info (or I don't know where to go looking for them anyway).

Obviously I can reload things, but I'd REALLY prefer not to do that if at all possible.

(I'm currently re-installing Skyrim through Steam just in case there is something fubarred - hoping to fix any registry settings, etc in the process.)

I'm running MO 1.2.18 (latest version), latest version of Skyrim, version 1.7.2 of SKSE, not sure what version of SkyUI, but I'm certain it was the latest available in November. Skyrim and MO are installed on an SSD (E:) in different folders.

It just boggles my mind why everything was working fine last night, I've not added or changed anything and now it's broken.

Edited by p4ck3tl055

Can someone that has experienced this issue check the Bug Genie, p4ck3tl055 seems to have successfully applied the suggestion offered by @Tannin and now it appears to work. We just need a few other users to confirm it before the 'fix' can be considered official.

EDIT:

Although this thread is specific to Skyrim, I'm lead to believe it applies in all the games so it can be looked at by non-Skyrim users.

Edited by GrantSP