RUSTIC POTIONS and POISONS (by Gamwich)

EssArrBee

You can see the imperfections on the bottles with SLOD. I don't think that many bottles laying around would be perfectly smooth. Plus the light reflects much better off of it. Gamwich's stuff seems to be a little desaturated so it looks better with something like SweetFX or ENB. The paper labels on either are really good. I really like SLOD after installing one and then the other right after each other. There was an immediate difference that I could see in the normal map. Both look more like ceramic to me then like glass, but it's smooth ceramic than the rough stuff you might find in North America.

In my opinion both aren't ideal but I definitely like Rustic Better for several of them. One example is the Strong Poison compare while I realize that it seems Gamwich is going for ceramic as opposed to glass his has a lot less of a glossy plasticy look to them in some cases.

I guess if the point is ceramic then rustic is pretty good for that sort of material. I dunno why I was thinking just glassy material! 

In that case I would also prefer that over current, since it just seems like the current have a bit too much going on and it cannot decide what it want to be. 

After a bit of quick testing, I decided to abandon Radiant Potions mod. The stickers and extra textures look nice, but the detail is nowhere near what Gamwich's mod offers. Plus the additional unique bottles never helped me recognize the potions anyway ::P: And it looked a bit like circus with all those pictures and colours, too.

And looking at the comments, it seems like he does have plans to expand the mod further (I saw something about beer, ale and similar stuff).

Edited by Octopuss

I've always liked the SLOD textures, but even so, I much prefer Gamwich's textures over SLOD.  I've always felt like the SLOD bottles weren't clear on what material they were made from.  The SLOD file option that STEP uses is called 'ceramic', so presumably this is what they are suppose to be.  However, I've always thought the bottles were too shiny to be ceramic, but too rough and imperfect to be glass.

I feel like Gamwich hit a good compromise between an imperfect material like clay and the smoothness of an item that is at least marginally well crafted.  Also, his details are significantly better than SLOD.  Look at the labels, ropes, and feathers; they are much more clearly defined and make the SLOD versions look flat and 2D by comparison. 

It's not AA, it's the detailed part of that texture. I was focused more on the bottles because I liked the imperfections in the SLOD normal maps much more. It gives the bottles a little more life. The labels and feather are little sharper with Rustic, but I don't like the smooth bottles. It's hard for either to really say they are ceramic though, since they look painted and that is where the shininess comes from.

damage skill poison black
Prefer the design of the label on Gamwich and the cork slightly more detailed, but SLOD has more depth to it. Gamwich looks like a label. SLOD looks hand drawn. I prefer SLOD.

skill potion bottle
Looks more like a wooden bottle on Gamwich to me. Prefer SLOD as it has more depth and looks more ceramic.

regen potion
Much better detail on rope and cork on Gamwich. SLOD has sparkles? Prefer Gamwich.

Strong Poison
Highly detailed label, feather!, and lid? on Gamwich. Label looks like a stamp from a seal of candlewax (still Gamwich). SLOD... is that a plastic bottleneck? Who spent the tie cutting out the paper skull that has been glued to the red piece of velvet? And what is that, a bottle opener sticking out top? Gamwich is better.

Attribute potion? blue
Gamwich has a better cork and I love the color tone. The paper on SLOD on the bottleneck is a beautiful touch, and the "straps" look clear and have some sort of writing on them?  Split on this one.

Attribute potion red
Much better rope and cork on Gamwich. Prefer Gamwich.

smaller skill potion
Love the Gamwich cork. Love the SLOD label. Prefer SLOD.

invisibility
Cork and rope on Gamwich are highly detailed. Prefer Gamwich.

spider venom
Less shine and slightly better cork on Gamwich. Prefer Gamwich.

Results: 5 Gamwich, 3 SLOD, 1 undecided.

Now that I'm thinking about it, these bottles would be better served by some mesh edits right? The textures are grey, so the meshes are the ones adding the color through a shader. At least that's how I understand the way it works when color is applied to the same texture over and over to achieve variation. Either that or the FormID has some kind of tint.

Maybe we could mess with it to our own end? I've been watching blender tutorials all day so I can mess with meshes, but the learning curve on this stuff is pretty steep.