Announcement: Mod Organizer 1.3b (the b is for beta) and the future of MO - UPDATED 1.3.5 is out to the public

Tannin

Question

UPDATE

New beta version 1.3.1 available on Sourceforge.

This should fix all reported problems. The only thing I couldn't make any sense of is the report of load order being reverted, could someone please work out reliable steps to reproduce it?

I just uploaded a beta of MO Version 1.3 to sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/modorganizer/files/?

Before I go into the changes, let me first advice against using this version as your primary installation. While it seems to be relatively stable and I've been using it on my own system for a few weeks now I will refuse to even feel bad if this ruins your setup.

Still, I would appreciate any feedback.

Right, features.

• Integration of loot 0.7 beta
  • the integrated loot can now be updated without a new release of MO. (1)
  • the mod list now has a new column that displays icons based on the content of the mod so you can quickly see if a mod contains, say, esps or textures or skse plugins or ...
  • the mod list can be filtered by their content
  • When you click a mod that has conflicts, the conflicting mods now get a colored highlight in the list.

Apart from this there have been a couple of changes under the hood:

• MO is now based on the current version of Qt (5.4 instead of 4.8). Unfortunately this also leads to a 4MB bigger archive.
  • Windows XP is no longer supported.
  • more game-specific functionality has been factored out into plugins. While this won't suffice to support non-gamebryo games right now it may be possible for someone (not me) to write a Morrowind plugin.

(1) To update loot, get the "loot api" download from the loot github page at https://github.com/loot/loot/releases/ and copy the loot32.dll contained within to the loot directory of MO.

Since I already have your attention I'd like to also announce that this is probably going to be the last feature-release of MO, at lease for a while.

This is not saying that I'll stop working on MO but the project has become too large for a single person to work on effectively in their very limit spare time and since it doesn't look like an active development community is forming around MO I decided to focus my time on very specific topics.

This will allow me to work on those things more effectively while allowing me to keep a shred of sanity.

So what I'll continue to do is:

• Fix bugs in the core application
  • Fix severe bugs in the virtualisation library and plugins
  • Add plugin interfaces on demand
  • Work on a new virtualisation library that is more flexible and supports 64 bit
  • Anything that I deem enjoyable. ;)

What I will no longer do is:

• Add any features (unless I deem the implementation fun)
  • Answer any requests for help (be it PM, mail or on the forums) unless it's "I want to help out with MO but I need advice" or something like that
  • Do the german translation
  • Fix "minor" problems or "medium" problems in the vfs system and plugins
  • Maintain "lists" like the categories mappings, configurator settings file,...
  • Work on the tutorials in any way

The reason I will only fix severe bugs in the vfs library is that this lib will hopefully be replaced anyway when the new one is working.

The reason I will only fix severe bugs in the plugins is that I believe those plugins are sufficiently simple that others could easily work on those.

If you don't know, the features implemented in plugins is: all the installers, the tools below the "tools" menu, the diagnostic messages (exclamation mark) and now parts of the functionality specific to gamebryo games.

Known issues with MO 1.3 beta:

• right now filtering by the mod list by "checked, unchecked, update, ..." doesn't work.
  • +1 3