Best Of Both Worlds - A TTW Guide

While I know that these are one or more guides in the planning stages for TTW, I thought I would make one as well, since the guides are really tailored toward both personal tastes and 'my game works with these...yours should as well' newbie-friendliness.

This guide is not meant as a be-all-end-all definitive guide to modding Fallout: New Vegas for a Tales of Two Wastelands playthrough.  It is just the way that *I* do it.

Feedback welcome - I'm thick skinned, so flames won't hurt me...save your digital breath if that's all you wanna do.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:ShadowWhisper/BestOfBothWorlds

Edited by ShadowWhisper
  • +1 1

Post a link in the OP as soon as you have one. Just remember that member guides should look like https://wiki.step-project.com/User:<username>/<guide name>.

You'd be surprised how much work can go into a guide, but once you lay everything out it becomes hard to stop tweaking it and adding to it. People will give you feedback and suggestions as they stumble one it. If you need any help with wiki stuff ask in the wiki sub forum or google wiki markup for the basics.

Post a link in the OP as soon as you have one. Just remember that member guides should look like https://wiki.step-project.com/User:<username>/<guide name>.

You'd be surprised how much work can go into a guide, but once you lay everything out it becomes hard to stop tweaking it and adding to it. People will give you feedback and suggestions as they stumble one it. If you need any help with wiki stuff ask in the wiki sub forum or google wiki markup for the basics.

Will do!  Thanks.  Been dissecting your formatting a bit and tinkering with the code just on my username page - still working on creating the actual subdirectory, but RL seems to intrude every time I sit down and crack my knuckles to learn. LOL

• +1 1

You should be using FNVEdit with TTW itself, not FO3Edit. If you are converting plugins you also need the New Vegas GECK in order to update the plugin version. I have created a basic conversion video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIF-PxlpF08

Do NOT use 3.0.32 with TaleOfTwoWastelands, it WILL break it. You need the current 3.0.33 beta of xEdit.

Do NOT clean the master files for either Fallout 3 or New Vegas, if you do so it WILL break TaleOfTwoWastelands.

What is the explaination for that? It's simple, Broken Steel has bugs in it and it changes records. These aren't detected as Dirty Edits (When in fact this is a REAL dirty edit), another plugin (like TTW, or Point Lookout) will correct this bug further down the load order which IS detected as a Dirty edit being an ITM record to Fallout3.esm. Removing them will leave the BROKEN record in Broken Steel as the winner. Somewhere along the line someone decided that ITM's are dirty edits when they are not, they are ITM's. I won't go into what a dirty edit actually is here as there is no way to automatically detect and remove them. I can make a separate topic explaining these elsewhere.

Some basic stuff you need to know about mod converting:

When converting FO3 mods it is often necessary to look at the original mod in FO3Edit to resolve issues that the script cannot process manually, after the conversion process.

FOSE also has a few functions not present in NVSE and this can cause an issue.

There are great many other things which FO3 has (like certain challenges, or stats) that New Vegas does not have and any scripts with these will need to be repaired.

Fallout 3 has a different system of music/sound than New Vegas does, you may need to replace the music entries in some mods with audio markers on the map.

New Vegas has an updated version of Havok, and badly weighted models that work fine Fallout 3 will crash New Vegas, or work improperly.

There is no .32 ammo/weapons nor are there "shotgun shells" in New Vegas.

There is no "Big Guns" skill or books, this has been replaced in New Vegas with Survival.

It's GREAT to see people becoming more interested in TTW and STEP guides in the works for it. If you have ANY questions about TTW or need help or advice in any way, feel free to post on our forum, or to contact me here. :)

• +1 2

You should be using FNVEdit with TTW itself, not FO3Edit. If you are converting plugins you also need the New Vegas GECK in order to update the plugin version. I have created a basic conversion video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIF-PxlpF08

Do NOT use 3.0.32 with TaleOfTwoWastelands, it WILL break it. You need the current 3.0.33 beta of xEdit.

Do NOT clean the master files for either Fallout 3 or New Vegas, if you do so it WILL break TaleOfTwoWastelands.

What is the explaination for that? It's simple, Broken Steel has bugs in it and it changes records. These aren't detected as Dirty Edits (When in fact this is a REAL dirty edit), another plugin (like TTW, or Point Lookout) will correct this bug further down the load order which IS detected as a Dirty edit being an ITM record to Fallout3.esm. Removing them will leave the BROKEN record in Broken Steel as the winner. Somewhere along the line someone decided that ITM's are dirty edits when they are not, they are ITM's. I won't go into what a dirty edit actually is here as there is no way to automatically detect and remove them. I can make a separate topic explaining these elsewhere.

Some basic stuff you need to know about mod converting:

When converting FO3 mods it is often necessary to look at the original mod in FO3Edit to resolve issues that the script cannot process manually, after the conversion process.

FOSE also has a few functions not present in NVSE and this can cause an issue.

There are great many other things which FO3 has (like certain challenges, or stats) that New Vegas does not have and any scripts with these will need to be repaired.

Fallout 3 has a different system of music/sound than New Vegas does, you may need to replace the music entries in some mods with audio markers on the map.

New Vegas has an updated version of Havok, and badly weighted models that work fine Fallout 3 will crash New Vegas, or work improperly.

There is no .32 ammo/weapons nor are there "shotgun shells" in New Vegas.

There is no "Big Guns" skill or books, this has been replaced in New Vegas with Survival.

It's GREAT to see people becoming more interested in TTW and STEP guides in the works for it. If you have ANY questions about TTW or need help or advice in any way, feel free to post on our forum, or to contact me here. :)

Great advice, all of it, especially about the xedit version.  I will correct that immediatly, as 3.0.32 was the most recent version that I could find, the one I linked to, and the one that I have been (erronously) looking at.

And yes, the FO3Edit is there simply as a 'look, but don't touch' tool as well as an FO3 mod cleaner (NOT the masters).

For the most part, this guide is going to focus on mods that already have properly cleaned and converted ESMs, for end-user ease of use.  Like I had said in the TTW chatroom a few days ago '...for folks who would rather go to a mechanic and let a professional fix the problem than tinker under the hood and possibly break something...' (I go by chaophim on there)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and so yes - a lot of the instructions are going to come from TTW threads pertaining to certain mods.  TTW is an overhaul, which means 'lots of changes' - helping people do the delicate work the right way instead of just taking a 'throw and go' approach to it. ;)

Again, Roy, thanks for the help and if you see me say anything wrong, feel free to slap the back of my head and set me straight.

Edited by ShadowWhisper

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.