Quick Stability Test Question

flyingspatula

Question

I am working on a partial STEP setup no further than "2.G. Landscape & Environment" and I just wanted to get some insight on my way of testing for stability. I basically use god mode, no clip, 1500 running speed, timescale 10000, and fly around low enough to load in textures until it crashes or freezes. This is usually lasts 15-30 minutes. Given the speed at which I am moving around Skyrim, is it reasonable that I get these kind of crashes eventually or do I have some further fixing to do? I am not running out of vram and I am typically using about 1gb of memory for both Skyrim and the Enb running. Rather than asking someone to look at my load order etc, I first want to make sure this is a valid way to test for stability or if it's a far too intense way to test that will always result in a crash.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

This has been discussed before. I'll look for the previous discussion a little later but I think there was an agreement that that testing method was completely erroneousand inconsistent because it stresses the engine in ways it was never intended.

There are many key things that do not spawn when that method it being used which in turn means you are getting a partial result. I find the best way is to either actually play the game for several hours or run around tamriel on the ground. As long as everything is spawning then its stressing the engine in a way it was intended.

Idk, others should still share their thoughts because this is my observation and I don't have the other topic currently on hand.

This has been discussed before. I'll look for the previous discussion a little later but I think there was an agreement that that testing method was completely erroneousand inconsistent because it stresses the engine in ways it was never intended.

There are many key things that do not spawn when that method it being used which in turn means you are getting a partial result. I find the best way is to either actually play the game for several hours or run around tamriel on the ground. As long as everything is spawning then its stressing the engine in a way it was intended.

Idk, others should still share their thoughts because this is my observation and I don't have the other topic currently on hand.

Thanks, I'll try seeing if I can find that thread if its on this forum. That does sound logical, maybe running around on the ground fast but slow enough ai will spawn in each cell would work better. Yes, further input is always hepful. I may try testing the crazy way on a mod-less setup and see if it crashes too.

Quite a bit late on a reply but thanks. I read through that and it seems like it's good for testing meshes and objects added to cells. Someone in thread suggested running at 500 speed on ground which seems to work better. No more random crashing that seemed inconsistent. Moving fast enough to get around the map quickly, but slow enough cells can properly and fully spawn AI etc.