v2.2.9.1 Development

TechAngel85

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you're talking about STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures from the STEP Nexus files?

Where should this go in the load order for testing, and can it be added to an existing save file?

Also I noticed a few typos on the STEP Nexus page:

• The optimised vanilla textures on the files page should be called the Standard and Performance vErsions, not vArsions.
  • Also on the description page, under Latest News, - November 2, 2014

Added Vanilla optimized texture packages, providing compression and mim-map-optimized versions of all vanilla textures not covered by STEP mods.

Fairly sure that should be mip-map.

There may be more, but those leaped right out at me.

I am updating with those and other corrections now. For future reference, we edit the source code from STEP:Main and propagate to the Nexus from there.

EDIT: Propagated 2.2.9.1 Nexus source and email (please don't re-propagate ... just edit the 2.2.9.1 soucre using the main links rather than the "edit/create" links. Source is completely synced with Nexus, including corrections to typos

That's really cool. Not sure if it was directed at me though, since of course I get the error

You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:

You do not have permission to edit pages in the STEP namespace.

as I'm not an admin. Yet.

Since I was on that page though, I did spot another typo:

CREATE A PACK - Use the link at the right to begin creating your own Pack guid. 《Final word should be guidE.

That's really cool. Not sure if it was directed at me though, since of course I get the error as I'm not an admin. Yet.

Since I was on that page though, I did spot another typo:

CREATE A PACK - Use the link at the right to begin creating your own Pack guid. 《Final word should be guidE.

Keep it up and I will make you a wiki admin very soon (just as long as you know what dials not to touch ;) ). Fixed that last one.

Haha well I haven't broken anything yet.

The main thing is, I know to preview, and revert a page if I do mess up... ;)

Good point. I just bumped you to Step/Pack-author groups, which should give you access to most of what has been barred from you recently.

Hey guys. I'm coming back to the optimization scene (finally found my laptop charger). Anyway, I've figured out how to get the plugin-less version of Optimized Vanilla Textures to also be conflict-less. If you have new texture optimization standards, I'll include them when I release the new installation method. NMM users will finally have optimized textures that load before the unofficial patches without needing a plugin or compatibility worries  :dance:

Of course, the only difference I might have is making the collapsed planar textures 16x16 instead of 1x1. It seems to calm some nerves.

Edited by tony971

I updated the OP with a list of the mods which have been accepted for this release. I'm doing this because our new forum works a bit different with our process of testing and accepting. Before the accepted mods would simply get moved to the bottom of the list once accepted. This was done via pinning the threads as we had a separate forum for testing. With the new forum all this is done in the Mods forum and mods are separated out via the tagging system. In this new process, once mods are tagged as Accepted they disappear from the Testing page so users can no longer simply scroll down the page to see what has made the cut. Therefore, posting the Accepted mods to the OP will help users keep track of what mods have been accepted and which ones didn't make the cut and were simply removed from Testing.

I've also moved the two Accepted mods into their proper Anthology forums.

You guys wanna test the Rustic mods by Gamwich? I don't think all of them would make it, but there has to be at least one or two that good. The Silverware and Pottery might be worth a look. I can't tell if they are really what we want to add to STEP from the screens because they are so red/orange. Who thinks that looks good?

EssArrBee - you should install them and see what they look like in the game rather than those screenshots provided on the mod page.  The red-orange look has a lot to do with whatever lighting they had going on when those screenshots were done, because I felt the silverware mod especially looked much better when I had it installed and was viewing it in the game.  Like someone else had said, from the screenshots it almost looked like "stone"wear to me, but in the game it looked much more grey and shiny.  The pottery was just far better than whatever is currently in STEP too (I thought).

I updated the OP with a list of the mods which have been accepted for this release. I'm doing this because our new forum works a bit different with our process of testing and accepting. Before the accepted mods would simply get moved to the bottom of the list once accepted. This was done via pinning the threads as we had a separate forum for testing. With the new forum all this is done in the Mods forum and mods are separated out via the tagging system. In this new process, once mods are tagged as Accepted they disappear from the Testing page so users can no longer simply scroll down the page to see what has made the cut. Therefore, posting the Accepted mods to the OP will help users keep track of what mods have been accepted and which ones didn't make the cut and were simply removed from Testing.

I've also moved the two Accepted mods into their proper Anthology forums.

Good call, thanks for keeping on this ;)

Sparrow Prince combined all his mods on the WATER page and changed the name to The Ruffled Feather. It's a combo of almost all his mods with an installer. We need to adjust the guide(s) for that. I asked about uploading a STEP only optional file for our use and he hasn't responded yet. I don't see why SP wouldn't say yes since I'll be watching over the page now.

He will say, yes' I'm sure, but best to wait. Is City Bump in that? Have you had a chance to install it? First thing I would want to do is convert all uncompressed to 565 'conservative' lossy uncompressed format, if it was created same way as Terrain Bump (i.e., standard uncompressed format).

I thought normals were done with lossless compression, something like 8888. I'm sure he would too. I'm sure he'll just give us blanket permission for the mod to do as we please since he knows we're not going to take it in some weird direction. Kryptopyr wants to do the same thing in case she steps away. SP really left though, he doesn't even own a computer right now. That's what you call cold turkey, not sure my will is that strong.

I think there are three or four SP mods for distant detail, distant terrain, more distant terrain, and terrain bump.

I'll do city bump tomorrow.