Question about "dummy" esps in relation to STEP

James_Richards

Question

It's been a looooong time since I've played Skyrim and the mod folders have been trashed, so I am starting from scratch with STEP Core/Extended.  Since I don't have a whole lot of time with being newly married and full time job, I cannot spend a lot of time on resolving issues on my own research.

Well, I could... but sometimes I do get impatient.  I don't need an answer on this right away, but if someone could help, that would be awesome.

I am following STEP Core and Extended 2.2.9 to the letter.  In the Core install, Brawl Bugs Patch is being used.  During Mod Organizer's install of the mod, I have it set to un-archive the BSAs.  There is nothing but scripts and Mod Organizer says it's a dummy anyway.  So...I can free up a slot just by either removing the esp or putting it into the optionals folder, correct?  There should be no issue since this BSA only had script files and the esp is a "dummy".  I'll be opening it soon in TES5Edit, I just thought I'd ask.

After playing for about 30 minutes on STEP Core, there doesn't seem to be any ill effects.

Also, same thing happening with Better Weapon Swing Sounds.  I am still in the middle of setting up Extended, so I can switch gears at any time.

Thanks for your time!

6 answers to this question

Thanks to both of you.

@TechAngel85, yeah...I know.  

My thinking is this: Extracted or not, the mod's assets will be replacing the vanilla assets.  Having "loose" versions of mods vs bsa versions of mods ensure the mod content overwrites the vanilla content.  I am also doing that for myself as a base for modding the future.  My plan is to install STEP Core/Extended, RGES, Weather and Lighting and Survival.  Along the way each Pack will be tested to ensure it loads alone, then slowly integrate them till they are active and I can ensure they are stable.  Then it'll be down to resolving any lasting conflicts, Look for mergable plug-ins then start adding any mods I would like to play with.  I remember I had a mod setup using SkyRe and Character Creation Overhaul...  I would like to try that again.

@hishtup
Yup.  I am watching for that.  Especially with STEP and REGS.  Every step is being followed to the letter.  For packs that don't have good descriptions and instructions will require some deeper research and paying attention to what they do.

On another note, since I have followed the DDSOpt guide and optimized the HighRes DLC 1-3 textures, did that guide and batch files optimize ALL textures in the DLC BSAs?  

If so, I can remove the bsa and esp files from the data folder, further increasing the esp/esm slots I can use.

Edited by James_Richards