1st PC Build (Budget)

Vexzarium

So a quick update:

I realized about a day ago that my Hyper 212 EVO was not installed properly for two reasons:

1)I failed to install the mounting nuts to the mobo in a tight fashion - Fixed

2)Upon initial installation, I struggled to get the bracket lined up with the mounting nuts and pulled it off AFTER MAKING FULL CONTACT WITH THE CPU & THE APPLIED THERMAL PASTE! -Fixed

Under heavy load like 7zip, IntelBurnTest, or 95, I'd see temps like 82c on core 1 and 80c on 2-4.

After fixing it, my temps have come way down as shown by this simple 7zip operation:

Before OC:

WTtSysy.pngGG54qi1.png

After OC:

lDrUpte.pngwlPeRLX.png

The second image in each set is just to show a simple performance difference. The speed of the compression was greatly improved when overclocked.

So, yes, the overclock still brings more heat... known fact. But none the less, going from 82c to the low 60's is a decent improvement. Likely do to incorrect thermal paste application and/or the heat pipes not making firm contact to the CPU.

Thoughts? Is 62c under 100% load too high? Should I purchase and install something like a X61 Kraken or H110i GT liquid CPU cooler? Mobo stays at a max of 29c unless GPU is under load, and at that point I think it's max is around 40c. And that's a hog 290x Lightning that is overclocked. For a base z97, this ASRock z97 Anniversary ATX has really impressed me.

Yes my name is there... no, I don't care. ;)

Edited by Vexzarium

The i5 4690k has a max turbo frequency of 3.9MHz. Getting 4.4MHz would be a win. You are then running at the i7 4790k max turbot frequency, which in my book is good. That is almost 13% over max turbo frequency. Does it make a difference in Skyrim? Probably not. Overclocking the GPU would be a bigger improvement.

It's about 5 fps in Skyrim w/ Vsync off w/ the CPU & GPU OC. But the overall stability is where the overclock really shines. A smooth as butter STEP:Core w/ ENB & uGrids7. Now in The Elder Scrolls Online, it's about 15fps. ESO hits hard on one core, so the CPU OC really shines in games that hit 1-2 threads really hard.

Just ordered new case fans. Took the stock 200mm out of the front and put 2 140mm's in it's place. Purchased 2 120mm's for the bottom intake. Took out the crap Thermaltake's I had and purchased 3 140mm's for the top exhaust. All Phanteks' fans.

Edited by Vexzarium

Uthgerd was the first NPC I married in TES:V... so my hands were tied. ;)

What you and your Skyrim Spouse do in the privacy of Breezehome is your own business. :D *bow-chicka-bow-wow. :D*

Edited by Nozzer66
  • +1 1