1st PC Build (Budget)

Vexzarium

It will be interesting to see if the bug with 4gb gt 970 really exists while playing skywind with all the mods

You know, the whole thing that happened with this GPU kinda scares me a bit too. I actually avoided it until now and kept looking at the GTX960(GTX 980 is WAY outta my range) or the R9 290x.

On a side note, to those that have been assisting me along, I'm willing to purchase things from multiple retailers using PCPartPicker... I've begun to notice that Amazon can either have a great deal or absolutely rip you off. And right now, every dollar matters, Amazon can be the difference between getting a solid build for my budget or having to settle for much less because I refused to use other merchants.

Edited by Vexzarium

I've heard the reference version is plagued by the 3.5GB cap. Have not heard about the other versions of it like the MSi Twin Frozr that I've selected. If so than I really need to look elsewhere for my GPU option. But if I can keep the other components down in cost like my latest AMD Build and still have an effective set-up, my GPU Budget is around $350.

Edited by Vexzarium

The difference between AMD and Intel has been fairly noticeable for a good while now. Intel has taken over the market due to reliability, wattage-to-performance ratio, and several over factors and innovations. AMD remains less expensive; however, they've not had any innovation in a long time and seem to stay behind the competition in nearly every aspect. They're okay for everyday computing; however, for gaming Intel/Nvidia currently owns the market.

Thanks to you all, I have narrowed it down to two builds. And here we go, the old fire is still burning. A cliché rivalry is what I must choose between ASAP so I can place the order(s).

You'll find the builds in the OP (Page 1, Post 1).

Please have a look and let me know your thoughts. There may be components left out or shortchanged a bit, but I did the best that I could with what I have for a budget, and what I've learned here, and from this entire hunt of mine. I took what I could from what I learned in this thread and applied it(i.e. I only used PSU's from the site I was directed to by phazer11) but had to leave out what was not possible for my budget.

I'll add more fans, CPU cooling methods, RAM, and many other things as upgrades in the future. These builds are just a starting point.

Edited by Vexzarium

Well I'm going to say despite the fact I despise ATi cards as they use more energy, release more heat, etc. The 290 I linked to you is only ~$10 more than that GTX 960 you linked plus it has higher memory bandwidth and more VRAM, which you will really be rateful for the extra VRAM in Skyrim and just about everything else.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phazer11/saved/jQwH99 (Least Compromise)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phazer11/saved/RV4MnQ (More Compromise) Best Option IMO

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phazer11/saved/JXM2FT (Most Compromise)

https://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

We must be getting different prices somehow, the R9 290 you link is $70 more than the GTX 960. I'd have to take the "Most Compromise" and compromise some more somewhere. In order for me to run the i5 4690k, my GPU budget can be no more that $210, which the R9 290 is much higher than. So I'd have to take the 4690k and go with a cheaper i5 or swap it out for a FX-8320... which kind of leads me to thinking at that point, the AMD build in the OP might be the only way to go if I want pure performance for my budget.

I might be able to save $20 on the Nvida based builds by going with this case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024

It includes an: EarthWatts EA 500D Green power supply (80 PLUS® Bronze certified)

that PSU is highlighted on the suggested PSU site you've led me to. But naturally, I've avoided cases w/ integrated PSU's. Even if this one is an acceptable PSU, there appears to be issues with fitting larger GPU's in the case. But it could be used in all of the Nvidia based builds. For the AMD CPU builds, I could switch the CPU to the FX-8320E model for less TDP.

But, over a Gold 500w PSU and a cheap case, the integrated case is not much of a savings and makes me nervous.

Edited by Vexzarium

Grats. Not sure how you're going to get the second pc though, unless she doesn't want one or something.

PCPartPicker

That 970 is factory overclocked. The tower is a full tower allowing you more room. The PSU is fully modular so you can leave the cables you don't need unplugged, it'll also give you some room in case you decide to SLi in the future. You really really don't need 2133 RAM that's just silly no use other than to say you have it lol, 1600 MHz is the sweet spot. The only other thing I can think of is to get 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB. Also noticed I forgot the cooler.

Have fun.

Thanks! We have two options, either build one solid PC and play games like TES:V together(turn taking) or build two rubbish PC's for a $500-$600 budget per PC. We both agree, she doesn't play enough, hardly ever, to waste our money on two crap PC's when the money could have build one solid one.

The MSi GTX 970 is factory OC'd as well. I don't remember ever adding any 2133mhz RAM, lol. The Intel build is using 1600mhz and the AMD build is using 1866mhz.

I just revised both builds a bit to cut some costs, I'll take a look at your link there and see what I can use. ;)

Edit: You meant the RAM in the wee-little console? Yeah, I selected DDR3/2133mhz because it's using an APU for graphics and it actually does increase FPS dramtically due to the GPU cores using system ram for VRAM. I pieced that together for a friend, but she decided to buy my current system instead. Figured I'd leave it up there as "Just another PC wanting to be a console" build.

Edited by Vexzarium