1st PC Build (Budget)

Vexzarium

Most definitely a bad idea. The power supply alone should be at least the much (or close to it) since it's not that means the psu is probably a junk psu which is one of the reasons I hate prebuilt machines since they hardly ever tell you what parts your getting for each piece, other than the cpu gpu, and a few others (sometimes).

I'm attempting to work with what you've given me, as I prefer Intel over AMD. Actually hunting for a LGA 1150 MOBO as we speak (read: type). Then onto a Gold PSU.

Is there a difference between GDDR5 & DDR5? The GPU you suggest is DDR5. But it looks like I'm thinking too much into these little details.

Edited by Vexzarium

they both refer to the same thing.Dont get it confused with ddr4 for motherboards which is another thing.

Also i dont think that usb 3.0 is not on the case but are supported by the motherboard.I couldnt find the refference in the case you showed but it probably will be just a front case to plug in your usb 3.0 ,otherwise you can plug them on the back panel .Correct me anyone if I am wrong

Edited by cult77

Ever hear of buying what you can afford now and upgrade later? You can cut $30 from your parts simply by going with a less expensive case. Another $30 by going with a HDD over an SSD for the time being and upgrading or adding the SSD later. I would suggest making some sacrifices with the plan to upgrade some components later. Or wait one or two months and save up $100-$200 more to be able to get better components. Here is a list I put together that makes some of those sacrifices:

https://pcpartpicker.com/p/JvQPGX

I'll start with the HDD for now and add an SSD in a few weeks. The HDD should get me going and be there for simple storage when I add the SSD.

After much debate, I haven't been able to work out adding Intel into this build for pure cost reasons. I'd have to add a better CPU fan and the MOBO's seemed to be much more on the costly side. And coming from an i3 to another i3 seemed like torture to me(even though the i3 I have now hyperthreads and is pretty smooth).

I also debated the GTX 960 vs R9 270x 4GB edition... and it would be a tear in my heart to choose the Radeon over my beloved Nvidia... but I might for the VRAM and similar pricing.

I'm going to sleep on this one. But the good news is I involuntarily raised my Budget from $800 USD to $900 USD.

Edited by Vexzarium

What PSU wattage would be sufficient, under load, for an i5-4690k and a GTX 960?

I've had a second guessing, I do not want an AMD CPU. ;)

So to save some cost, I'm going to use this $25 case: Rosewill

And add a bronze certified PSU. But I'm not certain of the wattage I'd need. Seems that the i5-4690k has a lower TDP(Before OC) than the AMD counterparts, and the GTX 960 seems to be very power efficient as well.

I'm also uncertain of whether or not the PSU will fit in here properly and if the GPU will fit under that expansion cage.

Also nervous to try and fit: CPU-Fan in here.

Edit: This never panned out ;)

Edited by Vexzarium

If you're not overclocking, then you can drop the 3rd party cooler (if you do, make sure the cooler fits the socket type of the CPU/Motherboard). Since you're going with Intel, I'd recommend the ASUS motherboard I posted. I comes with ASUS's fan control software which is amazing (it keeps my system silence while not gaming and ramps the RPMs up when it's needed). When you do get to overclocking the CPU, their software will also do that for you. It'll test the system and choose the most stable overclock. As for the PSU, you're really only going to need a 500-550W.

If you're not overclocking, then you can drop the 3rd party cooler (if you do, make sure the cooler fits the socket type of the CPU/Motherboard). Since you're going with Intel, I'd recommend the ASUS motherboard I posted. I comes with ASUS's fan control software which is amazing (it keeps my system silence while not gaming and ramps the RPMs up when it's needed). When you do get to overclocking the CPU, their software will also do that for you. It'll test the system and choose the most stable overclock. As for the PSU, you're really only going to need a 500-550W.

Thanks for the info. I intend to OC, and have heard great things about Asus MOBO's. Actually trying to piece this together as we speak with a Z97 Asus Mobo. The CPU fan I've chosen is well reviewed and is perfect for the LGA 1150 socket, but I've concerns about if fitting in a Micro ATX case. Also have concerns about using a Micro ATX Mobo to begin with.

This CPU(i5-4690K) & GPU (GTX 960) seem to both be very power efficient. So I think I'll shoot for a 550W and hope it works well. What scares me is the wattage used by the GPU at peak when it's under heavy load. Nvidia suggests a minimum of a 400W PSU, but this is not the Reference model of the GTX 960. So it is likely to peak at a bit higher.

In case you guys can't tell, I'm meticulous and don't want to click that order button until I'm certain I've gotten it right.

Your latest build puts you over 1k. I'll recommend this as it keeps you slightly under $1k and you should be able to have amazon price match the price (with the promo code) for the PSU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phazer11/saved/7qrPxr

It also give you an Intel CPU. The GPU is mostly the same one is unlocked the other isn't (but the unlocked is another $110). Swap in a BD reader if you wish. The PSU is lower wattage but it's semi-modular which will make things easier to assemble and the case is also larger aiding in the same.