ENB Guide

z929669

ENBlocal INI Guide has been updated to latest release: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI

I've also removed the notice from the top of the main guide saying which version it was "up-to-date" for since there is no longer any information in the main guide that would be dependent on this. All this information was moved into the sub-INI Guides.

11.1 Performance Tips

EWI removed all his mods a while back but they are slowly coming back, including the new file location for his Performance ENB :
Relinked with new mod page. Now called :

( Confusingly, his old Minimal Performance ENB - Is now renamed to the above ( I think ), and he has another new Minimal ENB but no longer called Performance edition, now at https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59726/? = Minimal ENB Final Edition )

Guys I dont think these are going to be coming back, unless EWI ups them someplace else .. He got banned again today and I think its permanent this time.

Edit : After the wiki re-overhaul one of them is mentioned here https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#Performance_Tips

No idea what to suggest as a replacement, maybe one of Phinix Performance options in PNENB ? ( I know he used to have 3-4 performance options, I studied it once to see what else I could do to try and get any performance out of my oooold laptop :), gave up with ENB on this machine after that - But the guide says PNENB does not have any https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#Phinix_Natural_ENB so maybe those old options have been dropped since )

Edit 2 : And if you have more of EWI stuff knocking around in various guides, I reckon those will all not be coming back on nexus either

Edited by alt3rn1ty

Already added to the ENBoost/ENBlocal Guide.

I've read through all of the 0.266 thread up to present, and it's clear that this binary is still in a state of flux, still experimental.

I'm wondering if you or anyone else has noticed if the framerate limiter bug in 0.265 is gone. I don't normally use that myself, but know it's been mentioned quite a bit in other threads here.

Some really interesting info has come out from this latest release thread - for example, I need to query Boris for more explanation on this:

"Btw, found that game fail to free memory if loading saved games which contain data about removed mods (with message about that). I recommend to not use that kind of saves."

Want to know which kind of memory he's referring to.

I've read through all of the 0.266 thread up to present, and it's clear that this binary is still in a state of flux, still experimental.

I'm wondering if you or anyone else has noticed if the framerate limiter bug in 0.265 is gone. I don't normally use that myself, but know it's been mentioned quite a bit in other threads here.

Some really interesting info has come out from this latest release thread - for example, I need to query Boris for more explanation on this:

Want to know which kind of memory he's referring to.

From what I know about Beth games it's from one of games stacks. I think there is three. He's probably talking about the one ENBoost uses. If he's talking about the one that sheson's patch fixed then load up that memory block log mod and see if the first number stays low. It usually starts around 50 and goes up pretty quick. The third stack is done right before the game loads. It's the one windows uses.

Darn - it's a shame that iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 is needed in order to enable the EnableZPrepass feature of 0.266 without issue.  If I set iBlurDeferredShadowMask to anything above 1 then I notice a very obvious "glow" effect around the edge of a lot of objects in the game.  Otherwise, I'd like to try this new setting to see the FPS improvement...

Darn - it's a shame that iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 is needed in order to enable the EnableZPrepass feature of 0.266 without issue.  If I set iBlurDeferredShadowMask to anything above 1 then I notice a very obvious "glow" effect around the edge of a lot of objects in the game.  Otherwise, I'd like to try this new setting to see the FPS improvement...

I use it with iBlurDeferredShadowMask=1 for the same reason and the EnableZprepass feature works as intended.

Indeed, even when Boris himself posted his default parameters as the guide describes, at the release of the EnableZprepass feature he only stated

It may fail if skyrimprefs.ini is not configured properly (do not touch shadow mask or zprepass there!)

Only referring to:

bShadowMaskZPrepass=0

bMainZPrepass=0

Tech, are sure about iBlurDeferredShadowMask and bDeferredShadows? I don't think that has anything to do with zprepass. Did a search on the 0.266 release thread, and Boris merely mentions not touching "shadow mask or zprepass" in the INIs. From the succinctness of his verbiage, I would be inclined to think he only meant bShadowMaskZPrepass and bMainZPrepass. iBlurDeferredShadowMask regulates blur on shadows. bDeferredShadows does God-knows-what.

Yikes... I just tried enabling the new FixLag ENB setting and it is NOT an improvement for me.  It causes lag - very bad lag.  Just KILLS the FPS.  It also takes FOREVER to go through the load screen if it doesn't downright close the program after a long time.

I have a Nvidia graphics card too - isn't this supposed to be an improvement for that type of card?  I even have ForceBorderless (and ForceBorderlessFullscreen) enabled, so it's in windowed mode.

Anyone else getting a severe downside to using this feature?

Edited by oqhansoloqo