Volume of DSAMG in headphones is very high. [Closed]

DanielCoffey

Question

I have the DSAMG Dragon Soul Absorb More Glorious (Female) installed and play on headphones. When the With Words part plays, there is an almighty amount of distortion and crackle on my headphones and the volume is fearsomely loud. It does it too when the Greybeards teach you new shouts and offer you their Dragon knowledge. Once the absorb sound sequence tails off, the volume returns to normal.

Now, when I go to the mod's directory under MO and play the .wav files in Windows Media Player, I get the same volume-based distortion problem on my headphones. If I lower the volume slider to about 50% the .wav plays perfectly.

The key offender is sound\fx\female\dragon\deathsequence\npc_dragon_deathsequence_explosion.wav and I was wondering if I should use something like Reaper to drop the volume a bit?

The headphones are Grado SR60 and all other sound effects in both Skyrim and other Windows games are the correct volume. It is just the dragon soul absorbs which are obviously too loud for the headphones to handle.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Edited by DanielCoffey

4 answers to this question

It will be E3 Demo Version Female Victory Cry - With Words.

When I play the .wav files in Media Player at the default volume I get the crackle and distortion from the headphones. If I play it on the small monitor speakers it is perfect. If I drop the volume by 50% it is fine on the headphones too.

I guess I will do a personalised volume reduction on all the wavs in the mod.

It is my headphones that are at fault, not the DSAMG audio.

I found a headphone test site that had standardised samples to play and I discovered that the right ear driver was bad. I can play the DSAMG files in left channel mono at full volume perfectly but when I try to play the right channel only the audio breaks up badly. While I can drop the volume of the track in Reaper by about 5dB, it is a better idea to replace either the right driver or the entire headphones.

They were £80 new but are well out of warranty. It is (just) cost effective to have the driver replaced but I think I'll just go for a new set.