FO: NV Crashing on Startup w/ MO managing archives

Questdog

Question

8 answers to this question

How many BSAs are in your load order? This isn't a MO issue, but the number of BSAs that are active in any Fallout game does make a difference.

This is the main reason why the two Fallout guides recommend extracting the BSAs and having loose files instead.

In my Fallout games I was experiencing CTDs or 'non-starts' until I extracted all but one extra BSA, ie. all the vanilla BSA plus one from a mod.

How many BSAs are in your load order? This isn't a MO issue, but the number of BSAs that are active in any Fallout game does make a difference.

This is the main reason why the two Fallout guides recommend extracting the BSAs and having loose files instead.

In my Fallout games I was experiencing CTDs or 'non-starts' until I extracted all but one extra BSA, ie. all the vanilla BSA plus one from a mod.

Quite a few (Seems most mods want to have BSA's nowadays).

I installed a fresh version of MO with no mods and the game loaded fine whether or not MO was managing archives.

So, I will reload the mods that use BSA's and extract them.

Thanks!

P.S.  However, the game DID load fine and run with all these BSA's as long as I did not check the box for MO to manage them.

Edited by Questdog

I think it's about time to start a bug report for this issue. I don't really think it's a bug, but it's annoying enough that we should tell Tannin about it.

I've been helping some youtubers and telling them about this issue, so more people will know about it, since Skyrim doesn't have the problem. 

In FO3 when using MO you can only leave the vanilla BSAs, the unofficial patch BSA, and one mod BSA unextracted. 

Well, I just finished a run through Fallout 3 with 1 BSA active above the limit you mentioned.  I had all the official ones, the Unofficial Patch, Streetlights.bsa and Zumbs' Overhauled Real Time Security.bsa.

And that was with MO managing the archives.

Edited by Questdog

@Questdog

That doesn't surprise me. The actual details on what/how/where the engine fails isn't widely known, only that it does seem to centre around the number of BSAs. There needs to be a LOT of very scientific investigation into this matter. The more data gathered and collated on this the better.

I would, if I were a betting man, put good money on the fact that all of the STEP users that play these games will have different experiences as to which BSAs need to extracted and which don't.