Skyrim Installation Guide

I finalized the bat and can confirm that it is correct and verified. I provided Eiwyn my findings' date=' and he was able to confirm several corrections that I proposed as well as refute a few. Result is that the wiki bat and SIG-DLC methodology for cleaning up the HRCLCs is the best available at the moment (although it looks like Eiwyn updated his bat today as well ;) ).

If possible, he tells me that he will try to provide a single point-and-click solution for the HRDLC mess (by teaming up with Hionimi ...)

Can you post what was different to the original cmd file as when I ran it night before last Eiwyn hadn't yet posted his file (although it was mentioned on the nexus page he hadn't uploaded it yet so wasnt downloadable). I would prefer to fix it manually if possible so I dont have to go through optimizing the textures all over again. Thanks

Thanks for that z92, much appreciated. I can confirm that your bat script works flawlessly.

Frihyland, I would like to suggest a minor change to your wonderful SIG. Its great that you have a warning that users will need to wait for these tools to be update when new patches are released. Currently you recommend SkyBoost, however since its the only unsupported injector atm, it may be wise to put a note that SkyBoost is currently not compatible with the latest patch, therefore idiot proofing the SkyBoost section. Ultimately not really necessary though if one reads the section properly.

Done

I finalized the bat and can confirm that it is correct and verified. I provided Eiwyn my findings' date=' and he was able to confirm several corrections that I proposed as well as refute a few. Result is that the wiki bat and SIG-DLC methodology for cleaning up the HRCLCs is the best available at the moment (although it looks like Eiwyn updated his bat today as well ;) ). If possible, he tells me that he will try to provide a single point-and-click solution for the HRDLC mess (by teaming up with Hionimi ...)

Can you post what was different to the original cmd file as when I ran it night before last Eiwyn hadn't yet posted his file (although it was mentioned on the nexus page he hadn't uploaded it yet so wasnt downloadable). I would prefer to fix it manually if possible so I dont have to go through optimizing the textures all over again. Thanks

Simply go to that wiki page and look at the history tab. You can do a direct compare to before/after and it will highlight the difference. ;)

I think you should change the "If you want the SVN version (recommended)" into "Then get the SVN version", as it's the only version anyone should ever use. Using 295.5 will just cause you unnecessary problems.

If Z aggrees than I will, I had it that way initially and changed it to be more compatible with his guide. 295.5 is a lot more stable but you lose out on a lot of compatibility, some users may prefer the stability.

You certainly can, but we ought to revise the installation method in the WBG or at least add Python version-SVN as optional and the current 295.5 standalone as standard. I will not be able to get to that for a day or two.

However, 295.5 is perfectly fine for installation/maint. And installation and setup maintenance are infinitely more complex and difficult to manage in STEP right now than mod/load management. Especially given that lots of changes and testing are likely to be the norm right now. This gets to what Beald has been speaking about regarding version stability and keeping novice modders from updating and changing everything on an almost daily basis.

...so, if we revise the installation method, then much more needs to be added about mod management under the SVN as well (not to mention that I need to update all of the graphics to STEP 2.1). This will take a bit longer, and I would propose that we deliberate as to the best way to articulate these guides via incremental changes, or many will be confused :wacko:

EDIT: I do see that you have a fairly good start in the SIG on installing the SVN (does this install over the standard WB installation??). I think you need to install the Python version, no? Perhaps I will sync with what you have after all. let me see what I can get done in the next couple of days ....

Well, one of the selling points with WB is load ordering and merging leveled lists. SVN version is needed for the first, and does the second much, much better than 295.5. If the guide only covers actual installation via WB then yeah, 295.5 works just aswell for that part. :) And SVN isn't really hard to install, as you simply install 295.5 normally and then take the Mopy folder from SVN version and overwrite all old files inside the Mopy folder with those files.

For a lot of users, I think the standalone version is much more installer friendly, easier to maintain, and should be the recommended solution. However, we're currently in a situation with respect to lack of updates that having the SVN is more beneficial which requires the python version. Ideally, SVN use would be left to the adventurous and developers/testers.

Yeah I rather suspected those answers its a tough call, I suppose we can support both options and fully explain the caveats of each. As it stands I require the use of BUM/BOSS over using bash for any plugin management regardless of bash version.

As a new user to WB, python etc (although generally capable on PCs) I found the svn version fine following the instructions in a forum post about a month ago (likely WB thread) and the WB wiki guide.Is it really that much different? I haven't tried standalone but iirc I just downloaded and installed the python version off of the same nexus page rather than standalone (which then installed python), pasted in mopy directory from the SVN and did a couple of other tweaks (eg changing directories in the bash.ini file).

Especially given current standalone version is pre-load order changes etc.

I presume when next release build is posted, I can update by downloading python version and pasting in Mopy directory.

If I updated to normal standalone would I need to do anything to get current install (uninstalled & installed mods, bashed patch, ini tweaks and load order) for it to pick up from current SVN version setup?

Also, using WB makes applying ini tweaks much easier as can name them appropriately and then easily turn off if needed or reapply if need to refresh ini files. Should the ini tweak process be added to the guide? TC or the team could then package the ini tweak files as part of STEP

The standalone version is not compatible with the SVN (or even the game definition update on the nexus), put another way only the python version can be updated. The python version is only more complex in the sense that it requires 3 supplemental installations, but that is handled by the meta installer so its not really an issue imo.

I vote that we recommend only one version and that it ultimately be the SVN; however, I also vote to hold off generating questions about this until we can do it in an orderly manner and syncing up all the doc.

Further, I vote that mention of the SVN version in the SIG should be veiled until we can properly articulate with the WB guide. Right now there is disparity between the two, and it makes sense that WB installation instructions be in the WBG rather than the SIG.

Most importantly, the Bashed Patch and mods-tab functionality is NOT REQUIRED for STEP, so it seems really unnecessary that we would be hell bent on rushing this out hastily.

I think the priority should be to assist the less experienced with simply getting STEP installed and simpler to troubleshoot. That means BAIN functionality, BOSS, BUM and nothing more. The more advanced modders can struggle a bit and figure out the SVN in the meantime themselves.

Just my opinions :D

I will be offline until tomorrow evening, then I need to wrap up my DDSopt findings on those damn trees, so I can continue with my installation of STEP 2.1 ... THEN I can edit the WBG as I do this. After this, I will work on WB installation instructions in a deliberative manner and in detail with consideration to the SIG.