Backups don't work

ALemonNamedDuck

Question

Hi,

Although MO is a superfast and better version of NMM, i found out I have a problem with backups..

Just before dinnertime, I found out all of my mods were working, so the logical thing to do is to make a backup (of both mod list and boot order).

Fine, return to it later.

But when I returned home, I ran Skyrim which wasn't working how i left off. And when I tried to restore the backup, it only showed a later backup (yes, I was, in hindsight stupid enough to trust all the backups were there. Silly me)

What am I doing wrong?

And not to forget; I checked the install dir in my profiles to check if the right date-time was there. Nope!

5 answers to this question

hmm... I too have never used that function and in the interest of checking decided to make a backup of both my right & left hand panes.

The console logs:

Backup of load order created
Backup of modlist created

but I can not find any files on my system created with that timestamp, except the ModOrganizer.ini. Nothing else in my MO folder or in My Documents.

However clicking the 'Restore' button for either panel lists the backups I just created. 

They are stored in the active profile that the button was pressed in and look like loadorder.txt.2015_01_16_11_49_57, lockedorder.txt.2015_01_16_11_49_57, modlist.txt.2015_01_16_11_49_59 and plugins.txt.2015_01_16_11_49_57.

What black magic are you wielding here?  :wallbash:

Time to re-evaluate my utilities. If they can't find those files, what flaming use are they!! For that matter, why didn't I just look for those? Time to re-evaluate my credentials too I think.

Question though? What benefit is it to store backups of those files in the same folder as the originals? Especially since they are just copies fo those files.