Fallout 3 DLC Retextured (by QuasarX aka MagnesiumFire)

Adonis_VII

• 2 weeks later...

You realize that the ModGames site are a bunch of theives with stolen mods, assets and illegally ported content right?

They even stole TTW and illegally distribute Fallout 3 assets. I would require proof that anyone from there created the content they claim is theirs.

As for my scripts, they are just command line stuff anyone could do. I just took the time to do it. You can use them for whatever purposes you like and even host them here. Just give me some credit is all I ask. BTW they are for TTW only and not to be used with Fallout 3.

Edited by RoyBatty
  • +1 1

I realize that the site does host content without permission for some original authors, but there are also new mods only on that site. As far as proof, some of these mods cover textures untouched by any mod I've seen on either nexus and at significantly higher quality than vanilla. Depending on which of Quasars are used, that about 700 new textures.  But now the guide doesn't even need to link to the site as we can point to the direct download link which is on another site.

Edited by Adonis_VII
  • +1 1

You realize that the ModGames site are a bunch of theives with stolen mods, assets and illegally ported content right?

They even stole TTW and illegally distribute Fallout 3 assets. I would require proof that anyone from there created the content they claim is theirs.

Ah now I definitely wont be using them when I start up next playthrough.

I looked at some of his stuff, the robots are just resized in photoshop with some noise applied and also a few cut/paste sections of textures from various sources. The nif's have edited paths, and the Interiors stuff is definitely used without Chuck's permission. Not sure on the NMC stuff really, just look like modified normal's to me which you can do yourself in photoshop in a few minutes. I'm not criticizing the quality of whatever it is he's doing, but he is using some peoples assets without their permission, and that is not cool. The vanilla stuff can be modified without a problem, it's the custom assets that should not be used or modified without the permission of the author.

Stuff like this REALLY makes Chuck mad, and it would be a shame if he stopped modding because of people doing things like this. He's already been mad enough at that place about TTW, as have the rest of us.

• +1 1

As far as the texture components go, as long as there are not actual NMC files in Quasars pack (I do believe NMC's pack is somewhere on the site, which I agree with you on being an issue, but not the one at hand) I don't see the issue.  There is nothing wrong with derivative works, hell just look at at Bethesda's own textures for examples (ruinlinen01.dds,ruinlinen02.dds):

8miRLaS.jpgeU8dF3o.jpgNiNfzMK.jpgxJao3pn.jpg

As far as the modified nif's, they function as a patch.  They still require the base mod the function. How is this functionally any different from making an .esp patch?  I can't argue for the site as a whole, but the guide doesn't even link to the site anymore, instead linking directly to the files on another server/service to which he links his mod pages on multiple sites.

It's OK to do WITH permission. But there is no permission asked, just do whatever they want because they feel like it with complete disregard of the authors wishes. That's just disrespectful at the least...

Your reasoning is flawed in this regard. This isn't a throwing the baby out with the bath water type of thing, it's very specific. That site is blacklisted by the Nexus, TTW, and even other sites with questionable materials. They don't care what they use or who or where from. It also doesn't matter who hosts the files either, that's got nothing to do with it at all.

Anyways I didn't come over here to start a war about it. I wanted people to be informed is all.

• +1 2

I don't think you're starting a war. In my line of work, everything is very iterative.  Once you put your code or research out there, it's expected that people will then take it and improve upon it.  Doing otherwise is highly looked down upon.  The only expectation is citing who did the previous work.  As this is exactly what this person did I have no issue with it, but I am realizing how parts of mod community have completely opposite social norms.

• +1 1