Trouble with FNIS Behavior

Lameth35

Question

Ok, first I have followed STEP guide and videos to the best of my ability and have watched/followed videos from both Gamer Poets and Gopher.

My problem is that when I run FNIS thru MO and update behavior, at the top of the FNIS I get a warning saying:

Warning: Bad installation.  Generator not run from a Skyrim Directory.

Now, after I got this warning I watched the video again- MO/FNIS(#10)  and I noticed that he had this error when he ran FNIS.  He made no remark about it, his animations worked, so I thought it might not be a big deal.  My game runs, My Brand New Character has full motion;  Still though I have a warning which makes me nervous that it could cause problems later on, so I watched Gamer Poet's video.  I deleted FNIS from my mods and downloads and followed his video.  One difference though was that Gamer Poet did NOT get the warning, but of course with my luck(^^) I did get that warning. I should mention that my game was originally in the program files x86 folder, so tried moving it to its present location(see below) with no change in status. I repeated the process again with no success or as I just mentioned no change of status.  The game seems to run just fine but....?

So here I am.  My game is at D>>Games>>steam>>Steam apps>>common>>skyrim.

FNIS is at D>>games>>steam>>steam apps>>common>>Mod Organizer>>Mods>>FNIS Behavior 5.2>>tools>>

Generate FNIS for Users

I have the latest updates for the game, SKSE, etc..

Is this warning something that could cause problems later on, if so how do I fix it; or should I ignore it?

11 answers to this question

Actually I was probably a little too off-handed with that comment, it was late for me when I posted.

I think your question is actually a very valid one. Why does GamerPoet not have that message?

I'm on the trail now. Got nothing better to do this afternoon.

EDIT:

After doing some investigations I have come up with... nothing!

My installation mirrors that of both Gopher and Gamerpoet yet only one of us has no warning message.

In desperation I left a nice question for Fore on the FNIS mod page.

Edited by GrantSP

It would appear that Fore doesn't wish to add anything further to the discussion apart from:

"did you read the stickied comment?"

Despite my pressing him further he hasn't repsponded despite answering a few comments all around mine/ours.

Ah well, not really that important. Still, I would like to know what FNIS is reading to get that status.

It would seem my questioning fore further must have piqued his interest. He's just asked me to provide some details on the registry settings found in my Win7 64bit machine. Perhaps some quirks in those are responsible for this message not finding the correct key.

From memory Gopher, who also has this warning message, is on Win7 64 bit and I'm sure Michael from GamerPoets is on Win8 so perhaps that's where the answer lies.

You are not going to believe how easily this was fixed.

Wait for it... use version 5.2!

Now I'm pretty sure I installed v5.2 over the top of v5.1 in MO. Maybe there was something left behind in 5.1, which has an error that misses the trailing backslash in the registry search, and when I installed v5.2 it was still there.

Anyway, I removed v5.1 and installed a fresh v5.2 and no warnings.

It's always the simple things that get overlooked. Kudos to @fore for sticking with it as he could have just told me to not bother.

Edited by GrantSP

It would appear that Fore doesn't wish to add anything further to the discussion apart from:

"did you read the stickied comment?"

Despite my pressing him further he hasn't repsponded despite answering a few comments all around mine/ours.

Ah well, not really that important. Still, I would like to know what FNIS is reading to get that status.

I had certainly said something if you had added the necessary information. ::):

Here we are talking about an FNIS path "D>>games>>steam>>steam apps>>common>>Mod Organizer>>Mods>>FNIS Behavior 5.2>>tools>>". Right?

If you look into gophers video, you will not see a path containing "Mod Organizer>>Mods>>FNIS Behavior 5.2". So: BAD INSTALLATION!

The warning you can see in gopher's vids is the "non-legal" message. That's what I refer to in the sticky note. This happens when users always start through SKSE. That's when I'm referring to the sticky post. Because I think I have answered that questions dozens of times before.

Hello @fore

Apologies if the content of this thread seem a bit like an attack. As my later posts here, and also those in Nexus show, I have a great deal of respect for your assistance. It was a mistake of mine in not installing 5.2 over 5.1 correctly and in saying what I did in the post you have quoted. For that I can only offer an unreserved apology.

While not trying to justify my actions, the stickied post or the FAQ you have doesn't say that this warning is only in 5.1 and 5.2 resolves it.

Going on the information you provided me in the Nexus thread I would conclude it, the warning, is actually an error and not the users fault, whereas the FAQ and sticky post imply a fault with installation due to uncommon Skyrim installs, usually from pirated copies.

Since the registry setting I provided you results in no warning with 5.2, I must conclude 5.1 was in error.

At any rate, due to your diligence and patience, this can now be considered a non-issue and can justly be put to rest.

Thanks again.

Hello @fore

Apologies if the content of this thread seem a bit like an attack. As my later posts here, and also those in Nexus show, I have a great deal of respect for your assistance. It was a mistake of mine in not installing 5.2 over 5.1 correctly and in saying what I did in the post you have quoted. For that I can only offer an unreserved apology.

While not trying to justify my actions, the stickied post or the FAQ you have doesn't say that this warning is only in 5.1 and 5.2 resolves it.

Going on the information you provided me in the Nexus thread I would conclude it, the warning, is actually an error and not the users fault, whereas the FAQ and sticky post imply a fault with installation due to uncommon Skyrim installs, usually from pirated copies.

Since the registry setting I provided you results in no warning with 5.2, I must conclude 5.1 was in error.

At any rate, due to your diligence and patience, this can now be considered a non-issue and can justly be put to rest.

Thanks again.

Just to put things straight: If you are MistakenMystic on Nexus, then it wasn't me who answered you with the reference to the sticky. And it wasn't the same warning the op has posted. And you didn't post such a wrong installation path on Nexus.

Looks like you really were tired that day.  ::):

Looks like you really were tired that day.  ::):

I did choose that name for a reason. :;): Many times it has been shown I have been 'mistaken'.

I'll go with your reason though, I was just tired. ::D:

Good to see you have a sense of humour about all of this. I would hate to get off to a bad start.