STEP Extended causes no main menu load on startup

swiftfoxmark2

Question

So I've got the STEP Extended ESP in my load order and when I have it activated, the main menu doesn't appear when I load Skyrim.  I just get the non-spinning emblem and no music.

I haven't been able to isolate the conflicting mod just yet, but I wanted to know if this was an issue that anyone else had and with what mod?

SKSE and RaceMenu are both up to date.

Later today when I'm not at work, I'll upload some of my settings to pastebin.  It is pretty much what STEP recommends, so I don't think you'll find anything.

I could try removing the masters from STEP Extended and then systematically remove the masters from my load order and see which one breaks.

I only say this because the last time I had this issue, it was because of The Dance of Death and Dragon Combat Overhaul not mixing well.  And the fact that when I leave STEP out of my load order and the game loads indicates that this is some issue with STEP for me.

SKSE and RaceMenu are both up to date.

Later today when I'm not at work, I'll upload some of my settings to pastebin.  It is pretty much what STEP recommends, so I don't think you'll find anything.

I could try removing the masters from STEP Extended and then systematically remove the masters from my load order and see which one breaks.

I only say this because the last time I had this issue, it was because of The Dance of Death and Dragon Combat Overhaul not mixing well.  And the fact that when I leave STEP out of my load order and the game loads indicates that this is some issue with STEP for me.

Did you mean to say 'STEP Extended Patch' and not just 'STEP' here? If not, I would say you have that backwards. STEP itself works flawlessly. It's when users add in non-STEP mods (mods that haven't been tested and approved, thus guaranteed to work with STEP) that issues start appearing. This is the case I would say with ~75% of the Support Threads.

Did you mean to say 'STEP Extended Patch' and not just 'STEP' here? If not, I would say you have that backwards. STEP itself works flawlessly. It's when users add in non-STEP mods (mods that haven't been tested and approved, thus guaranteed to work with STEP) that issues start appearing. This is the case I would say with ~75% of the Support Threads.

I know that.  When I played around with my load order, I deactivated everything except the files necessary to load the STEP Extended ESP.

I still had no main menu.

Okay, here's my information:

Load order: https://pastebin.com/R3HZpUTA

Skyrim.ini: https://pastebin.com/q9T9jM7A

SkyrimPrefs.ini: https://pastebin.com/3fMww8Fj

enblocal.ini: https://pastebin.com/G7LkFZPK

And finally, I ran "Check for errors" using TES5Edit on Step Extended Patch.esp and came up with this: https://pastebin.com/wbUpkjqK

For my load order, I've marked four esps as inactive, but they are part of the Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by swiftfoxmark2

Is one of your mods outdated? Or is the STEP Extended Patch outdated? The only reason possible for those errors is for either you to have an outdated/corrupt STEP Extended Patch, or an outdated/corrupt version of one of its masters. From the looks, either Audio Overhaul for Skyrim, or ADS.esp (can't rightly recall the name of the mod right now).

I found it.

Bring Out Your Dead.esp conflicts with STEP Extended Patch.esp.

For now, I'm going to remove BYOD from my load order completely.  If anyone has the same issue, let me know.

EDIT: Actually scratch that.  Looks like BYOD is required for the STEP Extended Patch.esp.  Funny, I had it unchecked and was able to load my game without a CTD.

Edited by swiftfoxmark2

Previously you did the "check for errors" in tes5edit which pointed out that there is something wrong with a few of the records.

I checked a random sample of the formIDs that had the error and it seems to match up with AOS.

Did you redownload and install AOS or did you miss that suggestion that was given?

If you did redownload can you run the "check for errors" once more in tes5edit to verify that ALL of the errors are gone.

If you happen to have missed the suggestion then can you do that now.

Previously you did the "check for errors" in tes5edit which pointed out that there is something wrong with a few of the records.

I checked a random sample of the formIDs that had the error and it seems to match up with AOS.

Did you redownload and install AOS or did you miss that suggestion that was given?

If you did redownload can you run the "check for errors" once more in tes5edit to verify that ALL of the errors are gone.

If you happen to have missed the suggestion then can you do that now.

Just ran a check and I got the following errors:

[00:01] Perth "Perth" [NPC_:0001996C]

[00:01]     NPC_ \ Packages \ PKID - Package -> [1100EA5A] < Error: Could not be resolved >

[00:01] DA08EbonyBlade "Ebony Blade" [WEAP:0004A38F]

[00:01]     WEAP \ KWDA - Keywords \ Keyword -> [0101A409] < Error: Could not be resolved >

Anyway, right now it loads fine as long as Bring Out Your Dead is installed but the ESP is left unchecked.  Which is weird but I'm glad it works for now.

Just ran a check and I got the following errors:

Anyway, right now it loads fine as long as Bring Out Your Dead is installed but the ESP is left unchecked.  Which is weird but I'm glad it works for now.

Thank you! I just installed step extended for the first time and was having this same issue.  Driving me crazy trying to figure out what was going on, but this worked perfectly!