z929669

Add Your System Specs to the Wiki

We encourage all members to add your system specs to the wiki via the STEP Portal (add/edit links at upper right).

This makes it convenient to link in support forums or (even better) in your signature (see my sig below) and standardizes presentation for comparative purposes. These specs can also be linked to from any other 'presence' our users maintain in other parts of the web.

... so if you post on Reddit (or a blog or whatever), you can add a convenient link to your system specs, courtesy of STEP :thumbsup:

Adding your system specs also sets us up to relate user configurations to performance once we have that configured :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS: also notice the link to create a mod page on our site, which is a welcome contribution that helps us out! (just be certain that the mod page does not already exist under a similar name! ... else we will have a redundant mod page)

Note that the System Specs wiki Template and Form were updated to allow users to indicate if they use RAID 0 when HDD storage is selected. Also added steps to the VRAM and changed the format of the options to be more intuitive.

Anyone that has already entered their system specs will need to go onto their user page:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Username/SystemSpecs

then: "PAGE TOOLS" > "EDIT WITH FORM"

... and re-save to get rid of the annoying little triangle that will now appear (due to addition of a new property within the Template and Form)

Hmm, maybe also add system ram size(probably type out the number) or use a standardized format (like 2x4GB), type(DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4) and the speed(type out the number)

Note that the System Specs wiki Template and Form were updated to allow users to indicate if they use RAID 0 when HDD storage is selected. Also added steps to the VRAM and changed the format of the options to be more intuitive.

Anyone that has already entered their system specs will need to go onto their user page:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Username/SystemSpecs

then: "PAGE TOOLS" > "EDIT WITH FORM"

... and re-save to get rid of the annoying little triangle that will now appear (due to addition of a new property within the Template and Form)

Done and maybe you want to add the option to enter a second screen/resolution if used.

Edited by Simondererste

Agree about adding RAM, but we'll keep it in simple format. Memory speed is not really applicable to Skyrim though, and the CPU basically infers the RAM speed potential.

Multi-monitor setups for games are not common, but we can add a variable for that too I suppose ... variable monitor res is just not practical though.

The system specs template is accounting for the major hardware bottlenecks rather than variations to the general components (e.g., Mobo, RAM specs, GPU clocks, etc).

Will update once I add those features.

Thanks

EDIT: I added System RAM (those of you that updated already may want to do so again!), but I did not upgrade for multi-monitor setups, because they are not practical from what I have learned. people use it, but we don't recommend it, due (fe.) to issues with presenting the game menus.

My Ultra-Mediocre rig is up.

Note that from a performance standpoint (HDD I/O), I have Skyrim all over the place; game files on old, slow 5400 rpm HDDs and symlinked data (bsa's) on both a RAMDISK and an SSD. I have also extensively optimized my diffuse textures and normal maps to lower resolutions in order to feed my little 7770 a higher performance diet. Just sayin, as these type "unique" changes may slightly distort system performance indicators.

Since some modern GPUs can be overclocked heavily, where do we put our GPU OC?

We don't use that data, because it just adds to the noise, and the GPU overclock does not add anything really noteworthy to performance.

It says that I can't change my signature until I have one more approved posts. Once that happens, I assume that all I have to do is paste the link to my profile page in the signature area.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By z929669
      Up until a week or so ago, forum members that had never logged into the wiki prior to Feb 12, 2021 were unable to log onto the Step wiki. Why? We had permissions missing after the site move at that time.
      Since nobody mentioned it until @Ruedii did so a couple of weeks ago, we never knew it. It should be fixed now, so that anyone that has forum membership should once again be able to log onto the wiki with same member name and password.
      note that if your member name begins with a lower case letter, it will need to be upper case for the wiki user name. This is just a wiki thing, so no getting around it. Once logged in, simply check the box so that future logins don't require a password (if browser cookies are enabled).
    • By z929669
      New Topic Biolerplate
      <p> <span style="font-size:14px; font-weight:bold;">Discussion topic:</span><br> <span style="font-size:24px; font-weight:bold;"><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" href="https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Template:TemplateName" rel="">Template:TemplateName</a></span> </p> <hr> <p> &nbsp;   </p> When creating templates on the wiki, please use the following format, which strictly implements the 'noinclude'/'includeonly' tags and relevant HTML and adds other useful info. Cut/paste EXACTLY and edit in place (please don't add additional line breaks or markup unless absolutely necessary).
      Template code MUST be placed between the 'noinclude'/'includeonly' tags without spaces or line breaks. Spaces and line breaks can lead to unexpected results in certain situations. Any linked templates under "Related Templates" should take the form of {{:TEMPLATE NAME}} (note the colon at front). Available Template Categories
      New template Biolerplate
      <includeonly>__NOTOC__<includeonly><INSERT TEMPLATE CODE HERE WITHOUT ANY SPACES OR LINE BREAKS></includeonly><noinclude>__NOTOC__[[Category:Template Category Name]][https://stepmodifications.org/forum/topic/15978-pagetitle/ '''Forum Topic'''] == Purpose & Usage == Describe what this template is intended to do and how it works. === Required Parameters === <span class="salmontx">'''parameterName'''</span> - parameterDescription : '''Values''' :: Default: [ n/a; <code>parameterName=parameterDefaultValue</code> | <code>parameterName=parameterDefaultValue</code> ] :* ''parameterDefaultValue'' ... :* parameterValue2 :* parameterValue3 :* parameterValueN ... === Optional Parameters === : '''Values''' :: Default: [ n/a; <code>parameterName=parameterDefaultValue</code> | <code>parameterName=parameterDefaultValue</code> ] :* ''parameterDefaultValue'' ... :* parameterValue2 :* parameterValue3 :* parameterValueN ... == Examples == : '''Code:''' <code><nowiki>{{TEMPLATE NAME AND PARAMETERS}}</nowiki></code> : '''Result:''' :: {{TEMPLATE NAME AND PARAMETERS}} == Related Templates == [[:RELATED TEMPLATE NAME AND ARGUMENTS]] </noinclude>  
    • By z929669
      Deployment Successful, thanks to the work of the team and TechAngel85 for updating the newest versions of the LE and SE guides. We hope you like the upgrade. Note that BB code is no longer supported, but the WYSIWYG editor here is much better. Image handling is more intuitive.

Finally. We are pleased to announce the planned release of "STEP 3.0" on Saturday, February 13, 2021 to upgrade software, features and services.

As we had announced nearly 4 years ago now, we will be moving the site to a new server with updated software and features. Our new URL (unavailable until Feb 13): https://stepmodifications.org
      This upgrade will require a rather extensive downtime of up to 6 hours if things go as planned. Future maintenance downtime will no longer be required for more than a few minutes.
      Notable Wiki Upgrades
      To date, the STEP wiki has primarily been used for serving up our Skyrim modding and tool guides in addition to user-created guides and content. This infrastructure has been supported using Mediawiki and Semantic Mediawiki. This software has served its purposes pretty well. The latest Mediawiki software opens up more possibilities, enhancements, and features:
      Mediawiki - v1.21 --> v1.35 (LTS) Extension: Semantic Mediawiki - v1.18 --> v3.2 Extension: CSS - we will no longer be supporting custom styling, so content creators will need to use other solutions that the new software will provide within the constraints of site themes. Please PM z929669 or TechAngel85 for more info. All other extensions upgraded Forums Upgrade
      These forums currently run on Invision Power Board v3.4.6. We will be upgrading to version 4.5.4, which offers some significant enhancements:
      Enhanced security HTML posting support via CKeditor (BB code will be deprecated) Much better admin support and user features Overall Upgrades
      New Guides:
      New Skyrim SE v1.0.0 guide New Skyrim LE v3.0.0 guide - Unless a significant proportion of the community feels otherwise, this will be the final release of STEP's Skyrim LE guide. It will be supported perpetually. The updated platform has the capacity to support guide creation and maintenance of multiple moddable games. This includes:
      Forum support for each supported game User-select-able, site-wide themes (Light, Dark, and Classic) Semantic Mediawiki-powered infrastructure for building STEP guides Significant improvements to mod inclusion into guides and guide flow using collapsible mod tables allows guide users to follow an entire guide without ever needing to navigate away from the page (except to obtain mod packages from providers) Games supported at launch: Beyond Skyrim Fallout 3 Fallout 4 Fallout New Vegas Morrowind Morroblivion Oblivion Skyblivion Skyrim LE Skyrim SE Skyrim VR Skywind No Mans Sky We WILL NOT have guides for all of these games at the outset. Nor will we have all relevant modding content, tools, and ancillary guides specific to each. Nevertheless, we WILL have the infrastructure to support guide creators/maintainers and related content. Those interested in creating and maintaining an official STEP guide for your favorite supported game, please PM z929669 or TechAngel85.