Version Numbering Issues

BAPACop

Question

Mod Organizer is doing a weird thing where the version number I type in isn't the number it displays. For example, 1.1.3a turns into 1.1.3alpha. 2.0b turns into 2.0beta. And when trying to enter versions in a date format, there's not enough room for characters in the box. You can't enter 12.12.2012d into the box because it won't accept the "d" at the end. You have to edit the meta.ini file directly instead.

There have been a number of variations employed by Tannin in formatting the version numbers. The current format covers most mods available and does the job it is designed for.

Keep in mind the version number is only indicative of the number the author has on the header part of the mod page. It is possible to have the latest version as described by the "File Section" but have MO show it as needing attention because the mod author hasn't fixed the page.

In the scheme of things the version numbering is very minor and if it doesn't suit your likes then there isn't a lot to do other than deal with it.

Additionally, there is no need to post a question here AND place multiple bug reports on the tracker. One report is sufficient. Please keep this in mind in the future.

The last time I posted an issue here no one responded. You'll forgive me for posting in multiple locations to ensure someone actually gets around to talking to me about it. I don't link to Nexus mods. I put mods in myself and I type the version numbers in myself. I need to be able to compare the version numbers in MO to the version numbers available for download. Why do I have to "deal with it"? Why can't an obviously broken feature be fixed? I typed 1.1.3a. I didn't type 1.1.3alpha. Why would MO displaying anything other than what I typed in ever be proper behavior?

When I type in "2.04.4" it spits out "2.4.4". How are those numbers the same?

When I type in "new" it spits out "0.0.0ew". How are those the same?

And it doesn't store them the same and just display them different. No, it stores them as "2.4.4.0" and "n0.0.0ew". So no, MO doesn't still read it as the correct version. Not even close.

Edited by BAPACop

This is a tool developed by one man, in his free time and offered for no money!

With an attitude like that it is probably indicative of why you don't get what you want all the time.

How about just being appreciative of the fine software that is given freely. No one is forcing you to use it.

@Nozzer66

You ninja'd me so it looks like I'm responding to you, I'm not.

Edited by GrantSP

[sarcasm]Oh, it's free? Well then! I guess that means it's absolutely immune from criticism.[/sarcasm]

It doesn't matter if it's free. It doesn't matter if it only has one person working on it. If it doesn't work right, it doesn't work right.

Just a preemptive strike here before this gets out of hand. Everyone is welcome to post their thoughts in a constructive, level headed manner and engage in thoughtful conversation for the betterment of MO and STEP. Please don’t escalate this conversation to that point.

I completely understand where @BAPACop is coming from.

If it has a feature then why doesn't that feature work correctly, especially with how mature MO is.

I would prefer a simple non-intrusive version numbering system but it is what it is at this point.

If you want to take this further then look for tannin bug genie  and look for a current Enhancement/feature/bug that talks about the version numbering system and then kindly request for what you would like to see it become.

Tannin will likely refuse.

If so, that is his choice.

Yes, it is free and its made in Tannin's free time but it is completely open to criticism because it is released to the public and accepted by many users.

This should probably end the discussion...

maybe...