New STEP Vsync Settings (all STEP users affected!)

TechAngel85

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're turning off vsync due to having Gsync, then you'll need to limit your FPS because the Skyrim engine goes haywire with any FPS higher than 60. So yes, use a limiter and you can do this in the drivers. If the option isn't available to you in the Nvidia CP, use Nvidia Inspector.

• 2 weeks later...

iPresentInterval=1

; Enables VSync. REQUIRED by ENBoost. This line needs to be manually added,
; as it is misplaced into SkyrimPrefs.ini by the Skyrim Launcher.

My question is:

Do I need to delete the "wrong" settings from skyrimprefs.ini or it is does not matter?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

OK, what I got from all of this is:

nVidia Inspector

Vertical Sync Tear Control: Standard

Vertical Sync: Use 3D app setting

Antialiasing - Mode: App controlled

Antialiasing - Setting: App controlled / Off

Anisotropic filtering mode: User-defined / Off

Anisotropic filtering setting: Off (due to using ENB)

nVidia control panel - reflects Inspector settings

Skyrim.ini

no iPresentInterval setting

SkyrimPrefs.ini

no iPresentInterval setting

(which should default the setting to 1 / on)

enblocal.ini

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
EnableVSync=true

This gives me anywhere from 70 - 120 fps (as reported by ENB) on a GTX 980 Ti 6GB

So I added this (well, added nothing, just changed settings from false/false/60.0):

WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=true
FPSLimit=59.9

Now ENB reports 52-56 fps.

Is it now just rendering every second frame or something? I don't know what is going on.

You copied in the three required files, right? (d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini)

Just turn the vsync off and limiter on if vsync isn't working for you. I'd use the one in the drivers though rather than the ENB limiter. You can also try vsync driver-side if you'd like. Also, you don't have to mirror anything in the Nvidia Control Panel, just change the settings in Nvidia Inspector and you'll be good. No need for both.

I only checked in the control panel to see whether the inspector changes were actually made.

I'll fiddle with things a bit, but I'd rather not use the nVidia vsnc as it makes my mouse feel laggy, like I am dragging it through mud, so I may just accept the 52-56. The play is ok, and as long as it's not a sign of something wrong I'm good with it, just a little confused is all, and that's pretty normal for me with Skyrim modding.

After reading through some of this thread:

Use vsync! (via graphics drivers) it does more than just resolve screen tearing. It organizes frame buffers and is particularly effective with tri-buffering (which most cards have now), it smooths out all 3d graphics and maximizes GFX efficiency ... I would also avoid third party GFX software, as it adds a layer of unnecessary complexity. At least thoroughly (and with reproducibility) test behaviors and effects before swearing by disabling vsync and running GFX add-ons.

Archived