BOSS (by WrinklyNinja)

Bealdwine

Question

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Oh, I just found this from the "Third Party Programs" tab of the MO guide (italics are mine for emphasis):===

Originally BOSS was supposed to be installed inside the data folder. Later that was changed so BOSS got its own directory; therefore, there are two locations MO looks in currently: the BOSS folder inside the game's base directory and the data folder inside the base directory.

===

This neatly explains why MO wasn't finding my BOSS. It was loose in the skyrim folder, not in a BOSS folder in the skyrim folder.

Yes, I should have done more reading first, but now this is here too in case someone else having the problem finds this thread.

EDIT: by "wasn't finding" I am referring to the auto-detection. The manual setup worked fine, other than the seeming quirkiness of BOSS itself not finding skyrim before I accidentally ran it from the start menu instead of from MO.

Edited by skaryzgik

If that's the case, why should we change it at all from the default? If the user is using a SSD, BOSS will take up a little bit of extra space if stored with the games, so it probably would be best to keep it on your normal hard drive. I think, therefore, the idea of installing BOSS to something different from the default is probably unnecessary.

I have BOSS installed to C:BOSS I usually just manually install the plugins in MO but then again, I'm used to juggling filesystems and folders around and having to do workarounds (a necessity when you have 4 separate Linux distros (5 if you include two installs of one) and two Windows 7 installs running and GRUB is like WTF IS THIS MAN! and the warm water Penguin says **** this I'm out and waddles away until you plop his sorry ass into the tank kicking and screaming, while pacman laughes and eats a few Mints, underneath his Arches.

A little bit of Linux humor, I'm sure William will get it at the least if no one else does, if not I feel so alone /me goes into a corner and cries

So BOSS just got an update apparently.

Changes since v2.2:

• Fixed: Ampersands now display correctly in the user rules editor's rule list.
  • Changed: The BOSS Log's plugin submitter now sends submissions to issue trackers hosted on GitHub, rather than a Bugzilla tracker hosted on Dark Creations.
  • Removed: Support checks for visual effects in the BOSS Log.
  • Removed: The UTF8-CPP library as a build dependency.
  • Removed: The MSVC 2013 Redistributable requirement, due to many reports from users encountering a variety of issues with it.

Didn't even know they were going to do this. Maybe LOOT isn't ready for center stage.

Didn't even know they were going to do this. Maybe LOOT isn't ready for center stage.

It's a bit like WinXP when Windows 7 came out.

BOSS' support may have been "depreciated" but enough people are still using it that it can't be considered near to EOL (end of life) yet.

I'm having an unusual problem with BOSS. The program works fine out of MO and normally but other programs that use BOSS e.g. BUM and any skyproc program such as DSR and reproccer get stuck at the running BOSS part. Also BOSS will not read any of the changes made in the userlist made by BUM only the generic one included with BOSS.Has anyone come up with this before?It's getting annoying now so would love to find some kind of solution, pretty please, fingers crossed etc...:)Ok problem is solved - it never occurred to me that placing BOSS in it's own folder in Common would be any kind of an issue but moving it out of the folder and into the common folder seems to have fixed it - don;t know why, don't know how, don't care/ SOLVED.

So true, I updated my B.U.M. then went into a shame spiral as I didn't remember that BOSS needs to be loose in the SteamCommon directory, not somewhere else more asthetically pleasing to me. Glad I found your old post.

while pacman laughes and eats a few Mints, underneath his Arches.

OT: I think this is probably the best line of that. Using pacman for Mint sounds interesting.

phazer, I think at times I aspire to be you. You do not need to cry in a corner. :-)