Sign in to follow this  
DocHammoc

Tip for viewing virtual directories and modded INI files.

Question

I had a great idea!  Too bad it didn't work.  Can someone explain why or have other thoughts?

So I want to view the directory structure and ini files the games sees when it runs with explorer.exe and notepad.exe.  So why not add explorer.exe as an MO tool!  I should be able then browse the folder structure as TESV.exe sees it (edit files, etc from apps launched from the explorer.exe ..)

Not quite.  Explorer.exe did not seem to work.  However notepad.exe and cmd.exe did!

That is you can launch cmd.exe from in MO and cd to ..\skyrim\data and view virtual folder and files!

Similarly you can call notepad.exe with argument to "..\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\skyrim.ini" and see changes made.

HOWEVER:  Only changes made from profiles are seen, not INI Tweaks from mods.  So the skyrim.ini file from "..\Documents\My Games\Skyrim" will be "copied" to "..\Documents\My Games\Skyrim" but INI Tweak from mods my "custom INI tweak" mod is not applied.  I think the tweak does get applied when running TESV.exe however as I can see affect of it in game .. but more testing is needed.

Anyone comments appreciated.

2 answers to this question

As the wiki explains, it is not possible to use Windows explorer to view the VFS. There are however other file managers, such as FreeCommander XE, that can be set up to do this.

The reason why is explorer is intrinsically linked to the Windows file system and it is not possible to have the VFS viewed in that manner. Whichever file manager is used needs to be 'tricked' into thinking it is viewing the actual file system.

Just about any tool can be utilised in this way, as long as it is 32bit. 64bit programs simply cannot be used in the MO VFS.

I've had a much better experience with the freeware program "File Explorer" than with FreeCommander XE (which was unstable on my machine).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GrantSP
      In the course of my examinations with the default settings of the various games that are catered for by MO, Fallout[3,NV], Oblivion & Skyrim. I created the full ini files with the saveini command and then combined & sorted them to see which game engine uses it.

Doing this I found 
      bDisplayLODBuildings was listed twice in the FalloutNV ini, first with a setting of 0 and then 1. This setting is also within the same section:
      [LOD] so it isn't a case of same name but different section. There are a lot of cases of that and this is slowing the detection work somewhat.

So what I would like to know is:

Is my Fallout.ini created correctly? Could anyone else check their ini and verify this for me?

Thanks in advance.
    • By DoubleYou
      Shadow Optimization for SSE

The goal of this thread is to discover the best vanilla shadow settings for SSE.

Sun-Shadow Transitions

Skyrim.ini
      [Display] bDisableShadowJumps=1 fSunShadowUpdateTime=1.0000 fSunStaticTimeUpdateScale=0.1000 fSunUpdateThreshold=0.5000These settings control sun-shadow movement. SSE modified shadows so that they move constantly with the movement of the sun by default (bDisableShadowJumps=1), in which case fSunShadowUpdateTime and fSunUpdateThreshold are ignored. This can cause constant shadow flickering at places, so many users find it best to go back to the Oldrim method by setting bDisableShadowJumps=0 and utilizing the fSunShadowUpdateTime and fSunUpdateThreshold to modify how often the shadows update in relation to the sun. However, setting bDisableShadowJumps to 0 may cause blinking shadows, so it is recommended to leave it at its default of 1 if you experience blinking shadows.
      fSunShadowUpdateTime sets the speed of sun-shadow transitions in seconds when bDisableShadowJumps=0. It is recommended to be adjusted to minimize the transitions. fSunStaticTimeUpdateScale sets the amount of time in seconds that passes between updating the shadows with the sun when bDisableShadowJumps=1. There is no transition using this method. fSunUpdateThreshold sets the time between sun-shadow transitions when bDisableShadowJumps=0. A value of 0.05 is equal to 1 second, so a value of 1 equals 20 seconds. Increasing this also increases the distance the shadows will move during the transition. It is recommended to be adjusted to minimize the transitions. Current recommendation:

Skyrim.ini
      [Display] bDisableShadowJumps=1 fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.25 fSunStaticTimeUpdateScale=0.1000 fSunUpdateThreshold=1.5Shadow Bias

Skyrim.ini
      [Display] fShadowDirectionalBiasScale=0.3fShadowDirectionalBiasScale sets the directional bias of the shadows applied to surfaces.Low values reduce peter-panning (detached shadows), but cause more shadow acne (AKA shadow striping). Please note that while fShadowBiasScale does exist in the INI files, it does not appear to work, and is presumed to be a leftover from Oldrim. Current recommendation:

Skyrim.ini
      [Display] fShadowDirectionalBiasScale=0.47Land Shadows

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] bDrawLandShadows=0bDrawLandShadows toggles the ability of land objects such as rocks and mountains to cast shadows. bDrawLandShadows=0

bDrawLandShadows=1

Current recommendation:

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] bDrawLandShadows=1Tree Shadows

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] bTreesReceiveShadows=1bTreesReceiveShadows toggles the ability of trees to cast shadows on themselves. bTreesReceiveShadows=1

bTreesReceiveShadows=0

Current recommendation:

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] bTreesReceiveShadows=1Interior Shadow Draw Distance

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] fInteriorShadowDistance=3000fInteriorShadowDistance sets the distance that shadows are cast from the player while indoors. In Oldrim, and presumably also in SSE, increasing this greatly increased the likelihood of seeing blinking lights, so it is recommended to be left at its default value. Current recommendation:

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] fInteriorShadowDistance=3000Exterior Shadow Draw Distance

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] fShadowDistance=8000fShadowDistance sets the distance that shadows are cast from the player outdoors. Increasing this decreases the relative resolution of shadows. Increasing this has a small performance cost. fShadowDistance=8000

fShadowDistance=2800

Current recommendation:

Reasoning for recommendation:
      1 cell is 4096 units.
      2 cells is 8192 units. 2 cells seems far enough.

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] fShadowDistance=8192Detailed Shadow Draw Distance

Skyrim.ini
      [Display] fFirstSliceDistance=1250fFirstSliceDistance sets the distance that full resolution shadows are cast from the player. You can sometimes visibly see the line where the detailed shadows (fFirstSliceDistance) stop and the lower resolution shadows (fShadowDistance) begins. I believe this value is used only in exteriors. Increasing this does not lower the relative resolution of shadows like fShadowDistance does. Increasing it has a small performance cost. fFirstSliceDistance=2800

fFirstSliceDistance=0

Current recommendation: 

Reasoning for recommendation:
      1 cell is 4096 units.
      Hypotenuse of cell is 4096√2 ≈ 5,792.6188
      1/2 of that is about 2896
      Skyrim.ini
      [Display] fFirstSliceDistance=2896Shadow Splits

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] iNumSplits=2iNumSplits sets the number of shadow splits. Acceptable values appear to be 2 or 3. More experimentation with iNumSplits=3 is warranted. Setting this to 0 or lower crashes the game. A setting of 1 is buggy. 4 is buggy. It may prove in future that iNumSplits=3 is the superior value, as initial testing indicated that it vastly improved shadows. However, in-game testing reveals that it seems to cause issues in some areas, showing a shadow render line more often. Therefore, it is recommended to leave it at 2 unless this issue can be solved. iNumSplits=2
      iNumSplits=3

Current recommendation:

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] iNumSplits=2Shadow Resolution

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] iShadowMapResolution=2048iShadowMapResolution sets the resolution of shadows. This value controls virtually the entire performance impact of shadows. Current recommendation:

SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] iShadowMapResolution=2048

Settings to Be Tested

The following shadow settings (or presumed shadow settings -- some might not do anything to shadows at all) are relatively unknown and need to be tested to determine exactly what they control and how they can be usefully modified:

Skyrim.ini [Display] bCreateShadowRenderTarget=0 bDirShadowMapFullViewPort=1 bDisableHighTreeShadow=1 fExponentialShadowMapScale=10.0000 fLoadingMenuShadowBias=30.6400 fLoadingMenuShadowFallOff=0.0000 fMaxFocusShadowMapDistance=450.0000 fMaxHeightShadowCastingTrees=5000.0000 fShadowClampValue=0.3000 fShadowSparkleIntensity=0.2500 iEnableShadowCastingFlag=2 iLoadingMenuShadowLightFlags=1fShadowSparkleIntensity propably modifies the intensity of snow sparkles in shadowed areas. fShadowClampValue=0.3
      fShadowClampValue=3
      fShadowClampValue=-100

iEnableShadowCastingFlag=2
      iEnableShadowCastingFlag=0

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[Display] ffocusShadowMapDoubleEveryXUnit=450.0000 iNumFocusShadow=4Unused/Broken Settings

The following shadow settings are believed to be unused or broken:

Skyrim.ini
      [Display] bActorSelfShadowing=0 bShadowsOnGrass=1 fShadowBiasScale=1.0000bActorSelfShadowing is leftover from previous games and did not work in Oldrim. bShadowsOnGrass toggled the ability of shadows to be cast upon grass in Oldrim, but disabling it appears to break grass entirely in SSE. fShadowBiasScale set the shadow bias in Oldrim, but appears to have been replaced by fShadowDirectionalBiasScale in SSE. SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] iShadowMaskQuarter=4iShadowMaskQuarter actually works in SSE. However, changing it only produces bugs. Here is an example of iShadowMaskQuarter=2 so that you get an idea of what it is doing. Basically, by halving the value, it removes a quarter of the shadow mask. In order to have all 4 quarters of the shadow mask, you need to set it to 4. Setting it higher or lower produces game-breaking bugs. iShadowMaskQuarter=2

Current Recommendations

Skyrim.ini [Display] bDisableShadowJumps=1 fFirstSliceDistance=2896 fShadowDirectionalBiasScale=0.47 fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.25 fSunStaticTimeUpdateScale=0.1000 fSunUpdateThreshold=1.5 SkyrimPrefs.ini
      [Display] bDrawLandShadows=1 bTreesReceiveShadows=1 fInteriorShadowDistance=3000 fShadowDistance=8192 iNumSplits=2 iShadowMapResolution=2048
    • By DoubleYou
      In my research with Skyrim INI settings, I figured it would be fun to apply what I've learned to Fallout New Vegas. From this I have created a the following, which is a comprehensive list of all valid settings for Fallout New Vegas (any settings not listed here are invalid and not recognized by the game) along with their default values, with floating point values estimated to four decimal places. I have also added relavent comments left by Bethesda from the Fallout_default.ini file and some of my own. It is not recommended to use these as your INI Files!  Well, actually, on second thought, I totally recommend everyone replace their FalloutPrefs.ini with the one given here and selecting your Fallout Launcher preset again, as the default INI generation mechanism makes a royal mess out of the FalloutPrefs.ini file.

Extra: Unfortunately in Fallout New Vegas there is no equivalent to SkyrimCustom.ini in Skyrim, so any INI settings that you do not want to get overwritten by the Fallout Launcher or Steam should be loaded as a plugin INI or Mod Organizer INI tweak. No matter what, even if you set Fallout.ini to Read-only mode, Fallout Launcher will take control of Fallout.ini and force most if not all of its "default" settings from the Fallout_default.ini file.

Please note that these values and settings are not the same as the Fallout_default.ini in the Fallout New Vegas game directory, which is copied as your default Fallout.ini file at startup. These are the default settings that are hardcoded into the game itself if the setting is not specified to be some other value. In the case of the FalloutPrefs.ini, most of the defaults are determined by the values assigned when pressing the Defaults button in the in-game settings. The rest were gathered from the saveini command with a blank INI with three exceptions.

With three exceptions. Those three exceptions are the following, which are required to exist in the Fallout.ini for Fallout New Vegas not to CTD at startup. It is assumed that the default settings for these three settings are erroneous, and therefore the values from Fallout_default.ini were used. These three settings are:
      [Archive] SArchiveList=Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa [Fonts] SFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt SFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt Without these settings, Fallout New Vegas will CTD at startup.

It should also be noted that four settings also had to be added to the FalloutPrefs.ini in order to satisfy the Fallout Launcher that it needed to detect game settings, or are only used by the Fallout Launcher and therefore reproduced here, as they do not affect the main Fallout New Vegas game in any way:
      [Display] sD3DDevice="AMD Radeon HD 8650G" ;This is the name of my video card, which would be the name of your video card. This is the only setting required for the Fallout Launcher not to run its detection. [Launcher] bEnableFileSelection=0 bShowAllResolutions=0 uLastAspectRatio=1 ;These three setting are only used by the Fallout Launcher, and these are the defaults. They have been changed in the FalloutPrefs.ini below to their most desirable values. Now here are the default INIs:

Fallout.ini

FalloutPrefs.ini