Using ENB Manager

c0c0c0

Question

I've been running a pretty solid STEP config for over a year now but, due to an exploding waterblock, I'm having to do it all again on a new PC.  At least it's all newer hardware, right?

Anyway, I'm stuck at the ENBoost section of the build-out because I'm getting about 10 FPS the moment I try running with any variety of ENB.  I started out just setting up my old ENB (Phinix) but when that performed poorly, I went back and actually did a straight ENBoost, per the STEP instructions.  That gets me past the ILS but the performance is still horrible.  I've tried just about everything, including restoring the entire Skyrim folder from archive, and I keep getting the same issue.

I'm about to do this again, from scratch, exactly per the instructions.  Before I do this, I want to ask about the one place I am definitely not following the guide:  I'm using the ENB Manager java app to manage ENBs.  Seems like a safer way to go, and follows much the same thinking that went into Mod Manager.  Is there any reason why this might be causing me problems getting ENBoost running smoothly?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Yes. Although I don't know which ENB Manager was being used, but we just did a bit of troubleshooting with a user that parts of the ENB wasn't working (vsync and frame rate limiter to be specific). They were using a manager and as soon as they stopped using it and cleaned their Skyrim root directory of all the crap it put there, the ENB features started working perfectly.

FWIW, my issues turned out to be related to a dying video card (it's been a rough week for hardware at my house).  When I swapped out an older video card I had lying around, the "ENB Manager" managed ENBs worked just fine.

I dunno what "crap" you may have heard was being dumped into the Skyrim root, but the one I'm using just covers over whatever you tell it to.  Even it's file manifest is kept out of the root.

At this point, I suspect anyone who was having problems using a manager may have just not been using it right.

I find that, in the early stages of a build out, I do change out ENBs often.  I want to try different ones, and compare them to each other.  Even after I've settled on one I like, I still still see a new one pop up every once in a while promising more dazzle with better performance.  Of course, that's usually a lie so I'll grant that, at least at that point, there's no real value in a manager.