Oblivion ignoring MO after another problem "solved"

OH72

Question

Hi all, I have the following problem that I caused myself. It's probably not a big deal but I'd like some help as to how to proceed:

A while ago, I installed a few new mods. The game initially ran smoothly, but a few hours in started crashing in-game. I removed those mods again, on which the game started crashing on game start. 

On another tech support forum, someone suggested

If you removed mods and didn't archive invalidate via bsa redirection again then that may be the issue.  The game engine will crash on missing bsa, ini, esm or esp files.

You can try moving your oblivion.ini file out of your my games\oblivion folder and then start the game with the launcher to build a new one.

Of course, the person was unfamiliar with MO and its own ini editor. But I tried it to pinpoint the problem. Sure enough, the game started and savegames loaded, but a vanilla game, without the installed mods. Now, of course that wasn't a comme-il-faut solution, but evidently, the previous state wasn't tenable. So, having the backup of the old ini from the my games folder and MO, what would be the best course of action to proceed to get the game running with mods again. I should note that I'm running the Steam version of Oblivion, so have to start with Script Extender mode. When I initially found that for some reason, MO had lost its settings, I thought that was the problem, but enabling Script Extender Mode again in MO didn't change the fact that Oblivion loaded a vanialla game. Would be grateful for any pointers as to what to do.

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Ok, for whatever reason, updating MO was sufficient to make the game realize it was there again... which makes this problem solved. Unfortunately, one of the original problems which triggered the whole affair still remains.... but that's a different issue...

Please use the "marke solved" button when support questions are answered.

The issue is solved now, so I'm marking it now...

I'm guessing you forgot to enable Automatic Archive Invalidation under Profiles:

Click the profile Profiles_MO.png button in the toolbar and check Automatic Archive Invalidation. Repeat this for all new profiles you create.

That might have been the original problem, I can't check that now since for some reason, some settings were lost. However, when I check the Automatic Archive Invalidation and restart the game with the original ini in MyGames, it crashes again at the start. If I use the newly-created ini in MyGames, the game loads, but vanilla. For some reason, the game doesn't seem to realize MO is there. Should I reinstall the mods?

the mods are not the problem. Its the way MO works with Oblivion...

Oblivion is pretty consistent on being that odd child that doesn't want to be like the rest of his friends.

I cannot provide a perfect answer because I don't use mo for Oblivion.

Here are some questions...

which version of Oblivion are you using, are you using OBSE, any OBSE mods, how are your OBSE mods installed, what arguments are you using on the Oblivion.exe or Oblivion Launcher.exe, what exe do you use to launch your game, did you regenerate the Oblivion.in from the Oblivion launcher that was launched from within MO, did you do any sort of ini tweaks.

So many questions... but they are all relevant in one way or another.

the mods are not the problem. Its the way MO works with Oblivion...

Oblivion is pretty consistent on being that odd child that doesn't want to be like the rest of his friends.

I cannot provide a perfect answer because I don't use mo for Oblivion.

Here are some questions...

which version of Oblivion are you using, are you using OBSE, any OBSE mods, how are your OBSE mods installed, what arguments are you using on the Oblivion.exe or Oblivion Launcher.exe, what exe do you use to launch your game, did you regenerate the Oblivion.in from the Oblivion launcher that was launched from within MO, did you do any sort of ini tweaks.

So many questions... but they are all relevant in one way or another.

As I pointed out above, I'm using the Steam version, so I don't launch from within MO, but rather from Steam, using the ScriptExtender workaround. Of course I use OBSE, and here's what's in my plugins folder:

view?usp=sharing  Not sure why the image doesn't load, here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5La8b7zAKTseURBaW5QZVhhZmM/view?usp=sharing

Naturally, I did not regenerate the ini from a launcher launched from within MO, since I can't launch from within MO. But as I stated, the old ini in MyGames, of which I evidently kept a backup, works even less, it leads to CTD at game start.

Edited by OH72

... If you are using mo, you need to launch Oblivion.exe from mo... 
Let me browse around and see but I am sure thats how it is done unless something has completely changed

Ah, found the info
Taken directly from Mod Organizer's Nexus mod page

Load Mechanism:
---------------

To work its magic, a part of MO needs to be active while the game is running. To achieve this, you can start
the game from the MO User Interface. The GUI also offers the option to create shortcuts that will activate MO
and immediately run the game (or related tools).
HOWEVER, this mechanism may not work in all setups! Notably, the Steam version of Oblivion.
MO offers two alternative methods:
- Script Extender: If you have a Script Extender installed for the game (obse for Oblivion, fose for Fallout 3, nvse for
New Vegas or skse for Skyrim), you can have that activate Mod Organizer.
- Proxy DLL: In this mode, Mod Organizer replaces a dll that is part of the game by one that loads the original dll and
activates MO. Currently I use the steam_api.dll for this. Please note that I have only tested this with Skyrim and New Vegas.
If you use this last method, please deactivate it from the MO Interface if you want to uninstall MO.

If you load MO through either Script Extender or the proxy dll, you can still but do not have to run the game through the User Interface.

For Oblivion (Steam version) players: You have to activate "Script Extender" as the load mechanism and unfortunately you can't start the game from inside MO. Use MO to configure your mods, then quit and start Oblivion through Steam like you would without MO.

Okay, I am not up-to-date on this so ignore me for MO discussions for now... My bad...

Edited by hishutup

In my testing the script extender method must be used. So you mod in MO and run the game from Steam. I have also found out that running the game this way will use the configuration files from My Games instead of the last used profile. I tested this by deleting the ini files in the profile directory and launching the game from Steam. There was no prompt to set the graphic settings on startup. I did the same with the ini files in the My Games and got a prompt to setup the graphic option.

You also may have a corrupt modorganizer.ini file. To test this, archive the current one in the Mod Organizer folder and then rename or delete it and start MO. Mo will create a new modorganizer.ini when it starts. Warning this will reset MO to like being run for the first time, so you will be prompted to select the game you wish to mod and will erase any tool executables you have setup.

EDIT: Make sure that you have hook.dll and mo_path.txt in the Obliviov, OBSE,Plugins folder. This is in the games vanilla folder structure. If it is not there then change the scriptextender option back to Mod Organizer, restart MO and change it back to scriptextender again. Restear Mo and see if that helps. The path to the game is in mo_path.txt and should look similar to this, your path will vary: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\ModOrganizer.

EDIT: Make sure that you have hook.dll and mo_path.txt in the Obliviov, OBSE,Plugins folder. This is in the games vanilla folder structure. If it is not there then change the scriptextender option back to Mod Organizer, restart MO and change it back to scriptextender again. Restear Mo and see if that helps. The path to the game is in mo_path.txt and should look similar to this, your path will vary: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\ModOrganizer.

These are present, and the mo_path.txt is correct. Will check the other points.