Where is the guide or video for conflict resolution?

Glanzer

I looked through the guides here and also on youtube for a thorough "how to" for resolving mod conflicts using TES5Edit yourself without someone telling you exactly what the conflict is and how to resolve it.  I couldn't find anything like that.  There are lots of cleaning guides and a few *general* guides, but I'd like to have someone very knowledgable (like Arthmoor or Neovalen) put out an hour long video showing how THEY go about finding and resolving conflicts.  Yes I have spent many hours in TES5Edit following the STEP guides or other guides to resolve *specific* conflicts, and I've experimented myself in resolving what appeared to me to be conflicts, but I'd like to extend my knowledge.  The goal is for me to be able to create my own patches by looking through all the mods myself.  Here are some questions I have:

How should we set the filters properly in TES5Edit to find the conflicts?  What do all those filters mean?

What is a real conflict and what can we ignore?

Which records NEVER conflict?  For example I found these 2 references for that:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4468-tes5edit-which-record-types-dont-need-conflict-patches/

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3940-skyrim-tes5edit-records-that-merge-at-runtime/

Anyway, it would just be great for some conflict resolution expert to put out a video that starts "This video shows how I look for all mod conflicts and how I create resolution patches for them.  The methods I will show you can be generally applied to all kinds of conflicts for any mods..."

Maybe someone (eg. Tes5Edit's god/gurus) could share his strategy for dealing with conflicts.

I also have many doubts but usually I filter by type and make my patches step by step (audio, weather, npcs, etc).

In the meantime there's this link 

taken from SRLE conflict resolution page.

I usually do it by plugin. I go to the plugin I want to check and go through every conflict it has with anything else and fix/not fix depending on the result I want.

For example, I'll go to ELE or ELFX first 99 times in 100 and make sure I'm getting the results I want there. Once I have the general visuals mods sorted I'll go to character ones and then armour and weapons ones etc. I always keep an eye out for things like unofficial patch fixes not being carried through into the winning plugin, though, and if I find one I pull it through. Once you get the hang of it and realise not all reds are something you necessarily want to or need to fix, it's pretty simple and you can fly through it all.

Edited by Nozzer66

@Afonic Thanks for that video link, I was looking for that earlier today and couldn't find it.

@nozzer66 I kind of do the same thing with RLO and also audio and music sound spaces to make sure the right ambient sounds and music are playing for the cell I'm in. But when it gets into doing some more sophisticated things like adding new records to a patch file to accommodate records from 2 patches, things get more complicated. And in some of those cases the total has to be updated at the top of a list. And what about the records you're never supposed to touch or "bad things will happen"? Many of the records are easy to figure out, like light or sound records, or like the weight, damage, or price of items. But many records are a mystery to me. I'd like to see someone with a huge mod list step through the mods and discuss what the conflicting records are and what would happen if the records were not reconciled. Only today I finally figured out why mods sometimes need to be set as masters for other mods when copying records, but sometimes not.

I don't mess with navmeshes. ever. 

With records from 2 patches like you mention above, I copy as an override the one that has most information first into my patch file, then look at the other file(s) and move only the changes I want. I'll find that often all that may need to be changed is things like Water Height, and if I need to add anything like 'totals' I just go back and fix that after. 

As for ones that are a mystery... I work on 1) Googling it and 2) If I'm still not 100% confident, I'll just leave it alone. To be honest though, I haven't seen this happen that often.

Well maybe what I really need to do is find a good modders' guide to what the most frequently modded records are actually doing.  Other than perusing the CK documentation which is not that helpful (since it's hard to relate what it says to what you see in xEdit), can you think of any good resources?

CK doc:  https://www.creationkit.com/Category:Object_Classes

Regarding your comment about navmeshes, yeah I know not to touch those. And I've heard people say you should never delete navmeshes, you should move them out of the way instead, e.g. up into the sky or down into the floor.  Why?  I'm not a modder though so I guess it doesn't really matter.  If I were a modder then maybe I'd have to learn all this stuff and then I would know enough about all these records to know how to do advanced conflict resolution.  But it seems you shouldn't have to devote 6 months of your time modding just to be able to learn enough to do that.