Howto: Use CreationKit from MO

Tannin

Question

An alternative to the following instructions you can try the papyrus wrapper here: https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1513065-rel-advanced-papyrus/

As you might know, running the CreationKit from MO works like with any other executable and MO should discover the CK automatically if it's installed.
But since the Papyrus Script Compiler is a 64bit executable and MO doesn't support those, you can't compile scripts from the CK.

Except you can, because as it turns out, the PapyrusCompiler is in fact a "Any CPU" executable, which means it contains binaries for 32bit as well as 64bit. So if we could convince the compiler to run in 32-bit mode even on a 64-bit windows we win.
And here is how you can to that:
a) Download the "windows sdk with .net" package from the microsoft page. There are multiple versions of the package, it doesn't really matter which one you get but here is a very current one: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/bg162891
b) Start the downloaded installer. Take note of the install location (I'll assume "C:program files (x86)Microsoft Kitswindows8.1a"). During the installation you can select the features you want to install. You only need ".NET Framework 4.5.1 Software Development Kit" (or similar if you downloaded a different package).
c) open a command prompt (in the search field of the start menu type cmd then click on cmd.exe)
d) type in the following: "C:/program files (x86)/Microsoft Kits8.1a/bin/NETFX 4.5.1 Tools/corflags.exe" /32bit+ "c:/Program Files (x86)/steam/steamApps/common/skyrim/papyrus compiler/papyruscompiler.exe"
(This makes the papyruscompiler always run in 32-bit mode. If you ever want to undo that, run the same command with /32bit- instead of /32bit+)

Now with the current version of MO (1.2.14 and earlier) there is one more step because currently MO has a workaround for the papyruscompiler that doesn't work 100% and won't be needed with this solution

e) Download this hxxp://no_longer_needed and drop it into your MO directory. This is the same hook.dll as MO 1.2.14 but with the workaround removed.

From now on you should be able to run CK from MO and compile scripts without a problem.

Please let me know if this works for you.

• +1 5

It works, I can't remember what I typed into the cmd prompt, but I think I messed up my \ and / when typing the path. This time I followed the step wiki word for word, \ for \ and hey presto, scipto fixo, sorry caught a bit of Harry Potter the other night.

Cheers for the replys.

I went through all the steps in the original article except that the hook.dll file is no longer available.  It seems the fix doesn't work without it.  Where can I find this file?

I might have missed something, but the original post says this whole process is now unnecessary. It should just work (because Tannin is awesome :) ), Are you sure you have the most recent version of MO? If you're not certain, I'd try reinstalling it and testing it again.

Download and run the "Windows SDK for Windows" corresponding to the target OS.

Install to the default location and select only ".NET Framework Software Development Kit". Yes... I started with that only to find there was nothing in the download specifically labeled " .NET Framework Software development Kit" So I thought , hmmm....maybe this is part of the install of an older version, so I treid that but it wouldn't install because the matching net framework would have to be an older version too....well three days later, after eight hours on the phone with alienware tech support and I have finally got my computer updated back to modern standards. I tried the same with various versions of visual studio. I got through this string "C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/<Version>/bin/NETFX <Version> Tools , but there was never a NETFX inside of bin, so I never got past there. Is there a way to get the papyrus compiler to compile in 32 bit only by some other method or some recently updated program ? I am guessing that these tools existed when this page was created but I sure can't find them now. I don't have any idea how to contact user neovalen but I would like to know if this specific fix is of major or minor importance. I have been playing skyrim a while without ever hearing of this. But then I never heard you were supposed to quit and reload every time you die because the game loads unneeded files that can cause problems later. And I've only once been able to play a game beyond 2 or 3 hundred saves ( once I went over 900 saves )I am stuck on this step and waiting for knowledge before I continue. Please skyrim geniuses help me. May the ever elusive stability be our reward. edit hours later.....I finally manages to get the netfx file that is in the bin file. Now if I just had that developer command prompt. I've got one , but it is 2012 not 2013. Visual studio 2013 will not install because it says visual studio is not installed .....HUH ??? now I know they are out to get me ....sorry....when I do a search for developer command prompt it brings up the " Developer Command Prompt for VS2012 " how can it do that if it is not installed ??? I am so confused. Is there anyone who has done this successfully that would be willing to provide more detailed instruction ?? please one tiny step at a time.. Here's another good one "32bit+ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Edited by john7

Download and run the "Windows SDK for Windows" corresponding to the target OS.

Install to the default location and select only ".NET Framework Software Development Kit". Yes... I started with that only to find there was nothing in the download specifically labeled " .NET Framework Software development Kit" So I thought , hmmm....maybe this is part of the install of an older version, so I treid that but it wouldn't install because the matching net framework would have to be an older version too....well three days later, after eight hours on the phone with alienware tech support and I have finally got my computer updated back to modern standards. I tried the same with various versions of visual studio. I got through this string "C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/<Version>/bin/NETFX <Version> Tools , but there was never a NETFX inside of bin, so I never got past there. Is there a way to get the papyrus compiler to compile in 32 bit only by some other method or some recently updated program ? I am guessing that these tools existed when this page was created but I sure can't find them now. I don't have any idea how to contact user neovalen but I would like to know if this specific fix is of major or minor importance. I have been playing skyrim a while without ever hearing of this. But then I never heard you were supposed to quit and reload every time you die because the game loads unneeded files that can cause problems later. And I've only once been able to play a game beyond 2 or 3 hundred saves ( once I went over 900 saves )I am stuck on this step and waiting for knowledge before I continue. Please skyrim geniuses help me. May the ever elusive stability be our reward. edit hours later.....I finally manages to get the netfx file that is in the bin file. Now if I just had that developer command prompt. I've got one , but it is 2012 not 2013. Visual studio 2013 will not install because it says visual studio is not installed .....HUH ??? now I know they are out to get me ....sorry....when I do a search for developer command prompt it brings up the " Developer Command Prompt for VS2012 " how can it do that if it is not installed ??? I am so confused. Is there anyone who has done this successfully that would be willing to provide more detailed instruction ?? please one tiny step at a time.. Here's another good one "32bit+ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Have a look at the post immediately before your post. I mention that the original post may mean this is no longer necessary. Try it first by running the CK directly from MO and see if you can successfully compile a script that works in-game. If not, you still need to do this. If so, you're done, because that's all this is for.

As for saves, there should be tools to auto-delete old saves. If not, let me know by PMing me and I'll make one. I've already made tools to work with saves, both vanilla and MO profile saves, so it would be a very simple matter. Just note that it would NOT be a mod inside of Skyrim, but rather a program outside Skyrim entirely.

As for exiting when you die... I've heard of that, but I've never, ever, ever done it. I have over 1300 hours of play time. This has never caused me a problem. Then again, I've also never experienced an issue with using quicksaves, and a large number of people had issues with that, too, so maybe I'm just lucky...

If you do need to do this because the CK still can't compile working scripts when run through MO, then I'll see about trying it again to see what steps might have been messed up.

I called alienware and got them to help me get the command string in. The way it worked was to open start menu and type cmd. cmd.exe appears at the top of the list. Right click cmd and click run as administrator. The msdos screen pops up with C:\>Windows\System32. To get back to the C:\ prompt I type in cd..to get back to Windows ( or remove the system 32 part)and then type cd.. (that's CEE DEE dot dot) again to get back to just a C:\ prompt. Next type in cd Program Files (x86)and hit enter. then type in cd Microsoft SDKs and hit enter. Then type cd Windows and hit enter. then type cd v8.1a and hit enter. then type cd bin and hit enter. Then type cd NETFX 4.5.1 Tools and hit enter and now there should be a > after the word tools. From here you can just copy and paste CorFlags.exe /32bit+ "C"\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim\Papyrus Compiler\PapyrusCompiler.exe" I have not reached the stage where I guess I will be compiling papyrus, so I have no proof yet of whether or not it worked and since I don't have any idea how to do that until I learn from this guide ( I hope ) I really can't know if this is functionally putting out ONLY 32 info. I have never used creation kit before. I am just trying to learn from someone who knows more than me about getting mods to work without breaking my game. I do enjoy learning new things. Now I have fought with this papyrus compiler thing for three or four days I am scared to try the DDSopt project and must condemn myself to downloading all those optimized texture packs with my internet speed capped at 1.5 mb down. See you in a week or two. Love, Peace and chicken grease. Thanx for reply. in case it matters to anyone else having this problem I am using windows 7 even though the file path above mentions 8.1 .... I think it was the SDK download that says it is for 8.1 but right below that it says it supports windows 7. anyway I hope it worked, I won't know til I get to the part where I compile some papyrus.:) whatever that means.....I need a nap

Edited by john7

I currently have the latest version of MO installed, compiling doesn't work.

I verfified cache integrity, compiling doesn't work.

I tried setting the /32bit+ flag, compiling doesn't work.

It was working fine, before Bethesda put out an update, and Steam being Steam, I had no choice in the matter.

Anyhow now I'm back to not being able to even add a script,

1. Add script

2. Give it a name.

3. Click ok.................

4. See below.

Papyrus Error.

Compile results:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "MDMCustomChairScript"...
<unknown>(0,0): Unable to find flags file: TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg
E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(1,0): Unknown user flag Hidden
No output generated for MDMCustomChairScript, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Failed on MDMCustomChairScript

Is there a way of rolling back my CK install.

I currently have the latest version of MO installed, compiling doesn't work.

I verfified cache integrity, compiling doesn't work.

I tried setting the /32bit+ flag, compiling doesn't work.

It was working fine, before Bethesda put out an update, and Steam being Steam, I had no choice in the matter.

Anyhow now I'm back to not being able to even add a script,

1. Add script

2. Give it a name.

3. Click ok.................

4. See below.

Papyrus Error.

Compile results:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...

Compiling "MDMCustomChairScript"...

(0,0): Unable to find flags file: TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg

E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(1,0): Unknown user flag Hidden

No output generated for MDMCustomChairScript, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.

Failed on MDMCustomChairScript

Is there a way of rolling back my CK install.

1. Go into your Steam Library.

2. At top left to the right of Search is Games.

• Click it and a drop-down appears.
  • Select Tools.

3. Find Skyrim Creation Kit.

4. Right-click it and select Delete Local Content

5. Now reinstall it.

1. Go into your Steam Library.

2. At top left to the right of Search is Games.

• Click it and a drop-down appears.
  • Select Tools.

3. Find Skyrim Creation Kit.

4. Right-click it and select Delete Local Content

5. Now reinstall it.

Still no good, but thanks anyway.

Also note that in the recent updates the Scripts are no longer provided in the Scripts folder. You'll need to find Scripts.rar in the Data folder and extract it to the Scripts folder.

So that's what that rar was for I thought it was from one of my mistakes, still no good, I tried extracting directly to the data folder, I even tried adding it through MO itself, same error, since I Re-installed the CK files do I need to redo the /32bit+ switch thing, or is that method redundant?