Howto: Use CreationKit from MO

Tannin

Question

An alternative to the following instructions you can try the papyrus wrapper here: https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1513065-rel-advanced-papyrus/

As you might know, running the CreationKit from MO works like with any other executable and MO should discover the CK automatically if it's installed.
But since the Papyrus Script Compiler is a 64bit executable and MO doesn't support those, you can't compile scripts from the CK.

Except you can, because as it turns out, the PapyrusCompiler is in fact a "Any CPU" executable, which means it contains binaries for 32bit as well as 64bit. So if we could convince the compiler to run in 32-bit mode even on a 64-bit windows we win.
And here is how you can to that:
a) Download the "windows sdk with .net" package from the microsoft page. There are multiple versions of the package, it doesn't really matter which one you get but here is a very current one: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/bg162891
b) Start the downloaded installer. Take note of the install location (I'll assume "C:program files (x86)Microsoft Kitswindows8.1a"). During the installation you can select the features you want to install. You only need ".NET Framework 4.5.1 Software Development Kit" (or similar if you downloaded a different package).
c) open a command prompt (in the search field of the start menu type cmd then click on cmd.exe)
d) type in the following: "C:/program files (x86)/Microsoft Kits8.1a/bin/NETFX 4.5.1 Tools/corflags.exe" /32bit+ "c:/Program Files (x86)/steam/steamApps/common/skyrim/papyrus compiler/papyruscompiler.exe"
(This makes the papyruscompiler always run in 32-bit mode. If you ever want to undo that, run the same command with /32bit- instead of /32bit+)

Now with the current version of MO (1.2.14 and earlier) there is one more step because currently MO has a workaround for the papyruscompiler that doesn't work 100% and won't be needed with this solution

e) Download this hxxp://no_longer_needed and drop it into your MO directory. This is the same hook.dll as MO 1.2.14 but with the workaround removed.

From now on you should be able to run CK from MO and compile scripts without a problem.

Please let me know if this works for you.

• +1 5

Here what i did, i launch CK from mod organizer, following tutorial from here https://www.creationkit.com/Category:Getting_Started i create empty plugin named "testquest.esm".

He is now in my MO ovewrite folder together with txt file which have line "Data File Loaded 'Skyrim.esm'...".

Is this means that actually works? How do i check does it work or not?

I can also see all mods i've install so far in CK

Right-clicking on the 'Overwrite' folder and selecting 'Create Mod' will give a prompt to name a new mod that will appear in the 'Left-hand pane'.

Activating that mod in the 'Left-hand pane' will place the testquest.esm (shouldn't that be a *.esp file?) in the 'Right-hand pane', if that file is then activated, any changes that plugin provides will be available ingame. (Provided that plugin is in the correct order and is not being overwritten by another plugin.) 

That's not quite the answer what i was looking for.

My problem was "corflags error cf001 could not open file for writing" as i wanted use CK through MO. This issue still persist, but i want to know what test i need to do to so that i can see error that CK puts when i use it, so i create some fake mod.

From OP

But since the Papyrus Script Compiler is a 64bit executable and MO doesn't support those, you can't compile scripts from the CK.

So what error shows and when. I hope you understand that even i get error with corflags i want test CK. How. Does above action means that work or..?

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I don't have a file named corflags anywhere in my Windows Kits folder. I've double checked that that I selected the .NET Framework during installation. I also don't have any files or folders with NET Framework in the name. Anyone have any ideas what I might have messed up or is there another way to manage this?

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I don't have a file named corflags anywhere in my Windows Kits folder. I've double checked that that I selected the .NET Framework during installation. I also don't have any files or folders with NET Framework in the name. Anyone have any ideas what I might have messed up or is there another way to manage this?

Check your options when given them in the installer. It is also possible that you downloaded the listed installer but Microsoft have shifted that tool to another. I haven't taken that step myself so I can't be certain.

Doing a search for that tool still indicates though that it is in the .NET version of the Windows SDK.

Try installing again.

I'd already tried installing 3 or 4 times to see what I was missing. I just now decided to simply install all of the options and discovered my issue. It doesn't actually tell me which folder it's installing to, and I was looking in "Windows Kits" because that made since considering it's "Windows Software Development Kit" and the first post used "MicrosoftKits" as the dummy text. It actually installs to "Microsoft SDKs\Windows" (full path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools" for reference for others). So, now I have .75 GB more stuff than I need but it's there haha.

I've followed the tutorial, still no good, I've verified the integrity of the game cache (it was mentioned in another forum) still no good. Once I completed the CMD prompt part I get this message:

Version      : v2.0.50727

CLR Header: 2.5

PE             : PE32

CorFlags    : 0x1

ILONLY      : 1

32BITREQ  : 0

32BITPREF : 0

Signed       : 0

I'm not sure if all that means it worked.

I copied the new hook.dll file.

I go into the CK create a script, name it, hit ok, and I get this message:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...

Compiling "MDMTestSit"...

<unknown>(0,0): unable to locate script MDMTestSit

No output generated for MDMTestSit, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.

Failed on MDMTestSit

Help....Please

The problem he encountered is that the default path listed in the OP is deceptively similar to the actual Steam path. This is also why no one was able to see the issue.

It's been fixed in the wiki, I see. The OP here indicates "Steam Apps" instead of SteamApps which is easily overlooked.

Edited by UnmeiX