Howto: Use CreationKit from MO

Tannin

Question

An alternative to the following instructions you can try the papyrus wrapper here: https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1513065-rel-advanced-papyrus/

As you might know, running the CreationKit from MO works like with any other executable and MO should discover the CK automatically if it's installed.
But since the Papyrus Script Compiler is a 64bit executable and MO doesn't support those, you can't compile scripts from the CK.

Except you can, because as it turns out, the PapyrusCompiler is in fact a "Any CPU" executable, which means it contains binaries for 32bit as well as 64bit. So if we could convince the compiler to run in 32-bit mode even on a 64-bit windows we win.
And here is how you can to that:
a) Download the "windows sdk with .net" package from the microsoft page. There are multiple versions of the package, it doesn't really matter which one you get but here is a very current one: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/bg162891
b) Start the downloaded installer. Take note of the install location (I'll assume "C:program files (x86)Microsoft Kitswindows8.1a"). During the installation you can select the features you want to install. You only need ".NET Framework 4.5.1 Software Development Kit" (or similar if you downloaded a different package).
c) open a command prompt (in the search field of the start menu type cmd then click on cmd.exe)
d) type in the following: "C:/program files (x86)/Microsoft Kits8.1a/bin/NETFX 4.5.1 Tools/corflags.exe" /32bit+ "c:/Program Files (x86)/steam/steamApps/common/skyrim/papyrus compiler/papyruscompiler.exe"
(This makes the papyruscompiler always run in 32-bit mode. If you ever want to undo that, run the same command with /32bit- instead of /32bit+)

Now with the current version of MO (1.2.14 and earlier) there is one more step because currently MO has a workaround for the papyruscompiler that doesn't work 100% and won't be needed with this solution

e) Download this hxxp://no_longer_needed and drop it into your MO directory. This is the same hook.dll as MO 1.2.14 but with the workaround removed.

From now on you should be able to run CK from MO and compile scripts without a problem.

Please let me know if this works for you.

• +1 5

In windows 8.1 correct location is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools..."

But it's not working for me and it gives me error (corflags error cf001 could not open file for writing)

After 1h of trying every solution i could find, error still exist.

Edited by ogorman

Make sure the path to the corflags.exe is enclosed in double quotes and then the switch is separate and then the path to the Papyrus Compiler is also enclosed in double quotes.

"C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Kits\8.1a\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools\corflags.exe" /32bit+ "c:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steam apps\common\skyrim\papyrus compiler\papyruscompiler.exe"

These are the paths as described in the wiki.

Have no idea why how he have that path. I installed steam out of c:\, where windows exist. Have installed visual studio 2013 in c:\ too

my path is : "C:/program files (x86)/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v8.1A/bin/NETFX 4.5.1 Tools/corflags.exe" /32bit+ "d:/Program Files (x86)/steam/steam apps/common/skyrim/papyrus compiler/papyruscompiler.exe"

try run cmd as admin, try run vs 2013 cmd, try to give permission to folders etc but same result.

Edited by ogorman

The actual paths as listed in the wiki are not real. They are used only to show the need to enclose each path in double quotes and have the switch 

/32bit+

in between them. Depending on where each user installed the SDK and the Creation Kit those paths will be different.

• +1 1

I said installed in different partition than one which holds windows itself, which is C:\ , not program files.

Program files in other partition were created by default while i installed steam. You know, when you install stuff, it offers you C:\ by defult and you just change your drive letter.

Edited by ogorman