The type initializer for 'SevenZip.SevenZipLibraryManager' threw an exception

permidion

Question

hello

I just started using MO and im already stuck while trying to install SkyUI,

when doing an install from archive and selecting the SkyUI file,  SkyUI_4_1-3863-4-1.7z

I get the following error message:

"The type initializer for 'SevenZip.SevenZipLibraryManager' threw an exception"

and

"installation failed (errorcode 5)

I did a quick search and found a comment advicing to "downgrade NNC", but that didnt solve the problem.

Any idea whats wrong and how to solve this ?

thanks you very much

A lot of misinformation in this thread, but thankfully Tannin has dispelled most of it. First, C# installers are supported by NCC, and although NCC did have errors in a number of old versions, it works correctly currently AFAIK. Secondly, installation of .NET 4.5 does not provide support for all versions of .NET. For some older application you will also have to install or enable the older versions including 3.5, 2, 1.1, which are all allowed to be enabled at the same time. I was rather certain that Mod Organizer uses version 4+, but it might actually be 3.5. If you are managing Skyrim, I believe 3.5 is installed automatically for you since it is one of the redistributables it gives you.

Now the reason for the error most likely is a permissions issue and not .NET although I could be mistaken. The reason why Nexus Mod Manager will work for you is it forces you to run it as administrator, which places a huge band-aid on the permissions problem. Most likely if you ran Mod Organizer as administrator, you wouldn't have any trouble with the installation. This, however, we do NOT recommend, as it can become a security issue. I believe that NCC extracts its files to %localappdata%/temp (copy-paste into Windows Explorer), so I can only guess that it is there that the permissions issue lies, although sometimes it finds more eccentric hiding places.

try the NCC downgrade but I am positive that it was for a pretty old version

to reverse it download the mo archive and drag n drop everything

like an update

I have never seen this... So, maybe someone else will pop in...

tannin may have a much better answer

Edited by hishutup

Are you getting this any other files or just this one?

If it is just this one you can extract the archive and create a folder in the mods directory and put the ESP and BSA from SkyUI in there.

You can extract above and use 7zip or winrar to repackage and try that.

You can also delete the fomod folder and do a manual install from the MO downloads.

I doubt the NCC downgrade will help and probably should not be done past the version it was meant to fix.

If you do not have the most current version of MO install that and if you do, download the manual archive and overwrite your files. Something may have gone wrong with your current install.

thanks a lot to everyone who tried to help

the only thing that worked was extracting the archive content, deleting the "fomod" folder and repackaging the archive,

so the problem seems an incompatibility with that "fomod" folder (no thanks to the seemingly totally unrelated error message), and more specifically with the "script.cs" file

after several test with mod containing "fomod" folder, all the one having a "script.cs" file are causing me the same error.

all mods with "fomod" folder but without a "script.cs" file are installed without error.

these "script.cs seems to be C# script ?

do I need some special requirement on my system to execute them ?

any way I can test executing them outside of MO to find out if something is broken on my system ?

Edited by permidion

This is a well documented shortfall of MO at the moment. All fomods that use C# as the install script fail as there isn't currently a working installer plugin for MO.

The workaround is as you have done, remove the fomod folder and install manually. In my opinion this is preferable to the method sometimes proffered here in S.T.E.P. of invoking FOMM from within MO to handle these types of mods. As you no doubt can see, you have gained knowledge of the workings of this mod, and also other mods like it, because you had to manually work with them. This is better than adding another level of abstraction between the player and the mod. IMO.

Having said that, the errorcodes you are seeing are, I believe, not related to fomods.

thank you for the clarification!well, I was thinking that these scripts are not there for nothing and may be important for the mod installation, but if you say I can simply discard them without any worries, then what are they really for ?

Those scripts are there so the user, if they are using FOMM, can install the mod with any options the author provides.

Mod Organizer at the moment lacks a good plugin to handle that particular type of script, hence the failure.

As far as the actual mod is concerned, that fomod folder and all it contains mean nothing. The game engine never sees it and knows nothing of its existence. 

At one stage you could choose between FOMM, Wrye Bash, NMM and a few minor tools to install mods in all sorts of games. Mod Organizer is a recent, but superior, addition to that bunch of tools. Despite it not yet having a C# installer script plugin, it is head and shoulders above all the rest.

This is false Information, MO DOES have an installer plugin for C# scripted fomods. That's what NCC is for!

Since the problem affects all scripted installers, it's probably a permission problem or you (or your antivirus) broke the NCC installation or your .net installation is broken.

This same error was a known problem for FOMM (on which  NMM is based on which NCC is based): https://sourceforge.net/p/fomm/discussion/999686/thread/35b4171a/

so maybe the reply from karbuke there can help you.

• +1 1

While technically that is true, there is a C# installer, I have never been able to get it to correctly work, hence my assertion that we should look at the situation as though there isn't one.

I will refrain from offering this advice any further if you wish.

Edit:

Just to get my facts clear on this I went to my MO installs and re-checked how the c# fomod installer fairs.

Looked for a few mods with C# installers in my downloads folders to test them again. Apart from a couple of quirky messages, like asking for 'archive invalidation to be activated' they seemed to install just fine.

So as of now I will keep my mouth shut. :O_o:  :blush:

I guess I will now have to revise my installation recommendations from now on.

Has the NCC plugin been updated in the last few releases? I didn't think so. I'll put it down to my error.

Edited by GrantSP

This is false Information, MO DOES have an installer plugin for C# scripted fomods. That's what NCC is for!

Since the problem affects all scripted installers, it's probably a permission problem or you (or your antivirus) broke the NCC installation or your .net installation is broken.

This same error was a known problem for FOMM (on which  NMM is based on which NCC is based): https://sourceforge.net/p/fomm/discussion/999686/thread/35b4171a/

so maybe the reply from karbuke there can help you.

well. I find strange that the only problems I have with .NET would be exactly that peculiar piece of MO handling C# scripts, but let say I have a problem with my .NET,

is there any way to debug the error message I get to find out exactly the problem? 

Is NCC trying to unpack the archive somewhere to be able to execute the C# script? if yes, were would that be?