Mod Organizer FOSE installing with FO3 GOTY

sutex

Question

I can see no instruction to install FOSE , with Fallout 3 when using MO.

Do I just drop FOSE into the GOTY folder, given the scripts ?

There was a suggestion by Youtube video , about MO not do to this, but it focus is Skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKhdiJYBqo

Very new to MO , Have run mods and managers before , but using MO for first time .

Have a CLEAN  installl of the game  DATA folder backup, have saves so using those mods , for my new MO install

WHAT I HAVE

Steam Fallout 3 GOTY .... Patched with Updated FALLOUT patch latest

FOMM fork .... Installed to default , MO points to it  exe, works

FO3Edit_3_0_31_EXPERIMENTAL-637-3-0-31 ... Installed into own Folder (FO3edit) inside of Fallout3 GOTY

A side note, with FO3edit , still a bit confused do I check or uncheck backups.  When I first ran FO3edit, I closed it after opening. A box popped up saying there was a problem in Overwrite. I removed the FO3editbackup it was refering too. Correct ? as all I have at the moment is the DEFLAUT esm plus the Updated Patch Overwrite is emtpy in MO , I have no mods installed, as yet.

Edited by sutex

@DoubleYou

Your on the ball yet again! Well done. I stupidly forgot to check if the default INIs I was using actually were 'Default'. They weren't, they were from my 'Default' profile but I had forgotten that I had made changes to the [fontS] section for the DarnUI.

Later I had changed to having those changes in an INITweak assigned to that mod only, so that removing it would revert the fonts to vanilla.

Sure enough this stupid mistake on my part meant my game was crashing because those fonts weren't there.

So I better head over to the Bug Genie and confess my error to the master of all things MO!

/*hiding head in hands and skulking away.*/

Not sure if this helps, I have Fallout 3 GOTY on steam but on first launch of mod organizer if I choose goty it crashes after the fose windows closes. If I reinstall and change to normal fallout 3 it works just fine, even with all the dlc.

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for helping me solve my trouble.

First the OP, Sutex, for coming back everytime he said he was giving up, thanks !

But especially the mods and people who relentlessly came here to help a sometimes snapish OP.

I had the same problem, FOSE starting fine outside of MO.

For the record, I'm not too sure of what I did, but in my case it seems that I had some BSAs in Archives that, unchecked, caused the problem.

They were MenuVoices.bsa, Meshes.bsa, Misc, Sounds and Textures and Voices.bsa.

Thanks Internet people!

Weird timing, but I also had the exact same problem mentioned and fixed it the way Jarod mentioned.  Details were:

1) FO3 could be launched outside of MO with and without FOSE.

2) FO3 would crash when launched directly from MO, and FOSE would finish launching but subsequently FO3 would be stuck permanently at a black screen prior to any loading image.

3) Once all of Jarod's listed BSAs were checked in the Archives tab, MO could launch FOSE normally.

I re-read the STEP instructions and couldn't find anything mentioning a need to tick those BSAs to be managed by MO.  Did I miss something, or is that normally not needed or desired?

This section: 

Bethesda Software Archives (BSA) can be used to store mod files in an attempt to reduce file sizes. The added benefit is the reducing in file system fragmentation caused by having many loose, small files. The main problem with BSAs is, if there are loose files that need to be overwritten by a mod that is packaged in a BSA, then the BSA must be extracted. This is due to loose files always 'winning' when the game loads the "Data" folder. Enter Mod Organizer. Using the 'Hide' feature of MO, it is easy to remove the loose file without much extra work from the user. This means that BSAs would only need to be extracted if the textures in the BSA need to be optimized.

The recommendation for extracting BSAs using Mod Organizer 1.3.x is that the vanilla Fallout 3 BSAs and the BSA in the Updated Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch be left unextracted. Extracting other mod BSAs is optional; some users prefer to extract all of these while others prefer to leave the BSAs alone.

As part of the process in the last subsection the BSA extractor plugin in MO should be enabled; make sure this is true.

To view files the list of files in a BSA go to the Archives tab on the right MO pane and tick the checkbox for every BSA and any mod that overwrites a file will have an icon next to it on the left pane. If the BSA's file is the preferred file then just hide the file from the mod that overwrites it. Greyed out BSAs will be checked no matter what due to their plugin requiring that BSA to load, but it can still be extracted.

The other option is to just extract all the BSAs from mods and put everything in the correct order in the left pane. Some people say one way is correct and some say the other is correct. If the advice is all or nothing, it is best to ignore it. Life is not black and white, it is gray. Extract when necessary. A good rule of thumb is to extract smaller BSAs and leave larger ones unextracted. Leave the Bethesda Fallout and DLC BSAs and any UPDATED Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch BSAs unextracted. It is also recommendation that the DCInteriors Project BSA be left unextracted. If Mod Organizer 1.2.8 is used this set of unextracted BSAs is likely as many as can be safely left unextracted with MO 1.2.8. There is no such limitation with the more recdent Mod Organizer 1.3.x.

The above text doesn't appear to reference whether having MO manage the default FO3 BSAs is necessary.  It references extracting vs. not extracting, but not managing, perhaps?

Edited by tekkitekki

I realize this is a necro, but I believe I found the solution.  I was having this exact same problem both with the Steam version and the DVD version. Eventually, I discovered that BitDefender was crashing MO every time MO launched FOSE. Disabling BitDefender's file monitoring allowed MO to launch FOSE which then launched Fallout 3.