Mod Organizer FOSE installing with FO3 GOTY

sutex

Question

I can see no instruction to install FOSE , with Fallout 3 when using MO.

Do I just drop FOSE into the GOTY folder, given the scripts ?

There was a suggestion by Youtube video , about MO not do to this, but it focus is Skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKhdiJYBqo

Very new to MO , Have run mods and managers before , but using MO for first time .

Have a CLEAN  installl of the game  DATA folder backup, have saves so using those mods , for my new MO install

WHAT I HAVE

Steam Fallout 3 GOTY .... Patched with Updated FALLOUT patch latest

FOMM fork .... Installed to default , MO points to it  exe, works

FO3Edit_3_0_31_EXPERIMENTAL-637-3-0-31 ... Installed into own Folder (FO3edit) inside of Fallout3 GOTY

A side note, with FO3edit , still a bit confused do I check or uncheck backups.  When I first ran FO3edit, I closed it after opening. A box popped up saying there was a problem in Overwrite. I removed the FO3editbackup it was refering too. Correct ? as all I have at the moment is the DEFLAUT esm plus the Updated Patch Overwrite is emtpy in MO , I have no mods installed, as yet.

Edited by sutex

MY DVD is non-Steam version, I uninstalled FO3GOTY and shut shut down steam to avoid any conflicts. When MO started I had a choice to select the Regular or GOTY version. The game ran without Steam and accessed the DVD for authentication check. Launching FOSE from MO or the game directory did not start Steam.

So setting the load Mechanism to script Extender and running fose_loader.exe did not work? What did it do?

Sorry for being a pest about this, just trying to expand the knowledge base.

Nothing just what Ive been saying , the two guides I followed are the steam one, on Nexus , and the MO one.  If clicking on fose in Mo not happening then its not hooking or staying in memory long enough same thing, , this my limited knowledge , given what's not happing  , the fact the logs are different to normal ones should point to a clue , I draw your attention to above post where the tutorial is mentioned..why is this so  :) ?

I can't see that this has been mentioned before but can you actually start a NON-FOSE game from within MO?

You mention MO recognizes the fose_loader and configures the run button and that the fose installed game runs from outside MO but can you verify that it actually runs from MO without fose.

If we can eliminate as many variables as possible then your problematic setup may be solved.

Just to reiterate, although you don't actually use Steam to provide overlays, if your game is a Steam version there will be a small amount of code from Steam that will need to hook into the game, as has been mentioned above. I mention this because you seem to have dismissed this as a possibility for the problem.

No overlays  unchecked , don't use steam to play FO3. 

MO runs the FO3 launcher when it appears, Play will not work, unless I  re-start the FO3 launcher as soon as it appears, via taskmanger then Play works , game starts so ini files are there.

MO will run FO3.exe  the game starts, but not FOSE from MO

Ok, you keep mentioning the Fallout Launcher, may I ask why are you invoking that as the method to start Fallout 3? I may come across here as condescending, I'm not, I just want to make sure you and I are on the same page.

In the MO executable drop-down box there should be three ways to start the game. In order, at least in my setup, they are:

• FOSE                       = the FOSE loader [fose_loader.exe]
  • Fallout 3                  = the actual game executable [Fallout3.exe]
  • Fallout Launcher       = the graphic window with 'Play', 'Options', 'Data Files', 'Tech Support' & 'Exit' [FalloutLauncher.exe]

If options 1 or 3 are selected both of those processes will only show in the list of running processes up to the point that they pass over to the actual game executable. Looking at that list and NOT seeing fose_loader.exe is not the same as FOSE not loading.

Additionally, if you invoke the game via MO using the third option (FalloutLauncher) it will not start FOSE.

The prefered method is to use 1 to start a game with FOSE running or 2 without it running.

So via MO the only way to verify the game is running with FOSE is to start a game and see it do some FOSE stuff there will be no indicator in the running processes as fose_1_7.dll will be called from the game code if that code is started with the fose_loader.

As you use the phrase "fallout launcher" I just want to clear up which executable you are running.

Edited by GrantSP

No need to respond in that manner, I did read all the posts and my question is phrased in that way because your comments didn't make it clear you knew that.

Clearly there is something about your setup that hasn't been made clear to us yet, based on what you have proffered so far.

There is no reason, based on what is described, for FOSE not starting from MO. Many users have set it up to do so and it works.

So to help you and expand the knowledge base it would be helpful if you could provide as much diagnostic material as possible.

If you could post your logs, both from inside and outside MO; fose.log, fose_loader.log, mo_interface.log, ModOrganizer.log & ModOrganizer_<date>.log

It is safe to delete all the existing logs and let the executables create fresh ones.

• +1 1

I need a break from this, Fallout 3 and the karma it brings,:) thought going the MO way would make it easier in the long term , given using FOMM with my vast array of mods & saves, was trial & error , and thus any error would now be in my data folder, the hunt for leftovers ,not fun

Which bring me to now, My setup is ready, mods, a clean install, but going back to FOMM and working out install order & then load order given what of know of the mods I use , doesn't inspire me at all.  I can wait. I assume given this problem with FOSE is uncommon but not unheard off , its a Windows system fault , which means there nothing you can do. Having said all of that, as for my tone, it was short & sadly in line with my failing patience with this game too, but  I will dig up the logs and post , shortly...................

Don't panic have fun instead

Sorry to say it but from what those logs indicate, FOSE is installed and running.

Any issues you have with the game not starting from MO correctly don't appear to be related to FOSE, as far as I can tell.

Barring the differences with file locations, your logs look the same as mine, whether from inside or outside MO.

Have you done anything else to your installation? Running an ENB? Patched the code to access 4Gb? Any other patchers that you may have run?

Lastly I suggest you add these logs to the report you filed in the Bug Genie, that way Tannin will definitely see them.

Sorry, that's all I got.

As GrantSP said FOSE appears to be running and I came to the same conclusion when I looked at the log. A couple of things I noticed suggest that the left pane Non-Mo mods are in the wrong order. They should follow the Boss / LOOT ESP load order.

You are also missing some lines that I have, which would suggest that you do not have the BSAs from the Anchorage, ThePitt, BrokenSteel. Pointlookput and Zeta checked in the Archives tab.

Y

As GrantSP said FOSE appears to be running and I came to the same conclusion when I looked at the log. A couple of things I noticed suggest that the left pane Non-Mo mods are in the wrong order. They should follow the Boss / LOOT ESP load order.

You are also missing some lines that I have, which would suggest that you do not have the BSAs from the Anchorage, ThePitt, BrokenSteel. Pointlookput and Zeta checked in the Archives tab.

Checked that , still when running FOSE from MO,  F03 won't  launch , its a hooking problem , FO3.exe just doesn't appear in process

so game wont start