Mythic Dawn: Gateway to Oblivion WIP

hishutup

Hmm its being awhile since I payed attention to this monster...

Hey hishutup, thanks for this great guide. Finished setting up my modded Oblivion today and played for 3 hours straight: Works like a charm. There's one weird issue though. Every time I start the game it tries to detect my hardware and set the video options accordingly i.e. it acts as if my oblivion.ini does not exist. Since my ini file is set to read-only that's not really a problem and my game remains unchanged. Any idea why this could be happening? 

PS: Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it started happening after running TES4Edit and TES4ll. 

Its fine.

Yes, it is annoying and if you want to get rid of it then just drag your inis out of the folder and let it regen them. After that just copy them back over and it should leave you alone.

If you can, I want you to give me updates as you play through it.

Just create a new topic and you can have it all to yourself.

I want this because I want to know of any issues, things that are annoying, etc.

Really anything that you can think of, any info is appreciated.

just keep it spoiler free because I have not played it myself. If you must reveal a spoiler then just place it in a spoiler tag like such:

[spoiler=This is a real spoiler]

[spoiler='This is a real spoiler']
Text
[/spoiler]

The guide seems awesome my friend. Definitely going to be looking into it and seeing what I can do to help if I can think of something. One day I'd like to do an Oblivion playthrough (will be a while lol) but i'll be utilizing your time and knowledge spent on the guide. 

The guide seems awesome my friend. Definitely going to be looking into it and seeing what I can do to help if I can think of something. One day I'd like to do an Oblivion playthrough (will be a while lol) but i'll be utilizing your time and knowledge spent on the guide. 

Thank you, its been awhile since I have done anything major to the guide...

I need to go through an finish my edits likely next weekend but there is sooooo much.

I dislike what I did with the normal instructions... so I'll go through that a different day

I added and removed a few things... 

I made an incompatibles section so that mods that were removed can be tracked.

the whole ococccm thing, I'll do but it just takes forever.

Things take time = ) Still loving the guide and I'm sure you'll sort out everything that you are working on. I'm going to work on just generic videos currently as to be honest I've gotten severely depressed and keeping myself motivated and learning new things has been pretty hard. Though... forward I move = ) Still looking forward to see how this guide comes out. My introductory game to the Elder Scrolls. You shall do us proud = )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, hishutup.

First off, great guide, it has inspired me to pick up Oblivion again when I find the time. I was wondering whether you've considered any of Giskard's mods (would probably go under "Unique Locations and Adventures") such as The Origin of the Mages Guild and Kvatch Rising (and some mod allowing you to join the elder council which was adopted by another modding team). I realize they might not be well known, since Giskard had a falling out with both Nexus and Arthmoor, so he kind of withdrew from the go-to sites, but he's still a very talented modder with a lot of unique ideas. All of his mods can be found on his own website https://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/forums/, but some of his Oblivion mods are available on filefront. I never got the chance to play all the way through them myself, but they seemed very interesting, and were very popular for a time.

If this has been taken up before, I apologize. Kudos for all your hard work nevertheless.

~Mono

EDIT: Bah, I've not been active in this forum for a long time, and immediately after making this post I stumbled upon your thread on how to make suggestions. Yet, I haven't really played all the way through the mods and can't really vouch for them in any way (I've had them installed and played through some parts, but that was a long time ago), and I'd still appreciate a reply on whether you are familiar with them before taking any further steps. Sorry if I messed up.

Edited by MonoAccipiter

I'd be willing to make some mod threads if I actually get around to start looking at stuff again, but I can't say how long that will take. I can see the benefits of having them, there's just the fact that there's so many mods (perhaps I could make a thread for all of them, with your blessing?).

As for compatibility, that case has two sides. On one hand Giskard was always very adamant about his mods not touching anything else than what he was intending to change (such as Kvatch in his two mods restoring it), and attentive to people wanting to have other mods. However he was also of the opinion that solving conflicts through such things as cleaning (which I believe started his conflict with Arthmoor) and load order was trying to make the game work where it shouldn't, so he never produced any amount of patches AFAIK. However most of his mods touch things few other mods deal with (the mages guild, the elder council, kvatch) and he mostly adds spaces instead of editing them IIRC. Hopefully I'll be able to invest some time into this in the near future, as I feel it's unfair to put the workload that is troubleshooting these great, but huge mods all alone.

~Mono

when it comes to mod suggestions on other sites than the nexus its probably going to be helpful.

Just create a new topic in the Mods subforum for each mod. If you make any sort of mistakes then I'll get an smod to fix it, no biggie. There are plenty of examples around.

In the title put the actual mod name and the author in parenthesis.

start off with the title again(with a link) and a short description and more/less why its a good mod and people should use it.

just to jump ahead a little, I think the kvatch one is going to have a compatibility issue because of kvatch rebuilt

Yes, it does the exact same thing as Kvatch Rebuilt, although with a different approach. Whether one or the other is better, I cannot say, but I believe Kvatch Rising was Giskard's attempt at a more lore friendly mod (i.e. no arena). I quote:

Kvatch Aftermath is older, and more similar to Kvatch Rising, but I've seen that Kvatch Rising has been update more recently than any of Giskard's mods. Hence it's probably the one to go for when choosing between those two. I'm not really looking for anything else than to raise some awareness about these mods which have fallen somewhat of the radar.

On the mod pages: I'm going to find it difficult to do anything else than recommend people to take a look, as I have no idea how the mods are in comparison to the state of everything else, but I know they were fairly popular and appreciated previously. That's why I'm hesitant to making them, as I can't really say whether I think it's a good mod, as much as whether I think it looks like a good mod.

~Mono

I'm inclined to agree, the persuasion mini-game seems very tedious and pointless and doesn't really simulate persuasion the way the lockpicking mini-game simulates, well, picking locks. In addition it becomes really easy after a while. The second link you put up looks much more like something I'd like, similar to the way Bioware does persuasion in their games (and Obsidian with F:NV). I choosing between the two offered, I'd definitely opt for the latter, as the first simply seems to cut away the feature, with the Persuasion Overhaul actually making it into something interesting.

I know I haven't worked on the guide in a few weeks but is there anything that you believe is missing or there is a lack of?

Does anyone see any issues?

I was planning on adding Enhanced Economy and one of the persuasion overhauls

I was also going to add the instructions on removing that one UL mod and Vacuity