STEP v2.2.9 Official Bug Reports

EssArrBee

Here - see point 1 in the 3rd paragraph. 

That is referring to the default game INIs...not mod included INIs.

For 'Better Males', there are a ton of options that you can use, such as 'bodybuilder version, no hair version, less veiny version, etc' as well as a smooth version for the faces file. If no optionals are to be used, it needs to be more clear. You should just put 'Do Not Use Any Options' or 'Use all Default Options'. :-)

It's perfectly clear. When optional files are to be installed, then don't we state to install those options? Yes, we do. If no optional files are to be installed, then we only state the files to install. It's common sense, not rocket science. :geek: If something isn't listed then don't install it if your aim is a strict STEP install. That's not to say that you couldn't install some optional files if you wanted to and you're not aiming for a strict STEP install.

I'm guessing having both the entry in the INI and USKP's snippet won't actually do anything bad, but it does seem to be an unnecessary part of the guide now at least.

You're guessing correctly. It's not going to hurt anything with them being present in both places.

Any changes made to the INIs before MO installation (in 1.C) should be automatically added to the MO INI files. Therefore, your AA changes as well as all other INI changes should already be present in MO...if you're following the Guide and installed MO after the Launcher settings.

My concern was with keeping the vanilla install as vanilla as possible, which seems to be part of the main point of using MO. With that reasoning it would seem to me to make more sense to leave the auto-preset the launcher chooses completely alone, but have the AA change be one of the first things changed when making the STEP profile in MO. But if you are recommending to not ever use more than 4x AA ever, then it might make more sense to change it first, but in that case some of the other changes might make sense to make in the launcher in 1.B. as well, for things considered to be truly fixes rather than tweaks and optimizations.

Emphasis mine:

Guys, i first installed STEP nearly 2 years ago. I'm glad that the guide is continuing to evolve and develop and i appreciate the incredible amount of work done by everyone here.

But, the guide needs a complete overhaul. Use Skyrim Revisited as a guideline. Instructions should be set out in a clear order which can be followed exactly by anyone, regardless of their level of understanding. Jumping from guide to guide, section to section is very confusing for a novice.

I think you have been skimming the guide. It is very little jumping. Did you notice the "Chapter heading layout" message? 

A Brief Note: Chapter Heading LayoutA link to more information related to the heading for users wishing to use a more meticulous route to installing STEP is provided right up front underneath the section heading:

Detailed Information --> Link 

Brief, quick-setup instructions follow for users wishing to blow through the guide afap ... that's it!

All necessary information is present right on the guide, the detailed mod instructions, and only three templated instruction references (LOOT meta rule instructions, TES5Edit cleaning, and MO mod Filetree manipulation).

I think the concern here is that a novice will not be able to get by without the detailed instructions linked from the main guide, which can add up to a lot of jumping.

I think it is good to have a main guide with the fast-instructions and the extra details on other pages so the novices can still easily get to the needed information while still keeping the main page uncluttered for people who have done STEP before and know the main ideas already but need the list to see to go through fast and be done with it. But I think there is a lot that can be done to make these secondary pages much more clear for those novices.

For example right in 1.A. if you're starting from a cluttered and awful skyrim install and using this to start over "correctly", you will need to revert to vanilla first. The Skyrim Installation Guide linked in this way from the main guide still sends you to yet another page in the Troubleshooting guide before it even tells you how to do this. That is a second depth-layer away from the main guide. Additionally, when on the Skyrim Installation Guide, it is not clear exactly when 1.A. has been completed. It starts talking about a lot of other things, which, while useful and important, are not part of completing 1.A. of the guide. In fact, the Troubleshooting Guide tab on reverting to vanilla already tells you to run the launcher which as near as I can tell is all 1.B. is even for. And it seems likely a lot of users using STEP for the first time, would be because they're coming from a very broken setup and need to start over.

It should also be made much more clear what is and isn't part of the official guide. For example, I had a question on the release announcement thread about when in the process to use ddsopt, and was answered that it wasn't really part of STEP. My previous impression had been that the main point of 2.2.9 was to nail down better what is and isn't part of STEP:Extended, and that the things marked in green were STEP:Core, and everything else should be assumed part of STEP:Extended. While in the specific case of DDSopt it was at that time added to the mod page that it is not officially part of STEP, it seems it should also be notated differently in the chart from the STEP:Extended mods. What other things listed in the main guide are not actually part of STEP at all?

Hi. Thanks for the great guide. Things are really shaping up. Just noticed a few little things in the Meta Rule Instructions for some of the things in the guide:

Audio Overhaul for Skyrim:

Wet and Cold.esp should be WetandCold.esp

Realistic Water 2:

BirdsHFCleaned.esp should be BirdsHFclean.esp

HearthfireChimnenys.esp should be HearthfireChimneys.esp

Cheers.

Hi. Thanks for the great guide. Things are really shaping up. Just noticed a few little things in the Meta Rule Instructions for some of the things in the guide:

Audio Overhaul for Skyrim:

Wet and Cold.esp should be WetandCold.esp

Realistic Water 2:

BirdsHFCleaned.esp should be BirdsHFclean.esp

HearthfireChimnenys.esp should be HearthfireChimneys.esp

Cheers.

Thanks. Fixed.

In the instructions for the Enhanced Blood Textures mod, it says to install the main file, as well as the patch for the relevant DLC.  However, later on, the instructions for the STEP Extended Patches say not to download or install the following file: dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp.  That file is installed with the aforementioned patch for the relevant DLC...  

So, do we download and install that patch, or do we skip it?

Skip it if using the STEP Patches. Otherwise, install it.

This is the answer I expected.  Thanks!

If you are using the Extended Patch, skip it. If not, then you'll need the patch. I've updated the instructions to be a little more clear.

Awesome!  That's why I posted; in hopes of having the instructions updated to avoid future confusion!  ::):

Thanks, guys.

USKP lists Distant Decal Fix as one of the mods that it makes obsolete here. It's a pretty old post, but it's the one linked from the USKP nexus page. Should Distant Decal Fix be removed from STEP and should I uncheck/uninstall it in MO?

(Forgive me if this is something that has been brought up before. I'm new around here)

USKP lists Distant Decal Fix as one of the mods that it makes obsolete here. It's a pretty old post, but it's the one linked from the USKP nexus page. Should Distant Decal Fix be removed from STEP and should I uncheck/uninstall it in MO?

(Forgive me if this is something that has been brought up before. I'm new around here)

:wallbash: This is the third time I've answered this just today today...but you are forgiven. Search the forum next time, though. Distant Decal Fix is not redundant. There are in-fact, 20 files that the USKP doesn't cover which can be seen in the conflicts tab of MO.