STEP v2.2.9 Official Bug Reports

EssArrBee

Guys, i first installed STEP nearly 2 years ago. I'm glad that the guide is continuing to evolve and develop and i appreciate the incredible amount of work done by everyone here.

But, the guide needs a complete overhaul. Use Skyrim Revisited as a guideline. Instructions should be set out in a clear order which can be followed exactly by anyone, regardless of their level of understanding. Jumping from guide to guide, section to section is very confusing for a novice.

• +1 1

Dual Sheath Redux - I just noticed that by having this mod at the end of the mod list, it has a number of meshes that overwrite the Skyrim Weapon De-LARP-ification Project DSR Patch meshes.  The instructions make it sound like each DSR patch should be placed right after its associated mod in the mod list.  By doing so, the main DSR mod (being at the bottom of the mod list) is overwriting the Skyrim Weapon De-LARP-ification Project DSR patch files.  I think the detailed instructions for DSR should be clearer.

EDIT:  I'm guessing all the DSR patches should instead be at the very bottom of the mod list, after the main DSR mod.  In that case, the instructions should say that the each DSR patch needs to be not only listed after its associated mod, but also after the main DSR mod itself.  Some kind of wording like that would be clearer.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Guys, i first installed STEP nearly 2 years ago. I'm glad that the guide is continuing to evolve and develop and i appreciate the incredible amount of work done by everyone here. But, the guide needs a complete overhaul. Use Skyrim Revisited as a guideline. Instructions should be set out in a clear order which can be followed exactly by anyone, regardless of their level of understanding. Jumping from guide to guide, section to section is very confusing for a novice.

I think you have been skimming the guide. It is very little jumping. Did you notice the "Chapter heading layout" message? 

A Brief Note: Chapter Heading LayoutA link to more information related to the heading for users wishing to use a more meticulous route to installing STEP is provided right up front underneath the section heading:

Detailed Information --> Link 

Brief, quick-setup instructions follow for users wishing to blow through the guide afap ... that's it!

All necessary information is present right on the guide, the detailed mod instructions, and only three templated instruction references (LOOT meta rule instructions, TES5Edit cleaning, and MO mod Filetree manipulation).

Deadly Spell Impacts - depending on option chosen in fomod, I remember there's an option to have different types of fire spells create different types of spell impacts.  this part of the fomod is broken, and manual tinkering is required in order to correct the fomod's error.  I have seen many people run into issues related to this broken option in the fomod.  I think it is valuable to have a detailed instructions link for this mod regarding this due to that.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

MCM Recommendations given in detailed instructions: I think it would serve nicely to have (in addition to MCM settings being given in each mod's page) a link to a list at the end of the whole STEP guide that takes all of the MCM configuration recommendations for all included mods and lists them all together.

The reason this is important is because of the way the MCM configurations are made.  You make them basically at the start of a new game, all at once.  This is every time you start a new game.  When you install the mods in the step guide, you are not configuring MCM at that time.  You aren't even in the game.  Because of this, they should all be given together in one list that can be easily referred to when the moment arises when you are in the game.

It is hard to find the information, because not all of the mods that are in the MCM in-game have recommendations in STEP.  So if you are playing the game and going down the list of mods in the MCM in-game, you have to scroll down through the STEP guide and to locate mods from the in-game MCM list and then click on the detailed instructions links next to each one to see if there are MCM recommendations.  It's pretty tedious when actually in practice.  Perhaps what might help would be to place a small symbol next to the name of the mod to show that it has a MCM recommendation for it.  That would help.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

The version you want for CORE is the non-Dawnguard version. If you're following the STEP guide to the letter. The non Dawnguard one doesn't have the handle because the handle version uses assets (from Auriel's Bow) from the Dawnguard DLC to create the look. I'll update the mod page. EXTENDED uses the Dawnguard version.

Yeah, I decided that as I am re-installing to version 2.2.9 from 2.2.8, that I will make a point to mention everything I notice.  :)

Better Weapon Swing Sounds - What is the deal with the dummy "BWS.esp" in the plugins list?  Perhaps there should be a note for the mod to say to make sure that "BWS.bsa" is enabled in the Archives tab of MO so that "BWS.esp" can be disabled.

Clothing and Clutter Fixes

Baseline should say "Clothing and Clutter Fixes - LEGENDARY"

Fixed. (Someone did it without posting they fixed it.)

XP32 Maximum Skeleton - detailed instructions are missing the last part of the FOMOD installation instructions where it asks to install the back hip dagger equip animation as well as the extra options.

Fixed.

Ruins Clutter Improved - Notes mention version 2.7, but version 2.8 is out now.

EDIT: Might want to check into possibly using the custom option instead of "install everything" in the installer to get subliminal traps option.  I don't think you get that if you don't do it custom.

Fixed. We do not want the optional file to be installed.

With regards to the Visible Windows mod recommendations...

"STEP recommends the "Gritty" option for all windows and the "Default" for all color options but "Yellow Tint" for both Solitude and Whiterun."

All well and good, but unless you have paid a great deal of attention to these in game (which, honestly, I haven't), you have no way of knowing which windows belong to which city, since the Installer doesn't make that clear in any fashion. Just pictures. Up close pictures of the windows. Not enough background elements for me to figure out which go with which. Is there any way we might be able to clarify this at all?

Not sure where your confusion is. The FOMOD has the names of the towns for each selection. :O_o:

aMidianBorn Whiterun - detailed instructions has a bunch of files removed from the installation, but I noticed that "wrcitywall01_p.dds" is not removed.  Is this intended?  I am skeptical about this, only because when such files get removed, they usually get removed in sets, and the other 2 files with "wrcitywall01" in the filename were mentioned.

I don't even have that file in my file tree... :O_o:

Elemental Staffs - just got an update today, so the instructions in the mod notes should be modified.

Fixed.

Dual Sheath Redux - I just noticed that by having this mod at the end of the mod list, it has a number of meshes that overwrite the Skyrim Weapon De-LARP-ification Project DSR Patch meshes.  The instructions make it sound like each DSR patch should be placed right after its associated mod in the mod list.  By doing so, the main DSR mod (being at the bottom of the mod list) is overwriting the Skyrim Weapon De-LARP-ification Project DSR patch files.  I think the detailed instructions for DSR should be clearer.

EDIT:  I'm guessing all the DSR patches should instead be at the very bottom of the mod list, after the main DSR mod.  In that case, the instructions should say that the each DSR patch needs to be not only listed after its associated mod, but also after the main DSR mod itself.  Some kind of wording like that would be clearer.

I'll let someone else handle this one.

Burn Freeze Shock Effects - mod note still refers to using the Skyrim Memory Patch 3.0.  Obsolete note, since the newest version of SKSE handles this issue.

Fixed.

Deadly Spell Impacts - depending on option chosen in fomod, I remember there's an option to have different types of fire spells create different types of spell impacts.  this part of the fomod is broken, and manual tinkering is required in order to correct the fomod's error.  I have seen many people run into issues related to this broken option in the fomod.  I think it is valuable to have a detailed instructions link for this mod regarding this due to that.

Fixed. Added FOMOD instructions. Following the STEP FOMOD recommendation should result in no issues.