Mod Organizer Lovers & Haters of BSA Extraction

z929669

Neverminding that it's an absolutely false assertion and not even qualified as a placebo to later problems.

BSAs should be assumed "problem free". Otherwise, pandemonium.

Z... what does that even mean, other than "just tell them that it's OK: it'll keep the noise to a minimum." That's what you mean by it, right?

Otherwise it just doesn't parse, because BSA is simply a container for assets, like a toy box. Are we also going to impart some mysticism to what a BSA really is, and what it really means for the game assets to be boxed up versus laid out? Come, now...

Neverminding that it's an absolutely false assertion and not even qualified as a placebo to later problems.

Z... what does that even mean, other than "just tell them that it's OK: it'll keep the noise to a minimum." That's what you mean by it, right?

Otherwise it just doesn't parse, because BSA is simply a container for assets, like a toy box. Are we also going to impart some mysticism to what a BSA really is, and what it really means for the game assets to be boxed up versus laid out? Come, now...

There is a very large discussion here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5033-ramifications-of-bsa-extraction-in-mod-organizer/

Please read and be informed from the results of that discussion so we're not repeating ourselves in multiple threads. Everything you want to know is there if you take the time to read it. :thumbsup:

There is a very large discussion here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5033-ramifications-of-bsa-extraction-in-mod-organizer/

Please read and be informed from the results of that discussion so we're not repeating ourselves in multiple threads. Everything you want to know is there if you take the time to read it. :thumbsup:

I've read it. Please don't take that tone with me. :)

I've read it. Please don't take that tone with me. :)

Posted Image  Posted Image

Joking aside, if I came off abrasive please forgive. But seriously, all that info is in there. STEP will not be recommending extracting BSAs unless assets need to be hidden and currently there are no assets in STEP fitting that criteria. All assets which have instructions to hide files come in loose form. This currently causes no issues in the Testing environments.

Posted Image  Posted Image

Joking aside, if I came off abrasive please forgive. But seriously, all that info is in there. STEP will not be recommending extracting BSAs unless assets need to be hidden and currently there are no assets in STEP fitting that criteria. All assets which have instructions to hide files come in loose form. This currently causes no issues in the Testing environments.

I'm not asking for info, I'm airing a generic grievance.

That conversation you guys had about it all was a cluster of something, and that something is neither good information nor reason... with a few notable exceptions. Tannin impressed me. :)

BSAs is not a flawed concept. Indeed, if all mods were provided as BSAs, there would be hardly a need for Mod Organizer, because all mods would be natively separated into a simple BSA + Plugin. Conflicting files between BSAs being able to be overwritten via BSA order is the same genious concept that Tannin uses for separating mods into directories and prioritizing to enable correct conflict resolution. If you say that the concept of BSAs is flawed, you essentially consider the concept of Mod Organizer flawed as well.

Trust me, if we found a BSA to have issues (like Dance of Death), we would indeed instruct our users to fix it. Same reason we instruct to clean mods. No reason to extract all BSAs just because of a few bad apples. There are no bad BSAs in STEP, so no reason to extract unless using Wrye Bash or some other mod management utility beside Mod Organizer.

Also, this is an announcement thread to draw attention to an important thread that otherwise might have been missed by some. I'm pretty sure that it is meant to be locked as such. Direct all discussion to the relevant thread. Locking thread.

I'm not asking for info, I'm airing a generic grievance.That conversation you guys had about it all was a cluster of something, and that something is neither good information nor reason... with a few notable exceptions. Tannin impressed me. :)

The thread turned into a 'cluster', but it is a 'cluster' of highly useful information. What you bring to the table in this thread is all but useless and uninformed. Clearly you did not read through the info in that thread, nor did you read up on the objective of BSAs.BSAs used to be problematic in Oblivion, but that is no longer the case ... the rest of us have learned this and are disseminating that message via STEP procedure.Kindly take you 'tone' down a few notches.

Archived