Rustic Farmhouses by Gamwich

Kuldebar

There are other mods that overwrite this and that. It just needs to state "STEP" so we know if that is the case. Still needs vanilla.

I'm torn between Rustic and SRO on these. Rustic is mainly a slightly darker look than SRO. SRO used vanilla as a base so I'm sure Gamwich did the same. Rustic is darker and sharper than SRO. I feel that Rustic is a tad more realistic feeling. The darker appearance makes the building look more weather as wood buildings should be that don't have the sealants that today's wood has. Really need vanilla to compare against.

I did not like Rustic when I had them installed a while back. I even took screens to post along side the ones I already did in the AMB thread and didn't post them because they just look bad in game. My favorite with STEP is still AMB, Falkreath has never looked better than what Cabal did.

I'd say that AOF should have never dropped either since it is much higher quality than HRDLC and SRO (HRDLC+) maybe even more quality than AMB. The rock wall textures from HRDLC and SRO have this terrible shine to them with vanilla lighting too. Rustic, AOF, and AMB didn't have it to the same extent. I think the indoor textures were the problem with AMB, but it was two textures that can be hidden. I believe that SRO had good interior rock floors, but the ceiling was exactly like HRDLC. Not even sure that Rustic did those.

Pelts were in a couple mods too. AMB had the best if I remember correctly, the normal map was the difference there, gave the fur some depth.

Just so everyone knows there are also like three more farmhouse texture mods out there. Insanity Sorrow did one that is really nice, but I'd need to see it against vanilla to know how far it deviates.

Sorry, deleted the saves last night.  :confused:

Unlike Rustic Windows, neither ambFarm nor current STEP cover the textures/architecture/farmhouse folder in its entirety. It would only be overwritten, dependeing on it's placement, by High Definition Ivy and Realistic Mushrooms. I'm not saying I prefer RF btw, just making a note of it.

Also, you can clearly see the differences in the normals in the screen of the abandoned house in Morthal.

• +1 1

This is one of those mods that is going to require running around in-game for a while with different one activated to see how the look and blend in before deciding. The reason have yet to like CaBaL's textures for these in the shots, is because he seems to have taken a "nicer/newer" artist approach which is rather contrary to most of the Skyrim environment. His textures are good. I'm just not convinced they fit into the "rustic" (see what I did there ::):) environment.

I agree that Cabal's definitely look newer but, as a somewhat comparable argument, I don't see why Skyrim "must" look worn. Like with clothes and armor: every blacksmith, merchant, priest, etc wears horribly worn and dirty outfit. Why should it be so?

It doesn't actually and there are tons of mods out there that make Skyrim look new and shiny; however, in the spirit of keeping with the original concept of the game and its design, STEP tends to stay away from new and shiny by only enhancing the original concepts; not change them. Rustic and worn is a large part of such concepts.

I agree and I actually like rusty and worn, depending on the subject (like wood), very much. I also like that you choose your wording wisely my friend, saying "tends to stay away" - because I can think of a few mods in STEP that make Skyrim "new and shiny".  ::):

To me Cabal's textures don't look new as much as a bit more brown or dark. I think that fits the world better because of the damp climate. Anything where I live turns yellowish, almost white because we have no rain. If I go up to the cabin though everything is dark brown and has a saturated look because of the rain, snow, and humidity. Sometimes the pine even has a small touch of red. I'm telling you go to Flakreath in the rain with AMB.

Really? Wouldn't damp climite translate to more worn...?  Cabal's texture lack most wear and tear. Just look at those roofs! They look like they've never seen rainfall. :;): All that you all said says that Rustic should look the best (logically).

Edit: But yest, I do plan on taking these texture for a scroll. Might be a bit though. I do have a full-time job. ::P:

Will do. Haven't been to Falkreath since installing ETaC. Hmm.. don't remember if I chose custom textures.. Anyway, I voted for Cabal's months ago and while I like these, I'm not sure I like them better than his. The only things I've overwritten are the pelts (MysteryModders) and the thatch (Langley's atm, though I'll have to make a quick switch and see how RF's blend in). 

/snip. Insanity Sorrow did one that is really nice, but I'd need to see it against vanilla to know how far it deviates.

Link?

The jarls longhouses would probably be stained with something, maybe birch sap and some kind of lacquer. The inns would be the same too, but the houses of poorer people would be where the worn look would come in, but it would show are rot in a place that gets rain every few days. The would walls would almost have a grime on them to preserve the wood and protect it from water damage. Those old era buildings were built to last when you could take on a young boy to work 12 hour days for room and board.

Insanity Sorrow's mods are at TES Alliance: https://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/files/file/1093-insanitys-farmhouse-texture-replacer/

There are like ten pages of his mods there. It is really insane how much the guy does. I bet there are a bunch of mods he only posted to tesallicance.org that we could put in STEP.

I still like AMB of all of the compares despite no vanilla compare. Rustic Farmhouses is marginally better than SRO IMO but AMB has the distinction of looking like the house is built out of multiple logs instead of looking like the facade was all made out of the same exact piece of wood. For instance.

Posted Image

Needs more testing though as has been said.