Memory Blocks Log (by Sheson)

DoubleYou

Hmm... I don't agree with your method of stress testing your game, but that's another matter.

For comparison these are the last few entries of my MemoryBlocksLog in a typical game I have, which is a full STEP installation plus one or two additions.

195	108
196	108
218	108
218	109
218	110
218	111

This is with my skse.INI settings as this:

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

This means I could quite easily lower that to 512 and still see no issue. Which brings us back to a matter raised earlier: lower your initial figure and retry.

Are you absolutely sure that log is updating and it isn't a leftover from a previous install? Do you have your MemoryBlockLog.ini setup like this:

[NotPlacebo]
;Set to false when done determining size of memory blocks, so you can keep dll but not affect performance when playing normally
EnableLog=true

;Only write new data line to logfile when blocks grow. Last written values will be maximum
;If false it also write values to logfile when blocks shrink again
MaxOnly=true

;true=..\Skyrim\Data\skse\plugins\MemoryBlocksLog.log
;false=..\Skyrim\MemoryBlocksLog.log
DefaultLogLocation=true

;Track elapsed time in ms since start between writes to log
EnableTimer=false

Any other setting and your logs may not be created or they may be residing in another location to that you expect.

Lastly if your game can safely run, modded or not, with normal playing then this utility is not needed, all it does is log how memory is used, not improve its use.

Maybe it's in the wrong folder (it must be in skyrim\data\skse). Maybe it's a .ini.txt file instead of a .ini file. Maybe you need to have -forcesteamloader in the arguments for SKSE.

no its not that. If you look at previous posts you can see that I already went through that :thumbsup:

Hmm... I don't agree with your method of stress testing your game, but that's another matter.

For comparison these are the last few entries of my MemoryBlocksLog in a typical game I have, which is a full STEP installation plus one or two additions.

195	108
196	108
218	108
218	109
218	110
218	111

This is with my skse.INI settings as this:

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

This means I could quite easily lower that to 512 and still see no issue. Which brings us back to a matter raised earlier: lower your initial figure and retry.

Are you absolutely sure that log is updating and it isn't a leftover from a previous install? Do you have your MemoryBlockLog.ini setup like this:

[NotPlacebo]

;Set to false when done determining size of memory blocks, so you can keep dll but not affect performance when playing normally

EnableLog=true

;Only write new data line to logfile when blocks grow. Last written values will be maximum

;If false it also write values to logfile when blocks shrink again

MaxOnly=true

;true=..\Skyrim\Data\skse\plugins\MemoryBlocksLog.log

;false=..\Skyrim\MemoryBlocksLog.log

DefaultLogLocation=true

;Track elapsed time in ms since start between writes to log

EnableTimer=false

Any other setting and your logs may not be created or they may be residing in another location to that you expect.

Lastly if your game can safely run, modded or not, with normal playing then this utility is not needed, all it does is log how memory is used, not improve its use.

yeah logs ini are exactly as yours. lowering the default heap initial alloc to 768 seems to have done it. my last logs showed similar memory usage and are now showing the maximum capicity

Please take a screenshot of where your skse.ini is located. I know you say you have it correct, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Next, what text editor are you using to create the file? What file-encoding is it saving it in?

So all's good now?!

Yup it's all working properly

Please take a screenshot of where your skse.ini is located. I know you say you have it correct, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Next, what text editor are you using to create the file? What file-encoding is it saving it in?

here it is. Another thing I forgot to mention which was in fact the source of all this trouble was that my skse.ini was inside a file named skse INSIDE the skse file. So there were 2 skse files. major facepalm, I know.

post-8751-0-02226300-1465620915_thumb.png

Edited by hakeador3000

The folder layout in that screen shot isn't quite right. In this screenshot you should have this structure. This screenshot is from Mod Organizer's Filetree view of the SKSE mod. The important point to note is that you should have an SKSE folder below the scripts folder and the skse.ini file should be in this SKSE folder.

y3mDIho4bVM1ilOnKX65Rr2T9BwV8QXbsqZlj4kG

Remove the k from DefaultHeapInitialAllockMB, it should be DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB

The folder layout in that screen shot isn't quite right. In this screenshot you should have this structure. This screenshot is from Mod Organizer's Filetree view of the SKSE mod. The important point to note is that you should have an SKSE folder below the scripts folder and the skse.ini file should be in this SKSE folder.

y3mDIho4bVM1ilOnKX65Rr2T9BwV8QXbsqZlj4kG

Done and done. Thank you all so much for your help and your time. It means a lot!