DoubleYou

Memory Blocks Log (by Sheson)

Question

Discussion thread:
Memory Blocks Log by Sheson
Wiki Link

This is a utility for users who patch Skyrim according to Skyrim Memory Patch.
This SKSE plugin helps finding a good size for the first memory block (DefaultHeap).

I already have the line

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

in my skse.ini, located under ...Skyrim - Legendary Edition\Data\SKSE\
The MemoryBlocksLog still shows the maximum of 256 for the first block before the game crashes. I launch the game from Mod Organizer. The MO has no patch, where it could overwrite my skse.ini-settings. SKSE version is 1.7.1, so this fix should be included.

How to determine, which skse-settings do I use ingame?

Check that your MO doesn't have the skse.ini file included. You can look at the virtual directory on the Data tab of the right pane.

No, I have another problem: I have to use -forcesteamloader option with skse to work properly. But my Skyrim isn't a steam game. Never used steam at all.

According to Sheson you shouldn't raise either blocks above what is needed. If your memory allocation is going past 512, then the 2nd block takes care of the overflow.

There is no need to pre-allocate a much larger block than the game will actually need. In fact doing so can have a negative impact, because other parts of the game need memory as well and the more is pre-allocated to this specific block the less is available to the other processes.

The memory fix is NOT allocating MORE memory it is:

... we are telling it to pre-allocate the first block in one big continuous chunk instead of the default small chunk and later using additional smaller chunks somewhere else.

Lastly, to back up @hishutup's statement, Sheson counsels this:

It is only recommended to raise the first block to 512MB and leave the second block alone.

If your Skyrim isn't a Steam game, then it's obviously not a legit edition, since Skyrim required Steam to validate.

That's your problem. Where exactly did you get your Skyrim from?

As Nozzer66 said, Skyrim is a steamworks DRM game.
I'm sure you have your reasons but piracy isn't tolerated in the modding community

GrantSP, I know he said that and that is what is accepted but I have seen my game at one point hit 512 and then crash, I compared the timestamps 

That previous situation was back around the time of its discovery though and I didn't really know what was going on.

Since this is no longer related to the memory blocks log as a mod please move the discussion about the memory tweaks over to this topic

please read the OP before posting as posting there may not apply to everyone.

If you have a question or you want to share something that directly related to memory blocks log as a mod then feel free to post away. :D

@Keith

As always it's a great pleasure reading your "long" posts.

From my experience I do confirm all of your findings.

Happy new year!

@keithinhanoi

Kudos to you! Brilliant. Concise yet thorough, a very hard combination to produce.

If this can be bookmarked by all then we can all be assured of correct implementation of those settings.

Oh, and suppose we can thank @hishutup also, well done to you! Don't want you feeling left out.

Just came here to say much thanks for solving what appeared to be a mysterious series of CTDs that nearly derailed my third playthrough in Solstheim. I've been using 1.7.1 (settings are 768/256) and ENB 0.236/0.262 (896mb of VRAM/64mb of Reserved Memory), but I was perplexed about those CTDs that happened often to me, something I never experienced in previous playthroughs.

Yeah, I did gone through the week-long process of cleaning up gamesaves, optimizing textures, disabling certain scripted mods, and tried to tweak the enblocal.ini and Papyrus memory settings, did a lot of trial-and-error, reading my Mod Organizer logs, to nail the exact cause of CTDs but to no avail... Until now.

I think all the findings presented here should be disseminated as much as possible. I have also bookmarked this thread as valuable reference.

EDIT: did used the memory kung-fu as described in this thread -- had the best two hours of Solstheim, with 3 followers and did lots of dungeon raids, culminating with a showdown against Karstaag, and never once experienced a CTD. :D Again, I raise my mug of mead in thanks.

Edited by sa547

So, with a heavily modded Skyrim,

3gb VRAM,

16gb RAM,

and a Windows 7 64bit OS,

what would be the ideal settings in my skse and enblocal .ini?

(skse 1.7.2 and latest enb)

Edited by Vulgar1

You have to find out yourself. It's not difficult. Just watch the log.